PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#291)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-09-2013, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwi View Post
Lycamobile in the US charges the same for incoming calls as outgoing calls.
Really? In the Lyca US thread everyone seemed to be saying they weren't charging for incoming calls.

But ok, if you are sure about this, we have:
  • Lyca charges 2c/min incoming and outgoing.
  • Toggle charges almost 5c/min (3p = 4.7c) outgoing and 0 incoming
So assuming they have no other arrangements in the US, if Toggle is using the same Lyca platform they are still viable if they have 2x more incoming calls than outgoing calls in the US.

Question: how much are the other US prepaid competitors charging?

Old
  (#292)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 10-09-2013, 01:31

How is data being charged in the US?

Old
  (#293)
HappyCamp (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-09-2013, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
How is data being charged in the US?
Lycamobile USA Rate Plans

T-Mobile $30 "Wal-mart plan". Unlimited data & text. 100 voice minutes per month.

Europe 2013 vacation:
Piranha-Mobile and Truphone plus the following
AT: T-Mobile, CZ: Tesco Mobile, DE: Lidl & Toggle Mobile, DK: Telia & Toggle Mobile, ES: Toggle Mobile, FR: Orange & Toggle Mobile, HU: T-Mobile, SE: Telenor & Toggle Mobile

Last edited by HappyCamp; 10-09-2013 at 01:42..

Old
  (#294)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-09-2013, 07:44

I double-checked before I posted - I called myself on my Lyca US SIM from another phone and my balance decremented by 2 cents.

Your analysis omits that when one calls someone on Lyca US the call ends in the US. One can call the Toggle US number and the call is forwarded at no charge to you in whichever Toggle country you are located.

The 2 cent rate is much cheaper than anyone else. Most of the prepaid competitors sell either bundles or unlimited plans. Lyca is the cheapest thing around for light use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBK View Post
Really? In the Lyca US thread everyone seemed to be saying they weren't charging for incoming calls.

But ok, if you are sure about this, we have:
  • Lyca charges 2c/min incoming and outgoing.
  • Toggle charges almost 5c/min (3p = 4.7c) outgoing and 0 incoming
So assuming they have no other arrangements in the US, if Toggle is using the same Lyca platform they are still viable if they have 2x more incoming calls than outgoing calls in the US.

Question: how much are the other US prepaid competitors charging?

Old
  (#295)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-09-2013, 16:36

Quote:
I double-checked before I posted - I called myself on my Lyca US SIM from another phone and my balance decremented by 2 cents.
Good info, thanks.

Quote:
Your analysis omits that when one calls someone on Lyca US the call ends in the US. One can call the Toggle US number and the call is forwarded at no charge to you in whichever Toggle country you are located.
I didn't omit this in my mind.

Yes, the only way I see this working is if they have the Toggle countries interconnected with VOIP, which is what I think they are doing. This is the advantage of the international Lyca network.

Incoming free -> VOIP -> free termination on their network in the toggle countries.

Last edited by MBK; 10-09-2013 at 16:44..

Old
  (#296)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 10-09-2013, 17:06

For an MVNO there is never free termination in the underlying radio access network.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#297)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-09-2013, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
For an MVNO there is never free termination in the underlying radio access network.
Some of them are offering totally free calling on their underlying networks.

For example, Coop Mobile prepaid pay as you go in Switzerland on the Orange network has had completely free calling to Coop Mobile as well as to Orange numbers for many years.

Even with 0 credit you can call Coop Mobile and Orange numbers for free, and you don't need to recharge for 1 or 2 years until the number gets disconnected. With 0 credit you also receive incoming calls and SMS.

So, as long as you are calling only the Orange network which is the 2nd largest network in Switzerland, your calls are completely free with your 0 credit prepaid SIM.

Lyca Switzerland first also used the Orange network, but last year (?) they changed the network to Swisscom, so they must be getting an even better deal with Swisscom than what they had with Orange.

Anyway Toggle incoming is free on the underlying networks used by Lyca. I don't know how much it costs Lyca to terminate the calls on all of their underlying networks, but it must be very low for them to have a valid business model with their free inter-Lyca calls and with Toggle.

Last edited by MBK; 10-09-2013 at 23:16..

Old
  (#298)
akraus88 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-09-2013, 23:18

Does anybody have any idea what happens after the month has passed and I don't want the local number for 5 pounds. Will the local IMSI also stop working or just the local number, but I will still enjoy local rates and use the UK phone number?

Old
  (#299)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-09-2013, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraus88 View Post
Does anybody have any idea what happens after the month has passed and I don't want the local number for 5 pounds. Will the local IMSI also stop working or just the local number, but I will still enjoy local rates and use the UK phone number?
The local number is tied to your IMSI.

If you don't keep your local number you can't use the local IMSI anymore.

So, when your number expires you go back to the roaming rates (= you still enjoy free incoming in the Toggle countries).

What you can do however, is order a new free number every 30 days if you want to keep the local rates without paying the 5£.

But IMO if you are traveling regularly to a Toggle country it's much more convenient (and cheap too) to get the local number for 5£ per year.

Last edited by MBK; 10-09-2013 at 23:39..

Old
  (#300)
akraus88 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-09-2013, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBK View Post
The local number is tied to your IMSI.

If you don't keep your local number you can't use the local IMSI anymore.

So, when your number expires you go back to the roaming rates (= you still enjoy free incoming in the Toggle countries).

What you can do however, is order a new free number every 30 days if you want to keep the local rates without paying the 5£.

But IMO if you are traveling regularly to a Toggle country it's much more convenient (and cheap too) to get the local number for 5£ per year.
Figured that. Thanks for clarifying it.

Btw, did you actually try to receive a call on the USA number, and see if it was billed for?

Tags
netherlands, toggle