PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
hkr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-08-2010, 10:37

Two things I forgot to mention.

a) Vodafone has two APNs. One of them works with compression, ie. they compress pictures, text and everything they can. This means you get less good looking pictures, but a lot less data. If you do not need full resolution of ads and all, you can save a lot by this.

b) It is also worth noting that while Telenor and T-Mobile offer EDGE for the most of the country, Vodafone only has GPRS in areas where their 3G is unavailable. If you travel a lot to rural areas, this can be a factor. But as a matter of fact I have found that EDGE can sometimes actually feel slower than GPRS...

Postpaid:
3x Vodafone (HU) 1x T-Mobile) formerly also Pannon
Prepaid:
Vodafone, Pannon, T-Mobile (HU) Optimus (PT) SamiSwoi, ERA, Orange (PL) VIP (HR) T-Mobile (AT) Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile (UK) Vodafone (DE) Data-only prepaid: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Djuice/Pannon (HU)
International SIMs: UM+, Sim4Travel, TravelSim
Phones: Nokia E51, E71, Samsung D880, SE P990i, Ericsson T39m -forever! , many others in the drawer. 3G modems Huawei E220, E870, EU870D, U740, Alcatel X200
VoIP: Justvoip, CallWithUs, Neophonex, fonline, Macrogate and several others for outgoing... DIDs from Macrogate, DIDww, Gradwell, Voxbone and others. FreePBX, Vigor router with inbuilt ATA, Nokia E-series phones.

Old
  (#12)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Thumbs up 14-08-2010, 14:46

I went with Vodafone and was not disappointed. Didn't do any tests, but speed seemed very fast. Also apparently latency is low, made several flawless calls through VOIP.

Old
  (#13)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 17-08-2010, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkr View Post
T-Mobile is not renowned for being the most flexible or cheapest... However, their 'Domino Web' package is sort of copying a similar package of Vodafone.
Ok, maybe I understand now what you're talking about.
I think on their website, there is only information about Domino Net and not Domino Web.
Finally I found information about Domino Web in the Domino Tariff Guide... (page 15, 2.2.12.2.)
I don't like it though as you're paying 490 HUF even if you don't use it and for most usages it's more expensive than Vodafone.

Old
  (#14)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Lightbulb 17-08-2010, 14:49

Let's compare:

So for <1.5GB, Vodafone is generally better.
Above 1GB, you might want to get a fixed data plan from T-Mobile (Domino Net M or L), as you high premiums for the flexibility.

Old
  (#15)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Lightbulb 17-08-2010, 15:53

Just to illustrate the point I made above:

As you can see, Domino Net 40 MB, Domino Net 100 MB and Domino Net 500 MB are useless.

Domino Net M is ideal between 1GB and about 3GB, while Domino Net L is ideal between about 3GB and about 8 GB.

Old
  (#16)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Lightbulb 17-08-2010, 18:15

Quote:
Telenor's offers are around here:
Mobile Online 5 GB - Telenor
Mobile Online 10 GB - Telenor

Telenor has the Djuice brand aimed at young people, their Reload Net package might also be interesting: djuice
Reload Net is indeed interesting!
Do you know if Mobile Online 5 GB and Mobile Online 10 GB are available with prepaid?

Djuce Reload Net offers internet for 5 HUF / MB.
Additionally a 500 MB (1990 HUF), a 1GB (2990 HUF) and a 5 GB (5990 HUF) package are available.
These packages are valid for 45 days. The great thing is that you can renew them anytime you want. So if you have used up the data before the 45 days are over, you can activate a new package. This is not possible with T-Mobile.

Let's add Djuce:

So if you need between 50MB and 1GB, it's quite interesting!
Also from 8 GB and above...

Old
  (#17)
hkr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 26-08-2010, 16:51

Hi,

thanks for all the interesting comparison and charts.

I am not 100% sure about DominoWeb, I think that they only take the HUF 490 when you start using the internet, so if you dont use it at all, you dont have to pay either. But I will double check.

The main thing to consider beside price is speed and coverage. I mainly use a 3 MB T-Mobile subscription, but also use Vodafone and Telenor SIMs. I find that T-Mobile is usually the fastest of the three, and they also offer EDGE when 3G is unavailable. Telenor/Djuice also offers EDGE. Vodafone does not, so if there is no UMTS coverage, only GPRS is available. It is useful to remember, especially if you are to use stick in a rural area. But generally speaking all three are usable. With some white spots on the map.

As I need internet on the go, but have modest traffic, I keep three SIMs with me, and if one fails, I might use another.

Postpaid:
Prepaid:
Vodafone, Pannon, T-Mobile (HU) Optimus (PT) SamiSwoi, ERA, Orange (PL) VIP (HR) T-Mobile (AT) Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile (UK) Vodafone (DE) Data-only prepaid: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Djuice/Pannon (HU)
Phones: Nokia E51, E71, Samsung D880, SE P990i, Ericsson T39m -forever! , many others in the drawer. 3G modems Huawei E220, E870, EU870D, U740, Alcatel X200
VoIP: Justvoip, CallWithUs, Neophonex, fonline, Macrogate and several others for outgoing... DIDs from Macrogate, DIDww, Gradwell, Voxbone and others. FreePBX, Vigor router with inbuilt ATA, Nokia E-series phones.

Old
  (#18)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 28-08-2010, 22:53

Quote:
thanks for all the interesting comparison and charts.
You're welcome.

Quote:
The main thing to consider beside price is speed and coverage. I mainly use a 3 MB T-Mobile subscription, but also use Vodafone and Telenor SIMs. I find that T-Mobile is usually the fastest of the three, and they also offer EDGE when 3G is unavailable. Telenor/Djuice also offers EDGE. Vodafone does not, so if there is no UMTS coverage, only GPRS is available. It is useful to remember, especially if you are to use stick in a rural area. But generally speaking all three are usable. With some white spots on the map.
Thanks, good to know!

Old
  (#19)
hkr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Daily tickets - 17-09-2010, 09:06

There are two interesting data options from Vodafone HU.

If you have a normal voice SIM, for daily 150 HUF you get 10 MB for a day. It is useful for checking your mail / surf some websites on your phone.

If you have the "Vodafone Instant Net" SIM in your modem, the daily ticket costs 590 HUF, but it gives you 300 MB for the day. Can be a good alternative for short stay visitors.

Postpaid:
Prepaid:

Old
  (#20)
hkr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 23-09-2010, 12:35

Just re-checked. If you do not use your T-Mobile DominoWEB card in a given month at all, it is free. But immediately you start using it, you pay the HUF 490. With Vodafone Vitamax Instant Net, the first 50 MB / month is always free and you only pay when you have exceeded the 50 MB that given 30 days.

Postpaid:
Prepaid: