PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-09-2012, 18:25

There's another report on nano-SIMs in the UK's Daily Mail:

iPhone 5 features leaked: A new SIM card needed as well as new docks and chargers? | Mail Online

Note that the accuracy of the journalism is often poor in this newspaper, evidenced by the author's incorrect claim that "Apple has an annual refresh rate for their smartphone, traditionally unveiling it each September for a launch in October". In fact, 2012 will be the first year in September and 2011 was the first year in October. Therefore don't take all the other reported facts as true.

Old
  (#12)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-09-2012, 23:27

I assume that most readers of this forum are enlightened and so are neither scientologists nor Apple customers, but nevertheless let me mention that NanoSIMs are fully backward compatible to all previous form factors. Since the contacts layout has remained the same you just need to prune older SIM cards to match the new form factor. NanoSIMs are 0.09mm (that's less than a tenth of a millimeter!) flatter than previous SIM cards but I doubt SIM slots are made that precisely that a tenth of a millimeter will make a difference.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#13)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-09-2012, 23:54

I find it hard to believe that a micro-sim or even a regular sim takes up much space and weight in a phone, esp as the trend is toward larger phones like the Samsung S3. I'd suggest that part of the point is to protect the carriers and make it harder to switch sims, reducing competition.

Old
  (#14)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-09-2012, 00:06

There's definitely no technical necessicty to further reduce SIM card size. What you suggest is absolutely true and in line with what I said on the previous page.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#15)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-09-2012, 10:37

If Apple were using the smaller size to accommodate a dual SIM card slot in the iPhone 5, I'm sure we in this forum would all be very supportive of the idea. It may happen one day, but would not be marketed to frequent travellers like us, but to people who want a personal and a business line simultaneously active in the same phone. Although some networks offer line 2 (Alternative Line Service), this requires both lines to be from the same network, but many people use a different network from their employer.

Old
  (#16)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 14-09-2012, 13:13

In case someone needs it, here's a template for cutting Mini and Micro SIMs to NanoSIMs: http://www.airportal.de/How_to_cut_M...o_Nano_SIM.pdf

Last edited by inquisitor; 14-09-2012 at 14:05..

Old
  (#17)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-09-2012, 11:36

Good news. CNET Asia, who obtained an iPhone 5 today before most consumers in Europe, have confirmed that you don't need to reduce the thickness of a mini-SIM or micro-SIM when cutting it to a nano-SIM. The iPhone 5's SIM tray allows enough room. See Hacked iPhone 5 nano-SIM--thickness doesn't matter - Crave - Mobile Phones - CNET Asia

Old
  (#18)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 21-09-2012, 14:04

I think the iPhone 5 would have earned better reviews if it had added groundbreaking features such as:

* A removable/replaceable battery
* A MicroSD card slot
* An on-off switch
* Use of normal SIM cards
* A standard USB interface

And yes, dual SIM would be a great idea.

(I won't be buying one.)

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#19)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-09-2012, 19:28

I have cut maybe 15 SIMs to use them with Dual SIM Adapters like this one Dual Sim (there are many others) and only 1 SIM did not survive (I claimed warranty and told the customer care lady that it failed after only 2 days. They sent me a new one for free....)
It can happen and it is common, that there occurs a little gap between contacts and plastic of the SIM after cutting. This gap should be filled with epoxy glue to ensure correct contact pressure.

Old
  (#20)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 01-10-2012, 09:30

If anyone needs adapters to convert a nano-SIM to a micro-SIM or mini-SIM, O2 UK are giving away prepaid nano-SIM packs for free in their shops. The pack includes two adapters.