PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
jstern (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Prepaid Data SIM for MiFi HUAWEI E585 - 03-06-2011, 23:59

I'd like to buy an unlocked HUAWEI E585 for use in Italy.

Is there any way to buy the prepaid data SIM in the US before I travel? The two options over at Telestial say they won't work with data.

Old
  (#2)
jstern (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 04-06-2011, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern View Post

Is there any way to buy the prepaid data SIM in the US before I travel? The two options over at Telestial say they won't work with data.
So Telestial says their Passport SIM will work, but it's expensive ($1/MB). They say their TIM won't work for data.

Any way to buy a Wind card in/from the US?

Old
  (#3)
tlinetrader (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 05-06-2011, 16:13

I researched this because I thought it would be nice to get the sim before leaving the states. My impression is that buying a sim before leaving is more expensive and with fewer options. I think your better off waiting till you get there and buying your sim at a TIM or WIND store or whatever you choose.

Old
  (#4)
jstern (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 05-06-2011, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinetrader View Post
I researched this because I thought it would be nice to get the sim before leaving the states. My impression is that buying a sim before leaving is more expensive and with fewer options. I think your better off waiting till you get there and buying your sim at a TIM or WIND store or whatever you choose.
OK - thanks. That is often the best answer. I've done it before in Italy without too much pain (for a non-data SIM), so I guess I'll just give it another shot this time.

I might hedge my bets and pick up a Passport card from Telestial as a fall back option.

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 07-06-2011, 08:05

All TIM sim-card will work for data. But of course you have to add the desired data option.
BTW I always suggest to buy it in Italy.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#6)
jstern (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 26-08-2011, 22:42

I have a TIM card installed now, but I can't seem to activate my plan.

I tried the TIMSMART ON and that didn't work, so I tried the tablet 1 GB.

I got this message (similar one for the smartphone):

"TIM INFORMA IMPOSSIBILE ATTIVARE INTERNET 1GB. PER MAGGIORI INFORMAZIONI CHIAMA IL 119."

So am I just choosing the wrong plan, or is my card somehow limited?

Old
  (#7)
jstern (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 29-08-2011, 11:24

So now I've also tried PRO INTERNET40 and I get the same message.

I bought a €10 Ricari card and added it to my account, and via SMS, I verified that I have €15 on the account now, in case that was the problem.

But I still cannot activate data on the account.

Any ideas?

Old
  (#8)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 29-08-2011, 14:42

Did you write "PRO INTERNET40" to 40916? Are you sure you had 15€ before you send that message? You cannot use the tablet or smartphone offers on an internet key (or mifi device), but the Internet 40 should work. If you still cannot use it go to a TIM shop and ask them to activate the option for you.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#9)
jstern (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 29-08-2011, 17:20

Great. That did it. The guy at my local TIM store turned off a smartphone setting and turned on INTERNET40 and we set the APN and it's working!

I just can't figure how to cut the connection so I don't blow through the hours.

Old
  (#10)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 12-10-2011, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern View Post

Hi Jstern,

May I ask you about the APN setting for TIM SIM card in Huawei?... I got the same unlocked Huawei. Can I simply just change the APN setting for data roaming is ok? ... or I need to activate the SIM through iPhone first, then insert into the Huawei for wifi? Many thanks

Tags
kimdo