PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#81)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-12-2012, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeeper View Post
We have just had a bill of almost £1000.00 for calling our daughter (lots) as she is traveling round the world.
This is the point I try to make about the "free incoming" cards. At some point someone has to pay the piper. In my case that will most frequently be me or my family. I'd rather have a card that offers a reasonable and rational rate plan than one that is tied to some premium prefix that either gets hugely surcharged or blacklisted.

Old
  (#82)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-12-2012, 17:32

have a look also here: http://www.piranha-mobile.com/roaming.pdf to fully understand how estonian based simcards like xxsim make profit from their customers.

Old
  (#83)
Eustar (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-12-2012, 18:29

The EU has a lot of options for telecom cheap calls, here's an example!

cheap calls from UK to Estonia

Cheap Calls to Estonia - just 1p/min | DialToSave

Cheap Calls to Estonia 1p per minute, Call to Estonia, International Calls to Estonia

Cheap Calls to Estonia | First Number (UK)

PrePay sim - Lycamobile | Low Cost international calls | Best international SIM card | Free SIMs

PrePay sim - International Calls & Free SIMs | Pay As You Go | Lebara

look on the internet there are a lot of options for cheap calls from UK

Cheap calls from A - D - CH - F to Estonia etc

Billig nach Estland telefonieren vom Handy

Festnetz Schnellrechner für Telefontarife und Call by Call

PrePay sim - Welcome to Lycamobile - The New Lycamobile Pay As You Go SIM

PrePay sim - Günstig Telefonieren | Telefonieren ins Ausland | Lebara

PrePay sim - Lycamobile | Günstige Auslandsgespräche | Beste internationale SIM-Karte | Kostenlose SIM-Karten

PrePay sim - vectonmobile.at

PrePay sim - Billig Telefonieren | Telefonieren ins Ausland | Vectone Mobile

PrePay sim - Tarife

pennyphone.be - Le moins cher pour appeler l'étranger ! Gunstig naar het beitenland telefoneren !

Llamadas Internacionales baratas a movil a precios locales

I personally use Xxsim and I have no complaints from the client does when it is too expensive to call from their country etc.

I do not advocate Xxsim experience but I will be glad to share with everyone.

(Fsotirop, refrain from comments without basis, thanks)

My favorite sim and VoIP for roaming in Europe and worldwide:

UWT-mobile and Xxsim: for call+sms in Europa extern and Worldwide
ToggleMobile: for internet+call+sms only in EU intern
(VoIP/Sip) FriendCaller or SipCall.ch
: Worldwide sms+call

Old
  (#84)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-12-2012, 18:02

Eustar -
You can't, really, expect people to take your post seriously? If I give my flaky Estonian SIM number for people to call - why would I expect them to know they can't dial it in the usual manner (without incurring huge costs if their carrier even allows the call to go thru)?
In my case, if I use a "int'l SIM", I get one w. a U.S. number and simply forward my regular number to that SIM's U.S. number or give out the SIM number. Couldn't do that with an Estonian or IOM SIM.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#85)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-12-2012, 18:13

please don't bother EUSTAR from his meaningless spamming about xxsim!

have a look also here: http://www.piranha-mobile.com/roaming.pdf to fully understand how estonian based simcards like xxsim make profit out from their customers.

Last edited by fsotirop; 08-12-2012 at 18:18..

Old
  (#86)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 08-12-2012, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsotirop View Post
please don't bother EUSTAR from his meaningless spamming about xxsim!

have a look also here: http://www.piranha-mobile.com/roaming.pdf to fully understand how estonian based simcards like xxsim make profit out from their customers.
Sure, this is the business model for all SIM that offer zero cent per minute for their customers. The other way is to charge the customer per minute and give cheaper minutes to the callers. The sum will be the same. Just a matter of communication.
If i take our reliable carrier it charges 13ct/min to Camel, 15ct/min to XX and 5ct/min to Piranha. From our cellphone all three cost 29ct/min...

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#87)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 08-12-2012, 18:52

I have moved from free incoming numbers because it was a game of "whack a mobile." Wack a mole was a video game where you tried to stop a mole from popping up. When you whacked the mole, it popped up elsewhere.

I used to purchase free incoming SIMs, find the cheapest route to connect to it, forward a DID to it from my Asterisks box. These rates, however, would change on the fly. The typical carrier didn't realize that they were quoting a particular termination below cost and would try to retroactively change the rates which would create a fight. Sometimes I'd win, sometimes I'd lose. When I won, I'd win that fight only and then would have an unusued balance witht he carrier that I would have to try and use up doing something else. I'd also wind up buying new SIMs on new routes and repeating the saga.

