PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
SIMCollector (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Good use for small amount of credit on a UK Pre-paid SIM - 14-10-2009, 02:03

(apologies if dual posts appear _ I have just seen that new members posts with links will be moderated)

I have and will have more pre-paid UK SIM cards with a small amount of credit on them, typically around £1. I will be porting these numbers to another network and as a consequence will lose this credit. I don't particularly want to use the credit for calls or sending normal sms.

I'd be very interested to hear from people who have used small amounts of credit for something useful. The sort of things I'm particularly interested in is ways to add points (or whatever they may be called) to virtual wallets / currencies ie paypay, UKash etc or for subscriptions ie credits to VoIP accounts or some other account.

The two methods of doing this I can think of are through reverse billed sms (ie shortcodes) or by calls to premium rate voice telephone nos (nos typically beginning 09 in the UK)

Any other suggestions on how I could use the credit, given that I dont want to use it for calls or traditional sms, mms, internet etc, would be more than welcome. Basically it is some way of transferring the credit on the sim card into some other system.

Some ideas I have at the moment are to use PayMo (www dot paymo dot com) to get the credit off the sim and it may then be used to buy points in something like MoneyOnline
(global dot mol dot com/global/portal/en/HowTopup.aspx). I came across this when looking at alternative ways of topping up a SIM card I have in Malaysia. I have not used any of this and I'm not sure if paymo would have a way of charging me a small amount.

As I see it one of the main problems will be finding a system that will enable me to make most use of the small amount of credit on the SIM. I.e. if I just have £1 credit then it may be that the lowest reverse billed sms will be for £1, but I also have to pay for the sms to send to the shortcode, which would add an additional 10-15p on to the amount required.

I look forward to hear your suggestions.

Old
  (#2)
SIMCollector (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 18-10-2009, 22:05

Any suggestion for a reasonable way to use up the free credit given by orange or three for doing an online registration. This could be up to £1 in value but any way of using 50p upwards would be of interest...

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 19-10-2009, 10:03

Well you could make some calls, or write some texts...

Old
  (#4)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 19-10-2009, 10:11

Sorry... but seriously, there is a service run by Predial to convert ordinary SMS's (i.e. not reverse charged ones) sent to a normal UK number to get units that you can use for calling internationally via UK geographic access numbers. Apart from using the 1 pound of credit to get you 10 or so SMS's, some of these promo SIMs come with a large number of free SMS's when you top up by a small additional amount. Have a read through the pages at foneforum.co.uk for more details on this service.

Old
  (#5)
SIMCollector (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-10-2009, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
Sorry... but seriously, there is a service run by Predial to convert ordinary SMS's (i.e. not reverse charged ones) sent to a normal UK number to get units that you can use for calling internationally via UK geographic access numbers. Apart from using the 1 pound of credit to get you 10 or so SMS's, some of these promo SIMs come with a large number of free SMS's when you top up by a small additional amount. Have a read through the pages at foneforum.co.uk for more details on this service.
Thanks

I know the service your talking about and have taken great advantage of it when I had many regular sms I could send.

Given a small amount of credit and sending regular sms to the pre-dial service it wouldn't give me that much.

I've not had much of a response on this post , either here or on FonForum.

I'm really just looking for some way to use up a small amount of credit that is given for the online registration. Somewhere I have seen that Orange are particular over what the credit is ued for, I don't think that three are the same.

I was thinking that there may be some services that I could use this credit up for something, rather than losing it as a result of porting the no away or letting it expire after one month...