PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-06-2017, 16:50

The extra rules were applied to me one or two years ago, when I bought my last Tuenti SIM in a store.
I later asked the customer support and they confirmed this. So it seemed to be official policy. That's different to that poor American guy who was charged €55 for a Vodafone CallYa 1GB starter in a downtown Berlin branded Vodafone store. This starter costs €10 for every human being in Germany and Vodafone was furious when I told them.

With Tuenti in Spain it's essentially only a problem when you want to stay with them for one month only. When you stay for longer, it's no issue as you can still use your credit. I think they are only fed up with the 1-month-tourists who come and go.

I don't know if they have revised their rules again and would like to hear some feedback from new foreign Tuenti users what they have experienced buying a starter in a store. As this policy is surely against EU regulations not to discriminate against other EU citizens. As you see above, EU customer protection doesn't apply to Americans

So if you've got a Tuenti SIM in a store, tell me. They are sold not only in some Movistar stores, but in the larger FNAC, El Corte Inglés, Telecor and in MediaMarkt/Saturn stores too. Here is a locator:
https://www.tuenti.com/movil/puntos-de-venta

Also have in mind that the summer triple data promotion ends 26/09/17 (that's 09/26/17 for US Americans) and from that date on only regular rates will be charged on new bonos (bundles).

Last edited by wolfbln; 26-06-2017 at 17:14..

Old
  (#22)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-07-2017, 07:19

I had no luck finding Tuenti SIM in Palma, Mallorca, back in April.

Two big Cortes Ingles stores, neither had any. In one, they had separate kiosks for Movistar, Vodafone and Orange. I couldn't even get the International Smartphone SIM in these stores.

So I went to a Movistar store and no Tuenti. Orange stores charged more for Mundo or Balena SIMs than advertised on their sites.

So now I'm in Bilbao and I ordered the Tuenti SIM with the current promotion of 12 GB for 14 Euro. They required me to add 1 Euro to have as a remaining balance so I paid a total of 15 Euro.

They delivered it to my Bilbao hotel and I picked it up last night. It was activated already (of course when I ordered online, I had to enter my passport number).

First it showed 3G and then LTE. I entered the APN, user and password values for the hotspot fields on my iPad Air 2 and hotspot became available after I rebooted it.

I tried the Tuenti app. US App. Store indicated multiple language support but it's in Spanish.

Speeds are okay in center of Bilbao, about 19 Mbps down. The network ID says "Tuenti" not the "Movistar" network it's suppose to be using.

Great to have a lot of data. Not sure what kind of Wifi speeds some of the hotels I'll be staying at will have. But I'm visiting Asturia as well as the Basque country and in some places, Movistar 4G coverage is spotty, so will see how it goes.

I have another trip at the end of August, to Munich and Austria. If I could recharge within the app. using my US credit card, I may try it, because the German rates aren't so great. Haven't researched Austrian rates yet.

But with RLAH, it would be nice to get another 12 GB bundle at the end of August and use it in Germany and Austria, though who knows which networks it will roam on.

Old
  (#23)
ggking7 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-07-2017, 12:39

Recharging with my US credit card in the app was one of my favorite things about Tuenti. I used Vodaphone this time but my US credit card always failed in their app.

Old
  (#24)
gaztelugatxe (Offline)
Official Member

Default 09-07-2017, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I had no luck finding Tuenti SIM in Palma, Mallorca, back in April.

Two big Cortes Ingles stores, neither had any. In one, they had separate kiosks for Movistar, Vodafone and Orange. I couldn't even get the International Smartphone SIM in these stores.

So I went to a Movistar store and no Tuenti. Orange stores charged more for Mundo or Balena SIMs than advertised on their sites.

So now I'm in Bilbao and I ordered the Tuenti SIM with the current promotion of 12 GB for 14 Euro. They required me to add 1 Euro to have as a remaining balance so I paid a total of 15 Euro.

They delivered it to my Bilbao hotel and I picked it up last night. It was activated already (of course when I ordered online, I had to enter my passport number).

First it showed 3G and then LTE. I entered the APN, user and password values for the hotspot fields on my iPad Air 2 and hotspot became available after I rebooted it.

I tried the Tuenti app. US App. Store indicated multiple language support but it's in Spanish.

Speeds are okay in center of Bilbao, about 19 Mbps down. The network ID says "Tuenti" not the "Movistar" network it's suppose to be using.

Great to have a lot of data. Not sure what kind of Wifi speeds some of the hotels I'll be staying at will have. But I'm visiting Asturia as well as the Basque country and in some places, Movistar 4G coverage is spotty, so will see how it goes.

I have another trip at the end of August, to Munich and Austria. If I could recharge within the app. using my US credit card, I may try it, because the German rates aren't so great. Haven't researched Austrian rates yet.

But with RLAH, it would be nice to get another 12 GB bundle at the end of August and use it in Germany and Austria, though who knows which networks it will roam on.

Hello wco81

Welcome to be the Basque Country

Tuenti/Movistar has a great 3G+2G coverage in most places even remote locations but Vodafone's 4G seems to be wider and I think less congested.

I'm using Vodafone 4G in the outskirts of Bilbao (Urban area) with same results now (2 tests --> 20 Mbps down, ping 32-34 ms)

You can also use tuenti app to make voip internacional phone calls free of charge (please check included destinations) and it won´t even consume data if you're within Spain. You can of course use wifi to call with tuenti App. Tuenti users say with 4G/3G voip calls with their APP are fairly good.

You can also use RLAH with Tuenti within European Union (confirmed by them), even voip calls (data comsumption will be taken into consideration)

Tuenti has got also speed reduction when reached amount of data purchased (I think 64kbps)

Regards

Old
  (#25)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-08-2017, 06:32

Hey gaztelugatxe.

I enjoyed my trip to Basque country, though I stopped by the place your name references on my way back from Donastia to Bilbao.

Unfortunately, it was fogged over so the visibility wasn't the greatest that day. But I saw it also on Game of Thrones.

I wrote up more details about my experiences with Tuenti in the Prepaid Data in Spain thread.

But thanks for letting me know about Vodafone. Something I'll keep in mind if I re-visit.