Perhaps it is a product of age, but I decided that I was better paying a little bit more and getting a little more certainty. I don't ask people to make international calls to reach me, I eat that. Therefore, it is a question of whether I pay the VOIP carrier or the roaming SIM provider. I decided to try Plan B.

Plan A (the super cheap approach) also contributed to the company's failures. They projected a profit plan (in a narrow profit industry) based on receiving termination rates that were often not paid. Many of these folks also assumed that the ratio of incoming to outgoing calls that applied in domestic cellular behavior would extend to international. I think people organize their life to take advantage of the cheaper incoming rates and carriers that don't plan for this take a bath.

Old
  (#88)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-12-2012, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
Sure, this is the business model for all SIM that offer zero cent per minute for their customers. The other way is to charge the customer per minute and give cheaper minutes to the callers. The sum will be the same. Just a matter of communication.
If i take our reliable carrier it charges 13ct/min to Camel, 15ct/min to XX and 5ct/min to Piranha. From our cellphone all three cost 29ct/min...
from our pstn carrier (business plan) in Greece calling to Camel costs 0.21eur, to xxsim 0.29eur. and to US numbers 0.09..per minute billing

from our reliable voip company calling to Camel costs 0.12eur, to xxsim 0.19eur. and to US numbers like piranha's just 0.01eur... with per second billing.

from our Greek mobilephones (business plan) calling to Camel costs 0.30eur, to xxsim 0.50eur. and to US numbers 0.14..per minute billing

Old
  (#89)
gkeeper (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-12-2012, 19:52

all very confusing, all I know if that when I tried the Xxsim, my home phone my wife was using to call me got stung, I have looked again at costs and making a call from France to my home was £0.11p with my Piranha and £0.04p to receive a call. Using XxSim maybe free to receive, but I was paying €0.19 cents to call home, to me this is a big difference and I would rather have the £0.04p incoming and cheap outgoing than the wallop I got from my wife for letting her call high rate numbers, especially when we found out she could have rang me for £0.01p per minute. Good thing she does not read these forums, I would be in more trouble:>)

Last edited by gkeeper; 08-12-2012 at 19:57..

Old
  (#90)
powerlifter (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-12-2012, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have moved from free incoming numbers because it was a game of "whack a mobile." Wack a mole was a video game where you tried to stop a mole from popping up. When you whacked the mole, it popped up elsewhere.

I used to purchase free incoming SIMs, find the cheapest route to connect to it, forward a DID to it from my Asterisks box. These rates, however, would change on the fly. The typical carrier didn't realize that they were quoting a particular termination below cost and would try to retroactively change the rates which would create a fight. Sometimes I'd win, sometimes I'd lose. When I won, I'd win that fight only and then would have an unusued balance witht he carrier that I would have to try and use up doing something else. I'd also wind up buying new SIMs on new routes and repeating the saga.

Perhaps it is a product of age, but I decided that I was better paying a little bit more and getting a little more certainty. I don't ask people to make international calls to reach me, I eat that. Therefore, it is a question of whether I pay the VOIP carrier or the roaming SIM provider. I decided to try Plan B.

Plan A (the super cheap approach) also contributed to the company's failures. They projected a profit plan (in a narrow profit industry) based on receiving termination rates that were often not paid. Many of these folks also assumed that the ratio of incoming to outgoing calls that applied in domestic cellular behavior would extend to international. I think people organize their life to take advantage of the cheaper incoming rates and carriers that don't plan for this take a bath.
I could not have said it better myself. This is why I have stopped using Intl. sim cards. I have used Hop and GT-sim. I got burned on both cards. So now I have a UK sim that I use for roaming if I am only be in a country for a day or so. If I am spending any time there I will get a local sim. If some one needs to reach me I use a call forwarding service to reach me anywhere in the world I am in. Yes in some countries it is somewhat expensive, but I can deduct the cost to business expenses. If I remembered correctly Hop was 35 cents to receive and 99 cents to call. So not a cheap sim at all .
If I need to make a call back home there is Skype which is to me a great product for the price.

[size=1]Prepaid cards, Moldova Tempo, Kyrg Republic BiTel, India Hutch, Bulgaria Mtel, Vodafone, UK. Etisalat. UAE. Afghan Wireless, Afghanistan. Three, UK. T-mobile post-paid.

Phones Gsm Iphone6+

Tags
travelsim, xxsim