PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
msjfb (Offline)
Official Member

Default older TIM (Italy) SIM and 3G Data - 24-08-2009, 03:42

Hi,
My SIM was purchased in 2003 and has the following ID on it: 893901 It's not a good idea to write the iccid (beppe_bl)

Since we had some trouble over here in Canada with older SIMs when 3G data was rolled out, I am wondering if this SIM is suitable for 3G data.

This is rather important to me as I absolutely need 3G data for my upcoming (in a few days) trip to Italy. I already activated Maxxi Alice Facile on this line, so I definitely want to keep it. Just want to know if I will have to purchase a newer SIM.

Thanks,

FRank

Last edited by beppe_bl; 24-08-2009 at 10:20..

Old
  (#2)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Default 24-08-2009, 03:49

Frank what trouble was there with the sims here in Canada? Mine has got to be 7 years old and no issues with 3g at all BUT if there is an issue you can easily walk into the carriers shop and they will give you another sim.

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjfb View Post
Hi,
My SIM was purchased in 2003 and has the following ID on it: 893901 ......
Since we had some trouble over here in Canada with older SIMs when 3G data was rolled out, I am wondering if this SIM is suitable for 3G data.

This is rather important to me as I absolutely need 3G data for my upcoming (in a few days) trip to Italy. I already activated Maxxi Alice Facile on this line, so I definitely want to keep it. Just want to know if I will have to purchase a newer SIM.

Thanks,

FRank

Last edited by beppe_bl; 24-08-2009 at 10:20..

Old
  (#3)
msjfb (Offline)
Official Member

Default 24-08-2009, 13:39

My 1998 FIDO SIM would not give anything over EDGE speeds. Upgrading to a newer SIM did the trick. Just trying to have as few hassles as I can once I am there. If anyone can confirm that I will not get 3G speeds with this SIM, then I know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
Frank what trouble was there with the sims here in Canada? Mine has got to be 7 years old and no issues with 3g at all BUT if there is an issue you can easily walk into the carriers shop and they will give you another sim.

G

Old
  (#4)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-08-2009, 15:14

Generally 3G networks require new 3G-compatible SIM cards (so-called USIMs), since 3G has a new authentication system which is not yes implemented in old-fashioned SIM cards. However operators can still admit 2G-authentication even on 3G networks.
In Germany T-Mobile and Vodafone have done so and so you can register on their 3G networks even with the oldest SIMs. But the other two German operators, O2 and eplus, will not accept 2G-authentication and so you need a USIM to register on their 3G network.
So it depends on the network operator's decision wether old SIMs will work on the 3G network or not.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-08-2009, 09:48

No problems at all. I have a sim from the year 2000, an old 16k Wind sim, and it works perfectly on 3G HSDPA. The same is with TIM.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#6)
msjfb (Offline)
Official Member

Default 26-08-2009, 13:59

Thanks to all. Looks like I will have no problem.

With the SIM installed in my Touch HD here in Canada, I do get the 3G symbol (as I do with my Fido SIM) so I am assuming it has the ability to register 3G.

François

P.S. Effendi: What's the weather like in Genova? I am coming in on Friday...

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-08-2009, 15:17

Hi François, I'm working in La Spezia and the weather is great, but too hot! I guess in Genova it's a bit more cloudy today and on friday it should be quite nice. Some rain could arrive on saturday, and it wouldn't be bad, it's really TOO hot this August...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim