PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Aclan (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Buying WIND Sim in Dolomites and other questions concerning Italy - 10-02-2009, 23:01

Hi there

I'm going skiing next week - I'm going to Val di Fassa in Italy. Recently I've started thinking about some cheap way to communicate with the rest of my family in Poland. Since Polish Zloty's value decreased significantly because of the crisis, I am looking for the CHEAP solutions.

First of all - the Italian rates are horrid. Man, it's expensive there! And what's with the set-up fee? Italy is weird

But enough for the rabmlings. There are my question:

Can you buy a Wind SIM in the Val di Fassa (preferably Moena)? Is the SIM active instantly after the purchase?

Is the Call Your Country option really free to activate within 24h from SIM activation? How do I do it (I speak no Italian)?

What happens to the WIND SIM after 11 moths from the last refill? Is it dead for good, or can it be 'reincarnated'? Can you refill the WIND online?

Can you buy a Auchan Mobile or Telepass SIM in the Val di Fassa?

EDIT:
OMG, I've just discovered that TIM international calls have no set-up fee, so the TIM is cheaper. They have really expensive SMSes, though.
So, please consider my question about buying and using WIND prepaid as questions concerning WIND and TIM tariffs. Is TIM's Welcome Home offer free of activation charge?

Last edited by Aclan; 10-02-2009 at 23:10.. Reason: New tariff discovery :)

Old
  (#2)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 11-02-2009, 00:31

Hello Aclan, welcome to PPGSM!
I found a reseller in Moena in Via L. Vial 1.
Anyway there is another reseller in Predazzo (not a long way from Moena) in Via Fiamme Gialle 64.
You can activate the Call Your Country option for free asking the reseller to do so.
Don't worry about the language, he should speak German (as it is often taught at school in that region) or English.
The sim dies after 12 months after the last recharge but there is the possibility to recover the number and the credit for 12 months more (you should send Wind a letter asking to do so, in Italian of course!).

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 11-02-2009, 11:44

I don't think Italian rates are that horrid, Wind Senza Scatto is cheaper than several Polish prepaid offers... Rates for international calls from Italian mobiles are surely horrid, that's sure, but to some countries they are very cheap, Poland is among those lucky countries.

BTW Wind cards are not active immediately, but usually it doesn't take much time. The same for Call Your country option. It could take up to 2 days to have everything working, but usually it's all ok after a couple of hours.

If you have to call back to Poland I think TIM Welcome Home is better.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#4)
Aclan (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 13-02-2009, 13:41

Thanks for answer.

TIM's SMSes are twice more expensive than WIND's, and since I'll be using the as well, I think that WIND is better for me.

Are the Wind stores open in sunday?

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 13-02-2009, 14:10

No, usually shops in Italy are closed on Sundays.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Tags
italy, wind