PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 04-10-2010, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
Germany does not have a lot of free wi-fi, and almost all home networks are (needlessly) encrypted. But if you're ever stuck, McDonald's has it.
Yes, this is also caused by the strict german laws- you are 100% responsible for anything that happens over your internet line. If a neighbour downloads kinky stuff over your free wifi you are doomed most of the time...

Quote:
And actually, mobile coverage along German rail lines can be patchy.
thanks to the metal coated windows the wagons are very well blocked for all kind of radio signals. Even the wagons with repeaters on the roof can be a problem if you use the wrong operator

but lets go back to the topic of good SIM cards for data in the UK...

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#12)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 04-10-2010, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
but lets go back to the topic of good SIM cards for data in the UK...
Indeed! My experience has been that all UK networks have very similar coverage (ie, they work pretty much everywhere - there are no non-coverage areas as in the US and Canada) except for T-Mobile, which is a little bit weaker and has more congestion from the many MVNOs using it. But even that may soon change, as TMO and Orange are now the same company (in the UK, not anywhere else) and they will soon be sharing networks.

Me, I've been wit Virgin for a long time but will probably take my number to Vodafone the next time I'm in the UK.

One thing is, unless you do all your data on a smartphone that you also use for voice, you should consider the voice and data offers separately, and buy a separate data SIM for your USB stick, instead of trying to find an "all-rounder". As has been said many times here, SIMs are often free in the UK.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#13)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 05-10-2010, 01:06

I will be using the same phone for voice and data- mostly checking e-mail.

Old
  (#14)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-10-2010, 09:27

My experiance with our customers in UK is that the often have problems with data on Vodafone. Orange and T-Mobile seem to be more reliable. But our application is 24/7 online. Might be completely different if its about surfing and reading email from time to time.

Chris

Old
  (#15)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 05-10-2010, 19:05

What sort of problems, Chris?

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#16)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-10-2010, 08:12

Quote:
What sort of problems, Chris?
modem can not connect to TCP servers even when GPRS is attached, GPRS does not come back after cellchanges several times, sometimes modem needs to get a hard reset even to attach back to GSM network...

Last edited by dg7feq; 06-10-2010 at 08:13.. Reason: typo

Old
  (#17)
hkr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 13-10-2010, 22:38

I have just returned from the UK.

Before the trip, a friend of mine, who lives there, got me a "Three" SIM. Their network is 3G only and boast to have the best 3G coverage in the UK.

As a matter of fact, their claim might be valid. Considering it is a 3G-only network, the coverage was suprisingly good. However, I found their general coverage a littlebit patchy in the areas I was trying to use it.

I used my Nokia E71, and came out cheap by being able to use my phone's VoIP client for making calls. As for receiving calls I used a home DID diverted to the SIMs phone number via VoIP. It worked fine except for the caller ID, but that's acceptable considering this was a very cheap way of receiving calls.

I also used the same SIM for surfing the internet from my phone as well as by putting the card in a modem. Later I bought a fantastic Huawei E585 modem/WiFi router from Three, and used that with my netbook. It worked fine.

All in all, I can recommend 3 as a data/mobile net provider, but mainly if you intend to use it in urban areas. For normal phoning however, I'd look for some other network with a better 2G coverage as I missed a lot of calls due to no coverage at the place where I spent the weekend. But to be fair, I found that other, 2G operators were also quite weak in that bulding.

Postpaid:
3x Vodafone (HU) 1x T-Mobile) formerly also Pannon
Prepaid:
Vodafone, Pannon, T-Mobile (HU) Optimus (PT) SamiSwoi, ERA, Orange (PL) VIP (HR) T-Mobile (AT) Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile (UK) Vodafone (DE) Data-only prepaid: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Djuice/Pannon (HU)
International SIMs: UM+, Sim4Travel, TravelSim
Phones: Nokia E51, E71, Samsung D880, SE P990i, Ericsson T39m -forever! , many others in the drawer. 3G modems Huawei E220, E870, EU870D, U740, Alcatel X200
VoIP: Justvoip, CallWithUs, Neophonex, fonline, Macrogate and several others for outgoing... DIDs from Macrogate, DIDww, Gradwell, Voxbone and others. FreePBX, Vigor router with inbuilt ATA, Nokia E-series phones.

Old
  (#18)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Updated Info: UK Sim for Voice and Data - 25-12-2011, 16:57

Hi Everyone,

Happy Holidays! A couple of years have past since I first posted this query. I never made it to London--first it was volcanic ash; last yeart a family illness forced a last minute cancellation.

I'm giving London another try in February and wonder if there is any updated information on a SIM for voice and data. I'll be in London for 5 days and have a Nokia E71. I plan to use it to make local calls, calls to the US and checking e-mail.

Thanks!

Old
  (#19)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-12-2011, 00:15

Someone on eBay suggested Lebara. I know that they have very inexpensive rates to the US but does anyone know how their Internet service is? I need to be able to access my e-mail.

Also, are there any UK Sims that can be topped up with a US credit card from the US? I'd love to have my phone working and ready to go as soon as I land.

Old
  (#20)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-12-2011, 23:10

I can top up my Orange SIM using a Canadian card. I registered a credit card over the phone with them when I was in London, but I've been able to change the card number since then from Canada. I'm not sure if you can set up a new foreign credit card with them without talking to them directly, though.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.