PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Sebastian (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 12-06-2006, 13:40

Greetings to all.

I found this forum after few days of googleing for 'International SIM' and 'Global SIM', and finally clicking on the 'groups' where this forum was link from a posting in uk.telecom.mobile.

Basically I need a SIM card with UK mobile number with free incoming calls across the Europe. Not being a UK resident, some deals are not available to me (sim4travel.co.uk, for example). My requirements:

- must work with Nokia 6020, doesn't matter how complicated the call procedure is
- UK mobile network numeration
- must be cheap to send SMS from, as this will be my primary method of establishing calls

The providers I've been considering so far are:

0044.co.uk - they have very good SMS price (9p, AFAIK), however their list of supported mobile phones is very short and, of course, doesn't include Nokia 6020.

globalsim.net - the SMS is slightly more expensive (19 ct), but still acceptable. Nokia 6021 is listed among the 'best supported' models, which gives certain hope. Nokia 6020 still can't be found on any list.

BTW, do these providers transmit Caller ID information?

Anyway, I wrote above that SMS will be mostly used for establishing calls. Let me put some details. I've signed up with a SMS-to-email service provider, so they're picking all SMS sent to a (shared) SMS gateway number carrying my keyword and forwarding them to my mail server. The mail server (actually a OpenWRT box) receives the email and parses one or two numbers out of it. After the caller and callee telephone numbers have been identified, a small least-cost-routing table is being consulted to find the best available rate for those 2 calls. A call is established using a shell script access to the Web frontend of callback service at www.voxalot.com.

Previously I was using callback service from the www.easypabx.com, but I found it less convenient. First, it's a missed-call callback service, which means it depends on the Caller ID, and I'm not sure whether that info is passed by intl GSM card providers. Next, the DTMF over the VoIP can be very unreliable sometimes, and it's reliability depends on many factors: the GSM carrier, the VoIP provider and the method chosen to send it. Eventually I've concluded it's much more convenient to send those information over SMS, while the price for establishing the call in this manner being about the same as with DTMF dialing (if SMS pricing is reasonable, that is).

Finally, I prefer +44 mobile network, since I can make calls to it starting at only 8 ct/min (webcalldirect.com), and there are thousands of VoIP providers with attractive rates to UK mobile.

Thank you very much in advance for any feedback.

Old
  (#2)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-06-2006, 15:02

Telestial has a product:

http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?...CT_ID=MSIM-PP01

Yackie mobile (see link above) also has a UK mumber. It's a land line though which should be cheaper, but there is no free incoming call anywhere. You can also check the thread hare about yackie mobile.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/inde...showtopic=1211

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#3)
khalisha (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 12-06-2006, 15:22

Telestial's product appears to be a 0044 rebrand, so their SIM may not work with your phone either.

Khalisha
Zengo Wireless

Old
  (#4)
Sebastian (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 13-06-2006, 08:26

Thanks for the input, most likely I'll go with globalsim.net. In case my nokia 6020 won't work, I'll use one of the supported models, which it seems there are plenty. Yackie mobile doesn't suite me, since it doesn't provide free incoming calls.

Old
  (#5)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 13-06-2006, 10:08

It is the automatic dialing that doesn't work. You can manually code the callback with many of these phones, but the phone numbers you have to enter are complex -- very similar to the dialing we had to do with the Swisscom prepaid phones -- the original roaming SIM may it RIP.

Stu

Old
  (#6)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 13-06-2006, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian
Thanks for the input, most likely I'll go with globalsim.net. In case my nokia 6020 won't work, I'll use one of the supported models, which it seems there are plenty. Yackie mobile doesn't suite me, since it doesn't provide free incoming calls.
If the 6021 is in their list the 6020 will work as well. its the same model just without the (useless) camera

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#7)
Sebastian (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 29-06-2006, 13:08

Thanks for all the feedback. Got my GlobalSIM card a couple of days ago and it works flawlessly with both Nokia 6020 and 1100.