PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#131)
ocular (Offline)

Default 30-06-2010, 16:59

Update - How to use an Australian "3" E160 usb modem with a Wind Sim card
Had to flash to non 3 firmware -from here

Downloaded dashboard (Mobile Partner) /dashboard update /firmware update.

Flash code is required for the firmware update. Found a forum that will provide this flash code if you provide model and IMEI (only for Huawei) very efficiently.

Installed Wind easy Connect (English language option)then the Dashboard (Mobile Partner) software onto PC which provides the drivers for the E160.

APN internet.wind setup and able to connect via Wind easy Connect interface at last.

Old
  (#132)
Lucy (Offline)
Official Member

Default Cheapest Italian sim for brief visit - 02-07-2010, 16:35

I'll be in Italy for just 9 days next month. I'd like the cheapest sim just to use calling my traveling partner (and he to call me) in case we are separated. Or maybe to call an Italian hotel or restaurant or friend. Not likely we will call out of Italy. I've noticed on this site a number of sims for 5 euros with 5 euros credit, with all the minutes prices slightly different.

Any recommendations, taking into account the quality of the network as well as the price? As well as a card that is relatively easy to pick up in Trieste at/near the train station.

Last edited by Lucy; 02-07-2010 at 16:41..

Old
  (#133)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-07-2010, 08:27

Any card is ok. If you go with Wind you can find an official shop in VIA SAN SPIRIDIONE, 6/B, in the very centre of Trieste, about 15 mins on foot from the train station, SEE HERE.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#134)
cgingras (Offline)

Default 05-07-2010, 23:44

I've been searching and reading on Italy SIM cards and data plans for the last few days and I must say this forum is fantastic! Thank you to all people involved.

My wife and I will be spending a little more than a week in Tuscany in mid-September, landing in Rome and then driving up to the heart of Tuscany, between Siena and Firenze. It's our first time there and we can't wait.

I will need a data connection while I'm there (mainly for work-related issues) and I will have an unlocked iPhone 4 with me (should be readily available by then in Canada), with a MicroSIM. I also need to be able to make a limited number of local calls while I'm there (reservations and such).

Here are the steps I'm thinking I need to do to get my iPhone working in Italy (and related questions). Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

1. I already have a "codice fiscale" and I will have my passport with me.

2. I'll go to a TIM shop (best coverage in Tuscany, from what I got from the coverage info and maps) and purchase a Prepagata at 10 euros, which will also give me a credit of 5 euros for calls (that should be enough for the few calls I'll make there).

Question:
Are the MicroSIMs readily available in all TIM shops? I guess they are but I want to make sure (I don't want to have to cut a regular SIM card to make it fit in the iPhone 4).

3. Once the SIM card is activated, I'll text MAXIPHONE ON to 40916 to activate the "Maxxi per iPhone" data plan (50 Mb/day for 15 euros/month, with free iPhone Daily in case I go over 50 Mb any given day, for a total of 80 Mb).

4. Just before I leave, I'll text MAXIPHONE OFF to 40916 to deactivate the data plan

Am I OK? Should I use other cheaper data plans?

And what about TIM shops around the Roma airport in Fiumicino? We'll land on a Sunday. Looks like there's one at Parco Leonardo on via Portuense open 7 days/week from 9 to 22. But will I be able to find the shop easily in this large commercial center?

Or should I wait until Monday at Montevarchi (along the A1 Autostrada, where we'll get off the highway to go to our villa)? Do I have a bigger chance of finding someone who speaks a little English (or French) near Roma or in Montevarchi? If you have better ideas for a TIM shop, let's hear it!

Are there any TIM shops at the airport that will be accessible to me on Sunday?

Thank you in advance.

Old
  (#135)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-07-2010, 10:07

@ cgingras
At Fiumicino airport there's only Vodafone and 3 official shops. There's a multibrand store too, called Smartphone, at Terminal 3 (arrivals area) where they could have a TIM or Wind card too.

BTW in a big commercial center in Rome you'll probably have more chance to find a mini-sim, if there's an official TIM shop. Mini sims just appeared recently for the iPad, they are not common at all, but all 4 operators should have them, at least at official shops. I keep on thinking it's an absurd move by Apple which is causing only troubles...

All the rest is ok, except the fact you will have to refill your card since 5€ are not enough for the iPhone data plan (10€/month). So buy the card, buy a refill (at least 10€) and then activate the option via SMS.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#136)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-07-2010, 10:12

BTW I notice the iPhone option doesn't exist anymore.
You can use the TIMxSMARTPHONE option, at 2€/week for 200MB/week.
Send an SMS to 40916 writing TIMSMART ON.
Remember to use ibox.tim.it as APN on the iPhone (wap.tim.it for other phones, blackberry.net if you have a blackberry).

Old
  (#137)
cgingras (Offline)

Default 06-07-2010, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
BTW I notice the iPhone option doesn't exist anymore.
I saw it on the TIM website last night. Where do we take this information that it's not available anymore?

Thanks again.

Old
  (#138)
cgingras (Offline)

Default 06-07-2010, 12:17

I saw it here:
Maxxi Internet per iPhone - TIM

Old
  (#139)
Lucy (Offline)
Official Member

Default 06-07-2010, 15:06

Re your suggestion about using Wind: How about the other-branded and virtual operators that use the networks of the main operators. I used an MVNO in Germany last year and it was fine. Aren't they just as good and cheaper than the main companies (Wind, etc) in Italy? Dieci Tondo, Telepass, Lyca, Tiscali, Veloce COOP, ERG. They all seem to have 5euros sim cost/credit with a variety of minutes charges that seem equivalent depending if you have a set-up fee or cheaper network calls. Are any of those I mentioned better or worse?

Last edited by Lucy; 06-07-2010 at 15:13..

Old
  (#140)
vegemite (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-07-2010, 02:45

Been a while since I was on here last. Looks like Wind is still the best option for going around Italy for voice and data, correct me if I am wrong? Is the Wiki up to date with activation information? I will print it out and take it with me in August.

HTC Desire (unlocked UK version) / Nokia E71 (Wife's phone) / 3 Australia Post Paid SIM (both)

Looking for data / voice SIMS for Europe in August 2010 - UK, France, Italy, Austria, Croatia and Bosnia

Tags
3 ita, tim, vodafone it, wind it