PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#51)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Adding to My Previous Post.... - 13-07-2009, 21:33

Localphone, which has very good rates to UK mobiles in general, has much higher rates to Jersey and Manx mobiles - 12.3 US cents to ordinary UK mobiles, 28 cents to Jersey mobiles, and 24 cents to Manx Telecom. I suppose it might be a trade secret, but I would be interested in knowing whether the incoming calls are a losing proposition such that Easyroam needs to limit the ratio of incoming calls as their website states they do.

The rates I referred to are here: Cheap Calls to the UK From Only 1.2¢ / 0.9p with Localphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwi View Post
OK, I'm wrong about the Jersey part (I believe some of the other international SIM carriers were based there, and it's not like Travelsim exactly highlights there location on their website), but my point was that the number is out of the typical range of UK cell numbers. In fact, given that the Isle of Man is not in the EU or the UK, the carriers there are presumably subject to different regulations (e.g., the roaming rules likely do not apply.) External Relations - Isle of Man Government -

I have used Voipjet for years, and they do indeed bill calls at the rates stated. Because they are wholesalers, their rate charts are more detailed - you will note that they charge different amounts for various different mobile carriers in different countries, based on the different charges paid by the carrier. We know that the charges do differ, and as a primarily wholesale carrier they have made a choice not to offer blended rates. As a result of the rates not being blended, their rates to most UK mobiles, for example, are unusually low. I suppose because I have done business with them for years I am assuming that the high rate for the Isle of Man number is based on some reality based to what they pay, and not whim.

I suppose the thing to do would be to look at the rates of another carrier that does not blend rates, but I haven't found one in my quick search.

Old
  (#52)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 13-07-2009, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwi View Post
Localphone, which has very good rates to UK mobiles in general, has much higher rates to Jersey and Manx mobiles - 12.3 US cents to ordinary UK mobiles, 28 cents to Jersey mobiles, and 24 cents to Manx Telecom. I suppose it might be a trade secret, but I would be interested in knowing whether the incoming calls are a losing proposition such that Easyroam needs to limit the ratio of incoming calls as their website states they do.

The rates I referred to are here: Cheap Calls to the UK From Only 1.2¢ / 0.9p with Localphone
Localphone untill very recently had the same rate to most uk mobiles (including jersey and MAnx) approximately 0,12 euros/min.
They have very recently changed their tactic, and have also increased their rates to 0844 and 0871 numbers.....

Old
  (#53)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 13-07-2009, 21:41

Actually, until yesterday they had the same rates.

Obviously they woke up and found out that they were not paying the same price for Jersey, Manx, etc. as for the standard +44 mobile numbers. Or, they always knew it, and realized that they were losing money by not charging more for those exchanges.

So far, the Betamax carriers are still very cheap to all +44 cell numbers (e.g., Poivy is 7 Euro cents per minute.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion View Post
Localphone untill very recently had the same rate to most uk mobiles (including jersey and MAnx) approximately 0,12 euros/min.
They have very recently changed their tactic.

Old
  (#54)
littleyip (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-07-2009, 06:46

Back to the original topic, Travel Sim's webpage now says the dual-sims will be available "very soon". This launch date keeps getting pushed back further and further. At the moment, I really just want to know if the dual-sims will be available for United Mobile trade-in. Easyroam?

Old
  (#55)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default Reduction of the # of free incoming countries and rate increase - 20-07-2009, 14:37

I saw the following on the easyroam rate page. I checked a number of countries that I am likely to visit, and the rate has increased. Not soo surprised though. It's a very dynamic market and one just to adjust to these changes and use the best sim card for the time and country.

Due to the new E.U call & sms price capping - some countries have been removed as free roaming

Belgium, Bulgaria, Brazil, Czech Republic, Denmark, Iceland, Isle of man, Jersey, Guernsey, Romania Serbia, Singapore, Slovenia, Switzerland & U.A.E.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#56)
f300 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 20-07-2009, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Due to the new E.U call & sms price capping - some countries have been removed as free roaming
I think they're confusing "at most" with "at least"

Old
  (#57)
MrEd (Offline)
DEALER
Advanced Member

Default 20-07-2009, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleyip View Post
At the moment, I really just want to know if the dual-sims will be available for United Mobile trade-in. Easyroam?
GeoSIM is offering UM trade ins for non operational SIMs

Old
  (#58)
easyroam- (Offline)
DEALER
Prepaid Fan

Default 21-07-2009, 10:37

U.A.E was removed due to very heavy abuse - E.U call & sms rates have been reduced.

Getting back to the main questions?

All sim cards will stay operational
There are not plans to stop any of the single numbered sim cards.

All new 07924 sim cards will have the new dual numbered technology allowing them to be updated over the air. This will allow us to switch on the USA number and any new numbers that are planed.

As for exchanging old U-M sim cards for the new dual sim. We have no plans at this time to offer the dual sim.
This may change at a later date.

Old
  (#59)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 21-07-2009, 17:15

Note that in the current version of the prior post, there is no explanation of the "very heavy abuse" regarding the U.A.E. However, if anyone is interested in what constitutes "very heavy abuse" in the eyes of Easyroam, the original post (before it was modified by the poster) stated:

U.A.E was removed due to very heavy abuse. _All_ inbound call traffic, with no outbound.

(I have a copy of the original post because I received it by email as a subscriber to the thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyroam- View Post
U.A.E was removed due to very heavy abuse - E.U call & sms rates have been reduced.

Old
  (#60)
easyroam- (Offline)
DEALER
Prepaid Fan

Default 21-07-2009, 21:37

Ronwi.
I edit most of my new posts all the time.

U.A.E was removed due to very heavy abuse and yes it was due to all inbound call traffic, with no or very little outbound usage. We are not talking about 30 minutes a day, more like 6 hours+ a day.

Any of our customers who abuse the system now get blocked and disconnected. Genuine customers are not affected.

This is why most operators have started charging a daily fee or connection charge and removing countries as free roaming.

Tags
travelsim, united mobile