PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default Three Like Home Question - 18-04-2009, 14:39

In August, I am taking a Baltic cruise which starts in Copenhagen and ends in Stockholm. Based on the way things work there is also a stopover in Visby. I will be in Denmark and Sweden a total of six days. I have a UK 3 SIM broadband SIM that I bought for data two months ago. My wife will be in the UK later this month and I was going to have her buy a 3 recharge slip for the trip.

Can I buy the data package on it the same as if I was in the UK? If so, can pull from the package in both Denmark and Sweden?

Old
  (#2)
Ties Brants (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-04-2009, 18:25

I would think so:

3 - Help & Support - Mobile Broadband Help - Got a question?
3 - Help & Support - International - 3 Like Home - Pay As You Go

But i'm not 100% sure, I don't have a 3 uk sim card. But it worked perfectly with my Italian card in both Sweden en Denmark.

btw: if you are going to use a lot of data: Three Sweden had a broadband offer for 99 krona for the sim card with 1 week included (at least they had last summer) and then you have unlimited broadband internet. They have something similar in Denmark and that one should even work in Sweden. The problem is that I wasn't able to buy one, because they wanted a Danish ID card.

Old
  (#3)
JohnDoe

Default 18-04-2009, 20:17

Ok, first hand info ...

3UK is working in Sweden and you can use your data allowance or your package or whatever you have activated.

I did used data in Sweden and no surcharge occurred while usage.

You should activate your add on before you enter Sweden through the 3 customer account web page.

(... it worked even in Indonesia 4 month ago)

Last edited by JohnDoe; 18-04-2009 at 20:22..

Old
  (#4)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-04-2009, 21:11

Another Three Like Home question:

I'm spending a couple weeks in England this summer (Great British Beer Festival, of course!) and so was looking for a good PAYG data SIM. I ordered a Three mobile broadband SIM as it seemed to be a good fit for me.

Anyway, it turns out I'm going to be in Hong Kong in June (before England) so I, in theory, should be able take advantage of Three Like Home. But the SIM doesn't have any credit and it appears (haven't tried myself because the SIM hasn't arrived) that you can only top up online with a UK credit card.

So my questions:

1) How integrated are all the Three services -- that is, if I buy a Three top up in HKG can I top up my Three UK SIM? and

2) If so, can I activate a Three Like Home data add-on even though the SIM will never have been used in the UK?

I can probably have a friend in London buy me a top up and email me the code, if that would make it work.

Its not a big deal -- I'm only there for 3 days or so, but if I can make it work it would make life slightly easier. Especially since my UM and UM+ SIMs are not even useful as paperweights

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#5)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 20-04-2009, 22:35

I don't think vouchers from their other networks can be used, and they've said before about only UK credit cards, so it sounds like you will be asking the friend to send the top-up code, which I imagine you'd add by calling 444 free from HK. And you should be able to add the data add-on either logging in to your account from your PC or using My3 from the phone. But I'll call them later or tomorrow and check this can be done even if the SIM hasn't been here at all (I've just put that phone on charge)

Old
  (#6)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-04-2009, 22:47

I was able to recharge my British T-Mobile SIM with a German AmEx allthough my Visas and Mastercards were refused. Also while staying in the US tuyo accepted my AmEx but not the others. That's why I assume that AmEx cards can't be limited or associated to a certain country. So maybe you could recharge your 3 SIM with an AmEx.
When being asked for my (British) address by T-Mobile UK I provided the postal code of the producer of a bag of chips.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#7)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 21-04-2009, 11:59

Thanks for the suggestions.

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...

Old
  (#8)
JohnDoe

Default 21-04-2009, 12:32

@TheMadBrewer

Some answers to your questions:

1. No, you can not topup with a HK topup code a UK pay as you go 3 SIM card. (Did tried that myself ...)

2. You can activate add on´s even if the SIM was never used in the UK.

3. You can top up your 3 SIM from anywhere in the world by buying over this web site a voucher:

TopUpForLess

Just contact them by e-mail before you buy.

To buy your add on use the 444 (unfortunately I was never successful by using the 444) or do it over the web interface by using your customer account at 3 web page.

You can NOT register foreign credit cards in your 3 web account. Three is verifying every credit card data as these are name, address, city, ZIP code and ISSUING country of the credit card.

So Inquisitor, PLEASE do not write tips and infos which you never tried, used or did yourself.

Old
  (#9)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 30-04-2009, 21:46

I have a UK Visa debit card. Does this mean I can register my SIM and top up as needed?

Old
  (#10)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 30-04-2009, 23:31

Ok registered no problem. Now I am curious about Skype and whether it needs to be used on an Orange phone or whether I can use the SIM in an E Series Nokia with something like ISkoot.