PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
LevyRJ (Offline)

Default help wIth gsm prepaid in mexico (playa del carmen) - 15-05-2010, 15:08

Hi - I am traveling to Mexico (playa del carmen) for 14 days and need a prepaid sim card (gsm) for voice and data (primarily data) on my blackberry. After reading these forums, it appears Telcel Amigo is the way to go. Unfortunately the Telcel website is all in spanish (which I don't speak) and I'm confused what exactly the prepaid service is called and the cost. If anyone is familiar with Tecel, I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me what I need to ask for (english and spanish so I can show the person) and cost. Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-05-2010, 15:32

Staff at the Telcel store in Centro Maya (a mall in the southern part of town, off the ) in Playa del Carmen speak pretty good english. Buy an Amigo SIM, top-up credit (recarga) and activate the 15 day BB plan by sending an SMS with the text BBI15 to 5050.

You will need to bring your passport along with you. Make sure you ask them to register your SIM card with both Telcel and the "Registro Nacional de Usarios de Telefonia Movil".

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#3)
LevyRJ (Offline)

Default 15-05-2010, 17:05

Many thanks, VladS. Am I correct when I send the SMS for the BB plan, it will automatically deduct from the prepaid balance? Any idea how much the BB plan is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladS View Post
Staff at the Telcel store in Centro Maya (a mall in the southern part of town, off the ) in Playa del Carmen speak pretty good english. Buy an Amigo SIM, top-up credit (recarga) and activate the 15 day BB plan by sending an SMS with the text BBI15 to 5050.

You will need to bring your passport along with you. Make sure you ask them to register your SIM card with both Telcel and the "Registro Nacional de Usarios de Telefonia Movil".

Old
  (#4)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-05-2010, 21:15

The Telcel Amigo blackberry 15 day plan is 286 pesos (possibly a few % more if that's not a border area). It's limited to 1.5GB of data in that time.

You probably get 50 pesos of calling with your sim (which costs 200 pesos in this area, it does vary). So you'll need an immediate recharge.

In round figures, local calls are over 30c (US) a minute, and over a dollar a minute to the US, on the standard tariff. Incoming calls are free (when you are in the area you brought the SIM).

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#5)
torres94063 (Offline)

Default 03-06-2011, 21:34

Hello

I am travelling to Mexico next month and have an Unlocked Blackberry Tour 9630.
Does any one know if by purchasing a SIM Card and a Data package with Telcel in Mexico will allow me to use Blackberry Messenger and send/receive SMS with the Google Voice App while in Mexico.

Also my BB is not 3g while in GSM networks it will only use GPRS or EDGE.
One of my relatives used my phone with an AT&T Prepaid SIM card in Mexico it worked Roaming in Telcel but he didn't try Data.
Thanks

Old
  (#6)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Telcel prepaid "amigo blackberry" plans - 13-06-2011, 22:12

If you speak spanish, the telcel blackberry site will answer most of your questions:

Micrositio BlackBerry de Telcel

Your Tour will work perfectly on the Mexican 1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks.
Each of the four telcel prepaid "amigo blackberry" plans includes a data "bundle".
You can tether your blackberry to a computer and use it as a modem for internet access, if you wish.

Sorry, I have no experience of the google voice app.

Once your amigo blackberry plan has expired, your blackberry will remain locked to the telcel network - until you return to Mexico again

But you can unlock it by using one of the many blackberry unlocking services on the internet, if you really must