PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
ChrisM (Offline)

Question Can I use the iPhone 3G with a Fonic SIM? - 17-09-2011, 15:04

Sorry about my ignorance on all things international and SIM related. I am traveling to Germany in late October and I have a unlocked iPhone 3g (off contract now).

So, here is my ignorance showing... can I just purchase a Fonic pre-paid SIM card and use it within Germany? I believe by unlocking my phone that I am able to switch SIM cards and carriers. In doing some research, the AT&T store people didn't think I would be able to do it...

Old
  (#12)
HowieB (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 04-10-2011, 11:27

I recently bought a Fonic SIM-Card from germansimcard.com
I paid no Vat and got 20 € of credit, the net cost was almost 20$ and I received the SIM-Card and the number before departure.
Since I use the daily flatrate...it just works!

Last edited by HowieB; 04-10-2011 at 11:28.. Reason: Grammatical error

Old
  (#13)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-10-2011, 16:57

As you might have noticed from the Lidl mobile thread, I favour Lidl over Fonic due to the cheaper and better data tariffs. Except for data tariffs Lidl and Fonic are nearly identical in all other aspects since Lidl is a rebranded product actually offered by the same company (Fonic GmbH).
However in contrast to Fonic Lidl accept PayPal and credit cards for online orders, so this might also be an option:
Lidl Mobile Starterpaket - Lidl Deutschland - lidl.de
Unfortunately they don't ship outside Germany.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#14)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-10-2011, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
As you might have noticed from the Lidl mobile thread, I favour Lidl over Fonic due to the cheaper and better data tariffs. Except for data tariffs Lidl and Fonic are nearly identical in all other aspects since Lidl is a rebranded product actually offered by the same company (Fonic GmbH).
However in contrast to Fonic Lidl accept PayPal and credit cards for online orders, so this might also be an option:
Lidl Mobile Starterpaket - Lidl Deutschland - lidl.de
Unfortunately they don't ship outside Germany.
Yes, but practically it is much easier to get Fonic starter kits than Lidl starter kits... In so far the link from HowieB might be useful for travellers as well.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#15)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-10-2011, 10:09

and demanding ~€ 40 for a SIM card, which costs € 10 in Germany is a real rip-off. I do send Lidl SIMs to any forum member at cost (~ € 15 incl. insured worldwide shipping and PayPal fees) - the only thing I earn are those € 5 from the referral program if my Lidl number is provided upon activation.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#16)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-10-2011, 13:34

well, its a commercial service. If you want you can use it, if not you dont have to...

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#17)
dduane (Offline)

Default 23-10-2011, 14:46

Just to confirm from a registration of a few days ago that the Fonic registration process clearly offers you a choice of initial topup and payment preferences (as radio buttons): from your German bank account, or from the aufladebons / topup vouchers you buy from retailers. (For those not familiar with these: they come in the form of small cards usually hanging on hooks near the other Fonic products at the retailer. When you take the cards to the register and purchase them, the twelve-digit topup code is printed on the sales receipt.)

Also a quick note about the issue of whether passports or other ID are required for purchase of the SIM itself: at the DM-drogerie in Nuremberg where I picked up mine, the suggestion seemed to take the sales staff by surprise. Though I showed them my passport, no one seemed interested in taking any note of the info in it.

Registration went smoothly, and the SIM was online within a few hours. The topup from a 20-euro aufladebon went without a hitch. I immediately signed up via text for the one-day unlimited surfing tariff: both the message confirming receipt of the request and the confirmation that the service had begun came through within minutes.

The Fonic SIM works beautifully in a smartphone, whether just used for mobile browsing or when using the phone as a wireless hotspot. The network speeds were quite high, though I couldn't give you exact numbers. I never did get around to putting the new SIM into an unlocked Huawei stick or MeFi: for the time being, that can wait.

When we're back in Germany next month I plan to get at least two more of these to go in my husband's phone and the stick, and possibly a SIM from the Lidl as well for the MeFi. Thanks again to Inquisitor and the others here whose advice has made this process way simpler than it might have been otherwise.

Best! -- Diane

Diane Duane | The Owl Springs Partnership | Co. Wicklow, Ireland
YoungWizards.com | EuropeanCuisines.com | DianeDuane.com

Old
  (#18)
HowieB (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 25-10-2011, 10:35

Actually I paid 29 € shipping included, with 20 € credit.
9 € surcharge is not soo devastating for me and if I include the assistance they gave me, the tax they pay to Ms. Merkel...
I can live with that and since I manage a restaurant, I know what service means and how it should be gratified.
Otherwise how can I ask my clients to pay 8$ for a pasta if you can pay 50 cent a pack and 2$ of sauce?

Old
  (#19)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-10-2011, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieB View Post
Otherwise how can I ask my clients to pay 8$ for a pasta if you can pay 50 cent a pack and 2$ of sauce?
With that free grappa that comes with the bill - I guess you didn't get one with your Fonic SIM.

Old
  (#20)
HowieB (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 31-10-2011, 11:03

Actually I got a voucher for a free SIM-Card from them.
I don't need it anymore, but if someone should visit Germany...
The voucher code is Germany and it gives you a 100% discount at checkout.
If you just eat a pasta, there is no free grappa

Tags
fonic, germany