PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
sportacus (Offline)

Default Data plan on TIM? - 31-05-2009, 15:50

I've had a TIM prepaid card for about 8 years. In the past I've only been using it for calls and text but I recently bought a Nokia e71 and am now using the card for data (email and browsing). I have not changed anything regarding my plan, I just popped the SIM card into my new phone and I had internet access as long as I had credit.

My question - is there a specific (prepaid) data plan I could or should ask for that might be cheaper? I only spend a few months a year in Italy and when I am here I'm often at home where I can use WiFi, but a couple days a week when I'm out and about I'd like to be in touch. I have looked at the TIM web site but can't make much sense of what they offer. And do these cards ever get old, (as in outmoded)? 8 years is a long time. Thanks.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-06-2009, 12:06

Maxxi Alice Week - TIM

This is an interesting offer, but working only with the wap apn.
Otherwise, if you need an internet apn, there's nothing for less than 20€/month...
BTW here is information in English:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/italia/tim.html

Wind and 3 have much better options.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
sportacus (Offline)

Default 03-06-2009, 17:17

Thank you, I'll look into Maxxi Alice when I'm back in Italy this weekend. Meanwhile, what would be the limitations of the wap apn in terms of access?

Thank you for your time.

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-06-2009, 07:55

I think you can use wap only through your mobile, no e-mail service and limited surfing to wap websites. I.e., quite an unuseful service... but probably, using a proxy, you can also surf to normal web pages...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#5)
sportacus (Offline)

Default 04-06-2009, 08:36

Unuseful indeed. So - can I port my number to Wind or 3? And if so, which would you recommend (for my e71) based on my needs outlined previously?

Thank you, you've been extremely helpful.

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-06-2009, 13:43

Both are good. Wind has a good data add-on called Mega1500 which offers about 500MB/month for 8€ (plus 4€ as activation fee), while 3 has the Naviga3 option which offers 50MB/day for 9€/month or 100MB/day for 3€/week (no activation cost). The monthly options are recurring (both Wind and 3), while the weekly option is not automatically renovated.

What is VERY important is to check if you have coverage in the area you are interested into and which kind of coverage you have. The offer by 3 only works on their WCDMA network, while it's not valid on national roaming on TIM (check HERE for the coverage).
Wind has a wider coverage in GSM but smaller in WCDMA, so once again it would be good to see if you have WCDMA (which is of course much better for data).

Porting your number should not be a problem, but it can take some time. Since you loose your credit when you port the number to another operator, I suggest you to directly buy a new simcard.

Old
  (#7)
sportacus (Offline)

Default 04-06-2009, 14:55

According to their map, which is quite detailed, I am well covered (in UMTS and HSPDA) by 3 in all the areas into which I normally venture. I also like the €3 a week option as it fits my frequent travel in and out of the country. I presume I can reactivate it online once my account is set up. I'll check it out this weekend.

GRAZIE MILLE!!!!!!

Old
  (#8)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-06-2009, 07:43

Prego!
I agree the option on 3 could be perfect for your use.
If you need any help feel free to ask!