PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#171)
Intasun77 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-09-2010, 11:10

Effendi & BLC,

Thanks for the info, I still have the CF number that I had generated so I will use it.

Old
  (#172)
geenski (Offline)

Default Prepaid SIM card for mostly Data and some voice for my Nexus One - 16-09-2010, 20:56

Thank you so much for this forum, it's a great resource for us traveling abroad. I'm going to Italy for two weeks and I'm looking for a Prepaid SIM for mostly Data but some amount of calling both to Italy numbers and US numbers. All the issues I've seen addressed on here seem to either focus on a Data SIM or a calling SIM. Do the Data SIMs include voice calling as well? I think I want to go with Vodaphone just because I'd like to get a card and activate as soon as I get to the airport. Thanks!

Old
  (#173)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 17-09-2010, 07:52

Data sims nearly don't exist in Italy.
Here we always talk about voice sims which all have data capabilities and you have to add a "data add-on". TIM and Wind are almost always the best choice.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#174)
sgr (Offline)

Default 01-10-2010, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
When you run out of credit they should stop billing you (it's prepaid, if you go to zero you shouldn't go further below...). But that doesn't always happen.
I never used TIM so I don't know how they behave. But my suggestion is always to DEACTIVATE the option when you leave. Otherwise prepare to get bad surprises...

@ wco81: what does the 155.it say now? The option should be inactive, I suppose. Wind works quite well with these things.

I can assure you that wind will continue to charge for services that are not discontinued by you. I had a Wind SIM on a recent trip and didn't bother to discontinue mega ore thinking my balance was zero and that would be it. When I returned and inquired about a recharge I was told I needed to recharge at least €60 to bring my balance to a positive value. I, therefore, purchased a new SIM and new number and de-activate any service I do not require during my leave.

Regards
Sandro

Old
  (#175)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 01-10-2010, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr View Post
I can assure you that wind will continue to charge for services that are not discontinued by you. I had a Wind SIM on a recent trip and didn't bother to discontinue mega ore thinking my balance was zero and that would be it. When I returned and inquired about a recharge I was told I needed to recharge at least €60 to bring my balance to a positive value. I, therefore, purchased a new SIM and new number and de-activate any service I do not require during my leave.

Regards
Sandro
They are quite clear on the website that the option will automatically renew every month until discontinued. All it takes is a sms message to activate or deactivate. Sometimes I forget but Wind roams on Rogers so you can do it even from Canada. You can recharge Wind prepaid on their website from Canada using a Canadian credit card (only one in Italy that allows non Italian credit cards) as well which is convenient.

Old
  (#176)
lizahellen (Offline)

Default Prepaid SIM in Italy? - 12-10-2010, 09:39

Hi
I have an unlocked i Phone that I will be traveling with in Italy for a month, so I'll get a SIM card when I arrive. I don't care so much about call and text prices. Which network will give me the best rates (ideally a flat daily rate for example) for data access?

Old
  (#177)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 01-11-2010, 18:23

I'm hoping the Italian carriers will start selling affordable unlocked Mifis as they've been selling the USB keys.

Then people can use iPhones on the road, with all the GPS-centric apps.

Old
  (#178)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-05-2011, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
When you run out of credit they should stop billing you (it's prepaid, if you go to zero you shouldn't go further below...). But that doesn't always happen.
I never used TIM so I don't know how they behave. But my suggestion is always to DEACTIVATE the option when you leave. Otherwise prepare to get bad surprises...

@ wco81: what does the 155.it say now? The option should be inactive, I suppose. Wind works quite well with these things.
Finally got around to checking my account online. Here is my balance info:

"Questo il credito disponibile sulla tua linea prepagata Wind: 7,35 Euro
Il tempo a sua disposizione per utilizzare il credito telefonico scadrÃ* il 18/05/2011"

So out of the original 20 Euro purchase, I have a little over 7 Euro credit and I have until 18/5/11 to recharge, which should give me another year before the 7.35 Euro plus the amount that I top off expires, right?

It shows I'm on the Wind 12 plan, after I had canceled the Mega Ore 12 plan.

Can you activate a new data plan online or only via SMS?

Old
  (#179)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-05-2011, 07:23

You can activate also online, just login, go to the page of the offer you like and click on "ATTIVATI SUBITO".
Otherwise login on 155.it, go to "Modifica la tua offerta" and then choose among the different options available.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#180)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-05-2011, 16:37

OK, I'll check those out.

First to recharge before expiration and then activate the plan just before I arrive.

If I'm not mistaken, it takes a few hours to activate? Or is that just the new SIM?

Tags
3 ita, tim, vodafone it, wind it