PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
johnwt1951 (Offline)

Default 25-02-2009, 10:25

DaveRo
Don't think the name should be an issue. I just recharged by buying credit at a Tabac. There was never a reason for my name to be needed.

Old
  (#2)
sammydems (Offline)

Default 22-02-2009, 12:35

Thanks for the info, johnwt1951. I have a few questions, though.

I have an iPhone 3G from the States that I jailbroke and unlocked. Useful, since I'm studying in France for a semester. I was wondering:

How much is the cost of the mobicarte? I checked on their website and couldn't find 'le tarif' anywhere. Granted, I'm not completely fluent in French, but I understand most of what I read, and I could not find it. So, how much is the SIM card itself, and is there a link you could give me to find out exactly how much a minute or SMS costs?

Also, does Orange cover basically all of France? I am living in Angers near Nantes until June and I need a card I can use everywhere. Thanks for any help you can give me; it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sam

Old
  (#3)
johnwt1951 (Offline)

Default 25-02-2009, 10:24

Sammydems

Sorry to be slow replying.

The SIM itself cost 30 euro and that includes only 5 euro of credit.

You will find tariffs on http://animation.orange.fr/fis/mobicarte.pdf. I think that's still valid.

I had no trouble finding a network anywhere in France. In more remote areas it dropped back to EDGE not 3G.

Good luck.

Old
  (#4)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-02-2009, 15:05

Using an SSH session to a machine where you have shell access (like my server, in my basement) and setting up tunnels on ports 25, 110, 143 and 587 (143 and 587 work in my case, they're all I need) lets you route your email traffic over a different port (SSH standard port is 22) via your shell machine. That might be a way around it.

I've used this several times where WiFi access restricts email access.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#5)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 13-05-2009, 23:13

My understanding is that you can get Skype running on an iPhone by using one of the programs for jailbroken iPhones that allows a 3g connection to masquerade as a wifi connection.

See generally: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/01/v...gedgegprs.html

Last edited by Stu; 13-05-2009 at 23:21..

Old
  (#6)
caramiele (Offline)

Default 29-05-2009, 19:42

thanks all, this thread has been very informative. i am going to france next month and was wondering how easy it would be to setup my iphone to have a local number while i'm there.

Old
  (#7)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 14-05-2009, 13:38

You're welcome!

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#8)
Lobby (Offline)

Default 19-05-2009, 10:54

Just noticed a similar offering from Bouygues Telecom:

Offres Internet Mobile - Option Web & Mail - Internet Mobile - Bouygues Telecom

Is that a better alternative to the Orange Internet max option, seems to have no restriction on emails? And comes "sans engagement"

Old
  (#9)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-05-2009, 09:02

The option is "sans engagement" but you can activate it only on a postpaid contract.

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#10)
Denis (Offline)

Default Orange vs SFR vs Bouygues coverage - 21-05-2009, 03:21

In the USA, coverage and quality of signal differ dramatically by carrier. I've read that Bouygues is the newest, smallest and most likely of the three main carriers to not provide a cell signal when you need it.

But prepaid rates for Bouygues are significantly lower than Orange, and I'm certainly tempted. But...if my wife or teenage boys don't have a signal when they want/need it I'll regret the theoretical € savings!

We'll be spending a week in Provence (along the coast, Nice to Aix-en-Provence, centered in La Croix Valmer), and we'll then spend a week in Paris.

I'd guess that within Paris all three carriers will be fine....but does anyone have any experience along the Riviera with Orange vs. Bouygues???

Thanks much for any help!

Be seeing you,
Denis

Tags
france, internet data, mobicarte, orange france