PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#161)
TraceyJ (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 31-08-2012, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
The Mobicarte requires a minimum top-up of 10 euros every six months after the credit has expired to prevent the number from expiring. If you are in France and can buy a recharge, suggest you buy a 10 euro recharge voucher and take it home with you. You can do the recharge in your home country using the #123 menu on the phone. If you do it just before 13 May then the number will stay alive for another six months after that.

The vouchers last for ages if not used; the clock doesn't start ticking on the credit until you actually add it to the account.
Apologies for belated response - I didn't receive any notification of a newreply

Thanks for your reply. I will be back in France next week so will buy a top up for next year!

Old
  (#162)
flychr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 03-09-2012, 16:48

hi
Quote:
On the last day of my trip, I decided to try tethering to see if it was just a threat - or if the restriction is for real. I set my phone to become a WiFi Hotspot and tethered my Android tablet to it. Tethering was blocked. This has never happened to me on any other network
i have tried wifi hotspot with Android in fr. and it still works!!!!
chr

Old
  (#163)
woody1 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 04-09-2012, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drama queen View Post
On the last day of my trip, I decided to try tethering to see if it was just a threat - or if the restriction is for real. I set my phone to become a WiFi Hotspot and tethered my Android tablet to it. Tethering was blocked. This has never happened to me on any other network.
Just to clarify, are you able to tether this particular phone on other networks? On my AT&T Galaxy S3, tethering was originally blocked on the phone software until I patched it to make it work.

Also, as I mentioned before, I wonder if connecting through a VPN would circumvent the tethering restriction. Has anybody tried that?

Old
  (#164)
drama queen (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 04-09-2012, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
Just to clarify, are you able to tether this particular phone on other networks? On my AT&T Galaxy S3, tethering was originally blocked on the phone software until I patched it to make it work.

Also, as I mentioned before, I wonder if connecting through a VPN would circumvent the tethering restriction. Has anybody tried that?
I have no problem using my Android Galaxy S2 in mobile hotspot mode on other networks for tethering other devices such as my Android tablet. I couldn't get this to work on Orange in France. However, I only tried it in the airport on my last day, as I didn't want to get cut off by trying it earlier. My test may have been flawed for some reason. My phone was able to browse the Internet ok in the airport, and the tablet connected to the phone ok - but stalled when trying to browse. Perhaps they detected that I had two devices connected, and only permitted the first device to connect? Maybe if I had not tried to browse with my phone, the tablet might have worked?

Old
  (#165)
drama queen (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 04-09-2012, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flychr View Post
hi
i have tried wifi hotspot with Android in fr. and it still works!!!!
chr
Very interesting! Did you have more than one device using the hotspot at the same time (eg phone & tablet?).

Old
  (#166)
flychr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 06-09-2012, 23:20

hi no only one device tried. (mac air with windowd 7)but be careful not to set computer to auto opdate just cost 250mb chr

Sendt fra min U8860 med Tapatalk2

Old
  (#167)
pconte (Offline)

Default Buying Orange micro SIM for Samsung Galaxy S III in Paris? - 01-10-2012, 01:49

Does anyone know whether Orange stores in Paris sell the micro SIM for Samsung Galaxy III (Samsung SGH-T999)?

On the orange.fr site, I see micro SIM for iPhone. On eBay, I see one UK seller offering "new (uncut)" Orange micro SIM for S III.

Just wondered if anyone had definitive knowledge dealing with a Paris Orange store.

I'll be in Paris this Friday and was planning to use the Mobicarte deal, which worked just fine two years ago with my Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy).

Not really wanting to try cutting a SIM myself, although I'll try it if there's no other alternative.

Thanks for the help!

-- Paul

Old
  (#168)
jb9 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 22-12-2012, 14:58

I have a quick question about maintaining my Orange SIM telephone number. I finished my trip to France in September of 2012 and purchased a 10 Euro recharge card in order to keep my SIM Telephone number active. When I first configured the phone, I set up an orange.fr account. I was under the impression that I would have a 6 month time period from the last recharge until I had to add additional value. I went to my "suivi conso" menu on orange.fr and saw this:

au 22/12/2012 Ã* 15h20

votre Compte rechargeable est épuisé

numéro valide jusqu'au 01/05/2013 inclus

It makes sense that my credit is expired, but is it truly saying that my number is valid until May 1, 2013? That would imply that my phone number would be active for 8 months, right? I was under the impression that I would probably need to recharge the phone before March 1, 2013 (6 months) to maintain my telephone number. Has Orange increased the allowed dormancy period?

Thanks in advance.

Old
  (#169)
scirocco (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 23-12-2012, 11:19

No, it's still six months. However, the clock doesn't start ticking on the number expiry until the credit has expired. From your number expiry date of 1/5/2013 your credit must have expired at the end of October. A 25 euro top up doesn't expire for two months from the date of purchase, 35 euros lasts for three months.

Old
  (#170)
flychr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-01-2013, 07:49

just insert 20 euro on sim (and can see 20 euros on orange.fr) and "bought" Internet max and mail option (on orange.fr) but can not see the option active on orange.fr.
will it be 48 hours before it can view option aktive on orange.fr?
chr

Tags
france, internet data, mobicarte, orange france