PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#521)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 21-05-2015, 02:53

Thanks. What kind of software do you use to read your SIM? I would like to cross check what that tool says for my SIM cards that according to my good old Nokia N95 have a EHPLMN list.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#522)
ChrisNeedsToKnow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 21-05-2015, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdoo View Post
...I visit at least 8 Toggle countries each year, so 9 identities is quite a limitation...
I will try to get a replacement of my "main" SIM now. From then on I´ll only get IMSIs for my "core" countries. Furthermore I´l get a second SIM to use in remote countries that I rarely go to.

I hope the SIM-replacement will work out

PS - anyone managed to get a Belgian number/IMSI working?

Old
  (#523)
ChrisNeedsToKnow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 21-05-2015, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNeedsToKnow View Post
...anyone managed to get a Belgian number/IMSI working?...
(another) typical Toggle: Local numbers from AT, RO and BE disappeared again, they're no longer in the menu.

Gr8.

Old
  (#524)
peterdoo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 31-05-2015, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Thanks. What kind of software do you use to read your SIM? I would like to cross check what that tool says for my SIM cards that according to my good old Nokia N95 have a EHPLMN list.
I use one of the cyan 5€ USB SIM readers from Amazon and a home made Windows software. If you want to give it a try, you can get it here.

It only works with low cost Phoenix style readers. Not with more expensive PC/SC readers.

Open a CMD window and specify the COM port number of the reader (you can find it in the device manager) and the PIN, for example (COM10 and PIN 1234):
cardread -port=10 -PIN=1234

Old
  (#525)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-06-2015, 12:29

We're just back from Europe. I used Toggle for the first time there, initially in the UK and then in France.

There are tons of options in the UK but Toggle works well, calls home to Canada inexpensively, and has inexpensive local data add-ons. I was very pleased with it there.

In France, the situation is more complicated. Prepaid SIMs are a bit trickier to get. Lyca and lebara goth have good options. But you know what? I found Toggle to be perfectly satisfactory. I wish you could buy a smaller block of data than a gigabyte (a half gig would have done me fine) but the rates were reasonable enough for data, and the voice rates were great. The local French number came in quite handy when we had an issue with our rented flat and our property manager wanted a way to reach us.

I'll definitely be keeping my Toggle SIMs alive to use again, even though we don't travel abroad that often. And hopefully Canada is added to the list of countries with good rates - it would be great to give travelers here a better option than is available now.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#526)
gaztelugatxe (Offline)
Official Member

Default 09-06-2015, 23:51

Hello

I came from Portugal and receiving calls to the Spanish toggle number were free of charge (as you already confirmed me )

On the other hand, I had a problem that also happened to me while in France last year: some calls (just few of them) are finished without a reason.

I´ve been using an old Nokia now and also a another similar handset in France.

Calling parties had differents handsets this time and were using even different networks in Spain (Vodafone ES to call to France and Yoigo ES to call to Portugal)

Did anyone have such issues?

Regards

Old
  (#527)
peterdoo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-06-2015, 12:13

I have from time to time a call where as soon as it is connected, one only hears noise or only one direction audio. However in my case the calls that are established correctly never have been terminated without a reason.

Old
  (#528)
peterdoo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 15-03-2016, 01:48

I have seen a recent Lycamobile SIM. In the SIM toolkit menu there are the following 20 selections preloaded:

Roaming
Spain
Netherlands
Australia
UK
Norway
Denmark
Sweden
Germany
Poland
Ireland
France
Switzerland
Portugal
Belgium
USA
Italy
Austria
Romania
Hongkong

All Lyca countries except Tunisia. Obviously they have increased the number of possible identities on a SIM. I would assume that somebody that orders a replacement SIM for Toggle today would get a new SIM without the previous limitation to 10 identities.

Old
  (#529)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-03-2016, 00:52

Does this mean toggle isn't needed anymore?

Any Lyca sim now offers the same service?

What about the rates?

Old
  (#530)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-03-2016, 10:04

No. While Lycamobile obviously uses the technology developed for and proven by the toggle project to evade roaming costs across their markets, Lycamobile has different tariffs which cannot compete with toggle's traveller-friendly pricing.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Tags
netherlands, toggle