PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 18-01-2013, 14:06

I was just in Israel 10 days, and the Orange sim worked perfectly,
I used the 130NIS bonus pack (about $33) = 500 sheqel in Israel (about 400 mins) + 80 sheqel to call local or abroad + 500MB bundle
There are cheaper packs if you don't need as much.
I found a sim on ebay, and the vendor added the bonus pack just before I got there, very convenient! (not sure if OK to mention him here)

Old
  (#22)
FF99 (Offline)

Default 05-02-2013, 21:24

A few quick questions.

Is the Orange shop at the airport reasonably user friendly (reasonably quick service and helpful staff) ? My first stop will be the King David in Jerusalem - is there a shop nearby if I can't sort things out at the airport ?

Does Orange allow access to all VOIP services (inc Skype) ? Some mobile operators seems to block such services.

Finally, is tethering allowed (or whether allowed or not, does it actually work) ? Could I use the SIM in a dongle if required ?

Old
  (#23)
sperial (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 06-02-2013, 13:21

There is no Orange (or any other cellular carrier) shop at the airport - all were closed several years ago. Orange prepaid SIM cards and top ups can be purchased at any post office and in most shopping centers.
I am unaware of any restriction on the use of data or tethering - Israeli regulations require Net Neutrality. I use tethering on a pospaid Orange line with no problem at all.

Old
  (#24)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 06-02-2013, 22:53

and you can buy the sim cards on ebay, and some sellers will top up for you, put various packages on, etc.

Old
  (#25)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 28-04-2013, 14:52

Piranha mobile has recently dropped prices for Israel, 15c (USD) to make local calls (but it's callback system), 8c to receive, good rates for international, and either 23c or 30c/MB for data. Even cheaper VOIP option.
They will add an Israeli number to your phone for a monthly charge, so you have to remember to cancel. But you'll also have incoming UK and US numbers working.
beats any other global sim.
Orange is still better if you want lots of data.

Old
  (#26)
sperial (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 28-04-2013, 16:13

hMobile (HomeCellular), an MVNO riding on Cellcom's network (GSM 1800, 3G2100/850) offers a prepid SIM with wide range of top up possibilities. SIM cards can be purchased at all Home Center DIY shops (most in "power centers" at the outskirts of cities, but some in shopping malls).
The prepaid SIM costs ILS 29 (about EUR 6.2 or USD 8 ).
Scarth cards with values of ILS 35, 50 or 100 (plus ILS 5 recharge fee) give 77, 115 or 244 minutes to any Israeli land or mobile network, for ILS 0.39 (EUR 0.083, USD 0.11). The top up is valid for 12 months.
Top ups using an automated call center have unlimited validity. Top ups are ILS 35, 60, 100, 150, 200, 300 (without additional fees) for 90,154,256, 385, 517, 770 minutes or SMS.
A third type of recharge are "Bonus" cards: ILS 10 fot 20 min/SMS, valid for 2 days, ILS 40 for 90min/SMS valid for 14 days, ILS 70 for 180 min/SMS valis 30 days and ILS 105 for 350min/SMS valis for 30 days.
Data is ILS 0.50 (EUR 0.11, USD 0.14) /MB.
The call Center/IVR can be reached by dialling *111 from an hMobile line or 055-2233111 from any network. As in all Israeli networks, the sevice is given in Hebrew, English, Arabic or Russian.
Terms uf use are shown here (scroll down for English, Russian and Arabic versions).
HomeCellular numbers use the form 055-22XXXXX

Old
  (#27)
sperial (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-06-2013, 17:18

Another MVNO recently joined te prepaid market, with a plan called "pretalk": Youphone. SIM cards can be purchased at the MEGA and amm supermarkets and Alon gas stations. SIM cards cost NIS 39 (EUR 8.14), including ILS 30 (EUR 6.23) charge. Top ups are ILS 30 valid for 30 days or ILS 50 valid for 1 year, witj ILS 0.25 (EUR 0.05) per minute, SMS or 1MB data. A third tp up possibility is ILS 99 (EUR 20) for 1000 min, 1000 SMS and 500MB, valid for 30 days.

However, it appears that the best deal is Golan Telecom hybrid prepeid-postpaid service: It is rumored that the company started acceping nn-Israeli credit cards, wwich make it convenient for travellers. For ILS 99 (EUR 20.66) charged at the beginning of each charge cycle (hence "prepaid") you get unlimited minutes in Israel and to landlines in 55 foreign countries, unlimited SMS in Israel and 3MB data. Roaming is also cheap, and the contract may be cancelled at any time using the control panel on the internet site and answering a confirmation call.
Golan SIM cards cost ILS 39 (EUR 8.14) and may be purchased at the Bug computer stores, present in most shopping malls and centers.

Old
  (#28)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-07-2013, 10:30

Hi Sperial!
After a long time I wrote the pages about hMobile and Youphone here on PrepaidGSM
Israel

Just a some little questions:
- Youphone: which networks uses?
- hMobile: how much credit is included in the starting kit?

Our pages about the 3 network operators are incredibly old: can you please write here an update? THanks a lot!

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#29)
sperial (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 03-07-2013, 12:45

YouPhone uses the Orange (partner) network.
AFAIK hMobile's starter kit includes no credit.
Just to update on Rami-Levy - prepaid data packagas can be purchased and cost NIS 55 (EUR 11.64)/5MB or NIS 75(EUS 15.8/10mb)
Anyway, the best offer for tourists is Golan's "hybrid" prepaid/postpaid plan, as they accept non Israeli credit cards. An "unlimited" plan which includes unlimited minutes to landlines in 55 countries and 3GB data obviates the need to keep track of use or pay the hotel very high charges for connectivity. Just remember to disconnect the line when you leave the country (or change the plan to the NIS 9.99/month if you wish to keep the number). For a limited - but undisclosed - time the first two months of the "unlimited" plan is free of charge, as this new (1 year old) company tries to enlarge it's customer basis.
The prepaid offers by the "big three" (Orange, Cellcom and Pelephone) are changing very slowly as the Israeli market is moving toward the "unlimited" postpaid packages which cost ILS 60-120 (EUR 13-26) per month, with some plans including international calling. However, they do offer a more diverse selection of charge options.

Last edited by sperial; 03-07-2013 at 12:54..

Old
  (#30)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-07-2013, 12:54

I already wrote the Golan offer on PPGSM too.

So the basic offers by the "big 3" are still the same?
Or should I update those pages:
PrePaidGSM: Orange (Israel)
PrePaidGSM: Cellcom (Israel)
PrePaidGSM: Pelephone (Israel)

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim