PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
FBlack_111 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Using VoIP to replace a land line - 15-06-2009, 17:14

A friend has 4 cell phones on a family plan with ATT. So he decided to give up his $40+ a month land line and buy a Magic Jack. He bought the Magic Jack because it's fairly inexpensive, has a jack to connect his regular phones to it, and it's easy to set up. He first tested his Roadrunner Cable modem and got a Jitter reading of 3.6 and packet loss of 0.

So he had me call him as a test. Frankly, I thought the sound was not very good. The volume was low and had less quality than a cell phone. There was a slight background echo of my voice and occasional broken speech.

So is this normal for all VoIP services? Or could it just be the Magic Jack or his system? Anyone have a better solution for replacing a land line that also connects to his other phones?

Old
  (#2)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-06-2009, 18:46

MagicJack is a low-end voice service and probably uses very aggressive compression. That's how it can include long distance for free.

Quality depends on what you pay. I find some VoIP services are indistinguishable from POTS (landlines) and others are awful.

Vonage is reasonably good if you want a prearranged solution. I created my own by getting a Linksys PAP2 box (unlocked) and getting accounts with les.net and voip.ms. That way I have full control over what hardware or software I use. I don't get unlimited calls but the per-minute rate is very low.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#3)
FBlack_111 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 15-06-2009, 19:47

PhotoJim'

Thanks for the info. I thought Linksys PAP2 boxes were locked to a provider? How do you unlock one?

How is the sound quality on voIP.ms?

Old
  (#4)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-06-2009, 20:15

I for one would not recommend a DYI provider such as les.net or voip.ms for a new user. Instead I would have them go with an integrated porvider such as Vonage or Lingo on the high end and VoIPo or Future-Nine on the low end.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#5)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-06-2009, 02:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack_111 View Post
PhotoJim'

Thanks for the info. I thought Linksys PAP2 boxes were locked to a provider? How do you unlock one?

How is the sound quality on voIP.ms?
voip.ms has two quality levels, with differing rates. The cheaper is too low quality for me. The more expensive, which is still very inexpensive, is much better.

You can buy unlocked PAP2 boxes. I got mine from eBay.

There is a learning curve so I don't totally disagree with the idea of doing a prepackaged solution. However, I was a VoIP newbie when I got my PAP2 and I was able to figure it out. Still, if the configuration breaks, it's up to me to fix it.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#6)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-06-2009, 18:29

I have been using voip only for more than 2 years now. My business only works on voip.
Different voip numbers in different countries.

I have us customers call me and answer it in europe. This is using les.net / pbxes.com and call quality is good.

Outgoing calls voicetrading and quality is also good.

Just remember get a good provider, their are many that are not that expensive. Call quality should normally be simular to normal phones.

Magic Jack is a software based solution and if your computer is busy or if it does not have qos than you might have some bad lines sometimes. Qos gives priority to voip calls over other interent traffic. Most modern hardware devices have qos installed. If you have a router you need on e with qos.

It does work. For example i was downloading using emule. Whenever I made a call I could see the emule speed drop in favour on voip. ended the call and the download speed of emule went up again. But specially with p2p traffic if you download a lot and have manu incoming connections than even when you have qos voip might not work 100%

Old
  (#7)
FBlack_111 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-06-2009, 07:14

If someone sets up a VoIP system using an ATA such as a Grandstream HT-502 or HT-486 is there a way to connect all the phones in a house to the system? Also, will any provider help with the setup?

Old
  (#8)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 20-06-2009, 14:12

All you need to do is unhook your house from POTs system. You can often do this at the terminal box outside the house. Often it is as easy as unplug one RJ11. Once you do that, you can plug the ATA in anywhere in the house. Even though the POTs line has been turned off, you still need to disconnect it. There is still current on a disconnected POTs line. Some even automatically connect you to telephone co. customer service so they can see you on reconnection. There is also signal degradation issues as your VOIP signal now takes a joyride to the switching station.

The mistake many people make on VOIP is to confuse the quality of the connection they are hearing with the conneciton that the other guy is hearing. The two can be often vastly different. Many broadband providers skimp on the upload bandwith. This can often result in your voice breaking up or distorting while you can hear the other guy just fine.

Old
  (#9)
andy3450 (Offline)

Default 20-06-2009, 15:55

i am also planning to buy a voip system for my office use what would be the best option? Magic jack has very negative reviews so what else resonable services are available?