PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#171)
wisniak (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 26-04-2011, 16:20

Well, I returned from a wonderful 12 day trip to Greece.

As I wrote in a previous post, I tried purchasing a Cosmote SIM card at the airport, but the store was closed and apparently the only other available store was inside Departures.

So we began our trip in Leivadia, where I found a Vodafone store w/o available SIM cards. So I hiked up the hill to the Wind center, where the purchasing process took about 15 minutes and the sales girls sold me (what she said was) a 7 day card for 15 Euros and 3GB, which was activated immediately (unlike my previous experiences in Italy and France).

Also, unlike France and Italy, I had nothing to change in the iPhone (3GS) setup - it worked immediately.

In order to prevent further hassle, I immediately purchased a 7-day refill card for 10 Euros, which would have sufficed to cover the remainder of our trip. Can't remember the GB, but it was over 1GB, which again was more than enough.

Bottom line, the original SIM card held throughout the 12 day trip, w/o requiring the top-up (so now I have a top up card for sale).

We stayed in the Delphi area, Pelion, Zagoria, Lefkada, Athens.
In most places there was more than adequate GPRS/EDGE coverage, very poor 3G coverage (except in Athens). But again, for my needs it sufficed.

Every time I rebooted my iPhone (not related to the SIM card) - I was required to reenter the PIN code, Evan covered this issue in a prior post above. In any case this was a technical thing, did not affect the Wind card usage in any way.

Thank you again Evan for all your invaluable help.

Old
  (#172)
dognaldo (Offline)

Default 11-05-2011, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisniak View Post
Well, I returned from a wonderful 12 day trip to Greece.
Hi,

About Germano store closed, at what time you arrived at the airport?

Is the store open on weekends?

Did you ever use VoIP with this Vodafone data sim ?

[ ] ´s

Last edited by dognaldo; 11-05-2011 at 20:02..

Old
  (#173)
wisniak (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 11-05-2011, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognaldo View Post
Hi,

About Germano store closed, at what time you arrived at the airport?

[ ] ´s
No, just for browsing.
Always had GPRS, most of the time didn't have 3G.
But contrary to my bad experiences in France and Italy, this time the SIM was active immediately and was connected to the right package from the start.
However, the Wind salesperson told me the card would be good for 7 days only, and so I purchased a 7 day refill card for an additional 10 Eur, turned out she was wrong and the original card was good for the full trip.
Minor inconvenience.

Old
  (#174)
Nicholas (Offline)

Default 17-05-2011, 12:30

Hi all,

I'm glad I came across this forum.

All help would be appreciated, in answering my question.

I will be travelling to Greece and going to places like Symi, Corfu, Athens. Which carrier would have the best voice and data plans and coverage for border areas like Symi? I have an iPhone 3gs that I use to tether to my tablet, which I would like to do whilst travelling through Greece.

I have been looking through the various providers websites, but I end up confusing myself. That's why I'm glad I found you guys!

Thanks again.

Old
  (#175)
Nicholas (Offline)

Default 18-05-2011, 04:04

Hi people,

I have been reading through this very informative thread, and would like to ask a question(s) about what sim/plan/bundle would be better off for someone like myself.

I will be travelling in Greece for seven weeks and going to such border islands like Symi, and Kerkyra. I would like a voice & data plan, and I use my iPhone 3gs to tether to my tablets whilst I am travelling using MyWi 4. I will be running an online business while travelling, so, data and coverage is important to me. a largish data plan would be nice.

I have had a look at all the major providers websites, but still find myself a little confused about how they structure such plans. Having said this, I have had a better understanding of how things work with the help of the informative posters here.

Thanks.

Old
  (#176)
Nicholas (Offline)

Default 21-05-2011, 10:00

Pretty quiet in here.

Old
  (#177)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 23-05-2011, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by labralabra View Post
Can one have a micro-sim (for iPad) in the prepaid 3G data plans with operators providing prepaid 3G data connections in Greece?
You can get a microSIM with Cosmote and Vodafone data plans, since both are offering the iPhone/iPad on their networks. I’m not sure if Wind provides microSIMs at the moment but I guess they will in the near future, since they will also start officially offering the iPhone on their network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisniak View Post
We stayed in the Delphi area, Pelion, Zagoria, Lefkada, Athens. In most places there was more than adequate GPRS/EDGE coverage, very poor 3G coverage (except in Athens). But again, for my needs it sufficed.

