PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-07-2011, 15:56

"4G" is really 3G+ so any GSM device that supports UMTS on the appropriate frequencies will work (850 & 1900 MHz).

As for coverage, Telus has some advantages particularly in the very mountainous areas between Kamloops and Calgary but Rogers is not bad. Almost all of Rogers' coverage in that area is now 3G, and there is 2G fallback as well (the odd site is 2G only but not many until you get to Saskatchewan, where I am [waves hello] which is pretty far east of where you're planning to be). Select your province | TELUS Mobility and Redirect to the right page have coverage maps you can check.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#12)
canadian4evr (Offline)

Default 09-07-2011, 17:51

Telus also has their tablet flex data plans that start at $20 for 500mb and go up to $35 for 5GB based on your usage but it only works for tablets.

Telus' advantage vs Rogers is that their network coverage is all 3G. There will be no 2G fallback.... But depending on your travel destination, would determine their coverage

Old
  (#13)
jenny (Offline)

Default 09-07-2011, 18:07

So it sounds like Telus has the coverage advantage in the sense that everywhere it covers is 3G, whereas they both have about the same coverage area?

From the specs list of my Galaxy Tab:
Network: HSDPA 900/1900/2100 MHz, HSDPA 7.2–capable; EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Sounds like it would work okay on Telus right? Since they're cheaper with the same coverage area and better speeds, maybe I'll go with them.

Old
  (#14)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-07-2011, 18:03

Rogers is 3G nearly everywhere you plan to be so I think the two carriers are nearly interchangeable.

In Saskatchewan and Atlantic Canada, Rogers still has tons of 2G without 3G overlaying it. In Alberta and BC, almost all of the coverage is dual 2G and 3G with Rogers.

Check the coverage maps to see how it will be where you are; this is the best way to know.

Note that it isn't necessarily all good to not have 2G underneath the 3G. In areas of weak coverage, 2G can be more reliable than 3G.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#15)
jenny (Offline)

Default 23-07-2011, 00:56

Came back from my trip, figured I'd leave my experiences in case anyone happens across this thread in a similar situation.

Rogers refuses to activate their $15 iPad data plan on a non-iPad.

Telus's $10 100MB data plan is an add-on only to an existing data plan, and cannot be used on its own. I ended up having to buy a post-paid Telus $20 for 500MB tablet data plan. The transaction would only go through using an Amex.

However, Telus's coverage along the routes I drove was absolutely abysmal. I started in Vancouver, and drove across highway 1 to Calgary through Banff, and then back along the southern highway 3. The majority of time there was no data coverage, including in all of the parks.