PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Wink Wind hellas - 16-03-2010, 04:18

Can someone walk me through the process of activating a Wind F2G card.

I had someone get me the sim, I have all her paperwork and I am still at a loss.

So she bought the sim they asked her some questions saw her id and theat was that. I have the sim and it is not activated. Is there something she should have done while in Greece to activate it? call in a number something?

I am in Toronto canada now but will be in greece in june.. am I sol until I get there? any clues would be helpful gents.

My vodafone sim from greece was totally fine.. pop it in and it roams just fine. pls help

Old
  (#2)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-03-2010, 11:13

I bought a Wind F2G card last summer (before the mandatory registration of November 2009), and according to the instructions, the only thing you needed to activate it was to make one phone call in any number. Mine got activated automatically after that first phone call. Also the roaming is preactivated by default and I get signal everywhere (in Europe anyway).

Now with the mandatory registration, the activation I suppose is similar since you've done the paperwork, i.e., you need to make an outgoing call.

So I'll suggest to:

- Find the Wind roaming partner in Canada (from the web site of Wind)
- Make a phone call.

Old
  (#3)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-03-2010, 11:22

Roaming for the SIM might not be activated in the HLR before the first call on the home network has been placed.
According to the WIND website they have roaming agreements with Rogers, Fido and Digicel (?) for their prepaid customers.
Rockjock, I guess your place is covered by at least one of these operators, isn't it? Have you tried to register on these networks manually?

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#4)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-03-2010, 14:47

And even if it was possible to activate it by making a phone call while roaming, according to the direct link that inquisitor posted, all three roaming partners of Wind in Canada allow incoming but not outgoing calls/texts.

So I suppose that the only option you have left with, is to activate it when you will be back in Greece. Or if you are in a hurry and you want to take advantage of the 1.5GB/mo free data offer, you have to send it back to your friend in Greece for the activation of the card and the offer.

Old
  (#5)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-03-2010, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
...all three roaming partners of Wind in Canada allow incoming but not outgoing calls/texts.
Which is quite strange, as there is GPRS-service for WIND's prepaid customers on Rogers and GPRS in turn means that at least CAMEL phase 3 (a roaming standard for interoperability and billing) is implemented in both involved networks, while you need only phase 2 to enable outgoing calls. So from a technical point of view calling could work flawlessly.
Maybe it's just an human error - if you succeed to register on Rogers, you could try to place a call anyway.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#6)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-03-2010, 16:44

Yes, from a technical point of view it should be possible but most roaming partners make their own agreements when it comes to incoming and outgoing calls.

Also, the info on their page could be incorrect but I doubt it. For example, for their partners in Germany they state that you can receive calls/SMS and have GPRS/MMS on all four German networks but you can make outgoing calls and 3G/videocalls only on O2 and T-Mobile.

Their above info is correct for all four German networks. When I initiate my Wind prepaid card in Germany, I receive automatically two SMSes, the first states the prices for calls/SMS/data when roaming and the 2nd says something like "Additionally you can make outgoing calls from the O2 and T-Mobile networks".

edit: I checked also their non-flash roaming pages for prepaid customers, and they have the same info like the flash one. For Canada you can receive calls/texts and send SMS on all three networks but strangely you cannot make outgoing calls.

Roaming partners for incoming calls/SMS and outgoing SMS: http://www.wind.com.gr/Listing.fds?t...=1334&langid=2

Roaming partners for outgoing calls: http://www.wind.com.gr/Listing.fds?t...=1344&langid=2

Old
  (#7)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Default 16-03-2010, 18:49

Thank you gentlemen for your answers but it simply would not work. I find the Rogers network and I select it and it tells me " no access " Now to add my friend did give me the sim unopened. So perhaps it would have been better if she had opened in and placed it in her phone in athens?

Vodafone.GR powered up just fine Rogers and 3G
Vodafone.DE powered up just fine Rogers and 3G

Yes Evan I would like to get that offer for sure! it is just odd..

any other ideas?

Old
  (#8)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-03-2010, 18:59

Send the SIM to Greece and let someone activate it for you.

Old
  (#9)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Default 16-03-2010, 19:10

I will do just that. Thanks gents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Send the SIM to Greece and let someone activate it for you.

Old
  (#10)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 18-03-2010, 07:55

And make sure that after they activate it to call or send a text message to 1245, in order to get the offer of 1.5GB/mo free data.

I subscribed to the offer while I was roaming with the Wind card but given the difficulties you have with their roaming partners in Canada, sending an SMS may not be possible.