PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
csjazzlady (Offline)

Default USA TREO 680 in France and Ireland - 07-09-2007, 18:22

HI,
I live in the USA and have an unlocked TREO 680 I will be in France for a week and later in October I will be in Ireland for 3 weeks.

1. Do I simply purchase a local sim card in each country, place it in the TREO and then top it off when needed?

2. Will that sim card mean there is another telephone number on my phone that is a new French number and then a new Irish number - or does my USA number remain?

3. After placing the sim in the TREO what do I need to dial to place calls in
France or Ireland, and what do I need to dial to call to the USA?

4. I usually get my email on my TREO. is that possible as well? Any extra charges?

Thanks
csjazzlady

Old
  (#2)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-09-2007, 19:45

1. yes.

2. Yes, each new sim you purchase will have a local number for the country where you purchased it. Since. your US number is not in your phone whatever sim is in your phone is the one active at that time. Of course, you can have multiple phones and just have your US sim in one of those phones. In which case you can receive calls on your US number also. But, that will be very expensive since you would be roaming.

3. To place calls just dial +countrycode then the number. It's best to store all numbers (including US numbers) in this format. So, for example US numbers will be +1555112222. For Uk it will be +44NNNNNNN. Hope you get the idea.

4. If it's push/pull POP email, you may be able to do it on the sim as long as the sim is GPRS enabled and you have the correct settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjazzlady View Post
HI,
I live in the USA and have an unlocked TREO 680 I will be in France for a week and later in October I will be in Ireland for 3 weeks.

1. Do I simply purchase a local sim card in each country, place it in the TREO and then top it off when needed?

2. Will that sim card mean there is another telephone number on my phone that is a new French number and then a new Irish number - or does my USA number remain?

3. After placing the sim in the TREO what do I need to dial to place calls in
France or Ireland, and what do I need to dial to call to the USA?

4. I usually get my email on my TREO. is that possible as well? Any extra charges?

Thanks
csjazzlady

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#3)
dohouch (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 23-09-2007, 23:54

Ireland:About push email I know nothing. Meteor in Ireland do not offer pop servers to prepaid customers, not sure about O2, 3 and Vodafone prepaids.
I use the Gmail Java app on Meteor and it works fine, Gmail will also collect mail from other normal pop accounts. Caution to run Gmail app you need to have proper APN access enable by your provider and not all customer care advisers know what you are asking for, in that case tell them you want to use your phone as a modem.

Old
  (#4)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-09-2007, 03:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
4. If it's push/pull POP email, you may be able to do it on the sim as long as the sim is GPRS enabled and you have the correct settings.
Be aware that you will probably have to set up the GPRS for the local prepaid SIM and still use the e-mail settings for your US-based e-mail. You may find that the local prepaid has better or worse data rates than what you may be used to.