PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-01-2011, 17:20

I use my Andriod phone as Wifi router/hotspot Works well.

Old
  (#22)
akraus88 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 26-01-2011, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post
If you are a power traveller (like me), and want to use T-Mobile USA UMA all over the world, for no additional costs, you can get unlimited international data add on from Verizon for $69 a month to any phone plan, but, you have to have at least the $29 a month domestic data plan. You can then buy a GSM MiFi, like the MiFi 2372. You stick the Verizon SIM (given for international use) into the Mifi when you're away, and, you use it as a mobile hotspot, wherever you are, and, use UMA from your T-Mobile phone, connecting to the MiFi hotspot via WiFi.. The nice part is, you can cancel and reactivate the Verizon international data plan, pro-rated, before you leave, and, when you return. So, in effect, to be international 80 days a year, would end up costing you about $160, with unlimited 3g data. Since you also need to have the $29 a month domestic data always in place, it would make sense to get a Verizon Android phone, and, use the mobile hotspot feature domestically.

PS - I believe Verizon is the last US carrier to offer unlimited international data
Are/were you sober when you wrote the above post?, there is NO unlimited international data plan anywhere, the only plan-Blackberry unlimited worldwide that was available, has also been stopped since around Jan. 15.

Old
  (#23)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-01-2011, 07:19

T-Mobile U.S. has an unlimited BB Email plan that can be used world wide. Cost is $20/mo pro-rated for the time you are overseas. (You turn it on and off.) I think ATT also has an unlimited BB email plan.
Just email - no other data.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#24)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 27-01-2011, 03:20

I have heard of some Android users getting on the Verizon Blackberry plan. ATT allowed some non-Blackberry devices on their plan. I have iPhone International which gives me the same rules. I fear that the various providers will use LTE and HSPA+ as a tool to force us off these plans. I would rather have global HSPA than US only 3.5g, but that may not be most people. I would also rather pay US$500 for my next smart phone than taking a subsidy which would force me into a different solution. One of the nice things about being a stubborn fool is that after a couple of years, the carriers forget about you.

Old
  (#25)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-01-2011, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have heard of some Android users getting on the Verizon Blackberry plan. ATT allowed some non-Blackberry devices on their plan. I have iPhone International which gives me the same rules. I fear that the various providers will use LTE and HSPA+ as a tool to force us off these plans. I would rather have global HSPA than US only 3.5g, but that may not be most people. I would also rather pay US$500 for my next smart phone than taking a subsidy which would force me into a different solution. One of the nice things about being a stubborn fool is that after a couple of years, the carriers forget about you.
You are quite right Stu. I don't buy subsidized phone for quite some time too(about 4 and half years now). In long run, it does pay off well as you are not taken as hostage by your mobile operator. This saved me more than enough and I can use gadgets I like, not only ones which are available by given operator.

Old
  (#26)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 25-02-2011, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraus88 View Post
Are/were you sober when you wrote the above post?, there is NO unlimited international data plan anywhere, the only plan-Blackberry unlimited worldwide that was available, has also been stopped since around Jan. 15.
Yes, I was sober. I actually have the AT&T unlimited Blackberry international data plan, that ceased in June 1 of last year. I have never used it in a Blackberry, and, have enjoyed unlimited data everywhere for the past 4 years (Japan, Hong Kong, all of Europe, Australia) by simply using the wap.Cingular APN.

I walked into a Verizon store 2 weeks ago (in Los Angeles), and, they again confirmed unlimited international data (on Blackberries, and also possibly any phone) is an additional $69 a month. But, wiht the knowledge of the APN, you can use it on a mifi, or other router type device. Also I believe Sprint has an unlimited plan. Yes, I believe they will cease as well, but, theyre good to get while the bettongs good.