Thank you again Evan for all your invaluable help.
You are welcome wisniak. Generally Cosmote and Vodafone have better/faster 3G and better coverage especially on the areas you've visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dognaldo View Post
Hi, About Germano store closed, at what time you arrived at the airport?

[ ] ´s
Most Germanos stores are open from 9am to 9pm but I don't know about the one at the airport. You can give them a call at +302103534956. But even if it's closed when you arrive you will find many stores in Athens, just have a look on my previous posts and the store locator links.

Also, Germanos doesn't offer Vodafone SIMs, only Cosmote. Regarding VoIP Vodafone forbids it and actively blocks it. Cosmote and Wind don't have a clear policy about VoIP, and I could use Wind data plans for very good VoIP connections at least until last summer when I was last visited Greece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Hi all,

I'm glad I came across this forum.

All help would be appreciated, in answering my question.

I will be travelling to Greece and going to places like Symi, Corfu, Athens. Which carrier would have the best voice and data plans and coverage for border areas like Symi? I have an iPhone 3gs that I use to tether to my tablet, which I would like to do whilst travelling through Greece.

I have been looking through the various providers websites, but I end up confusing myself. That's why I'm glad I found you guys!

Thanks again.
Hi Nicholas and welcome to the forum. I wrote a fairly recent overview about the prepaid data plans in Greece. You can start from here:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/gree...html#post36105

or click on the links on my signature.

Some things have changed since March but they are minor (mainly offers etc). I will update this weekend with all the latest offers/changes.

Have a look on the posts and let me know if you have any additional question.

Old
  (#178)
Nicholas (Offline)

Default 24-05-2011, 02:37

Hi Evan,

Thanks for your response.

From what I understand on your highly detailed post on the various plans from the various Telco's, the Voice + the small data plans included would be the 'What's up' & 'Cosmokarta' from Cosmote? I can just walk in and purchase one of these at the airport?

I made a little investment on a Huawei E583C pocket wifi since writing my last post. I gather the Cosmote internet on the go me karta would be the one I would go for as it has 1,3, & 5G data plans. Do these come with a sim that I would install in the Huawei (Which I haven't received yet), or a usb dongle? I don't think it would support a normal USB dongle, as I think it only has a mini usb port. I will be using the Huawei as a stand alone wifi connection point for my wifi only tablets.

Lastly, I have had a look at all the coverage tables for all the Telco's in Greece, but in your opinion, as I am travelling to Symi and kerkyra, would you know who would offer the best coverage for these areas?

Sorry for my double posts.

Thanks again, Evan.

Cheers!

Old
  (#179)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 27-05-2011, 19:01

Hi Nicholas,

most of your questions are already answered by me and some the members here but I understand that there's too much info to read at once.

I'm afraid there's no way I could tell you which operator has the best coverage in Kerkyra or Symi, since the 3G by it's nature varies significantly in signal coverage and quality, not only in different parts of the same town but even in different spots of the same house. The best way to know which one has good data coverage/quality is to test them on the locations you are visiting (I have detailed how to on my first post).

In general though, Cosmote has the most extended coverage in Greece while Vodafone has the best (=speed and latency) network.

If you decide to purchase a Cosmote SIM and since you will need voice too, you can get a Cosmocarta OR a What's Up SIM Card (not both, there's no need for that). Yes, you just walk in and purchase one of these in any Germanos or Cosmote store but you will need your passport for the registration and the activation. You can read the experiences of wisniak and the DeBilbao on this and the previous page regarding the purchase/registration/activation of a sim card.

After the activation, if you want to have data on your phone, you can purchase the 60MB (for the moment it's 120MB) data addon for 3€. You can add as many data addons as you like, and each time 60 (now 120MB) will be added to your remaining data volume. However, if you already have the Huawei WiFi modem, you won't need to purchase this "small data" add-on. You can just buy the "Cosmote internet on the go me karta" and connect your Phone wirelessly with the WiFi Modem.

For data on your notebook/tablet, you need to purchase and register/activate a second SIM card which does only data (not voice or texts), with the plan "Cosmote internet on the go me karta". You can read my post for more info, as well as the recent post of DeBilbao regarding this plan (on the previous page). This plan comes with 1. a SIM or 2. a SIM and a USB Modem. Since you already have the Huawei Wifi you won't need another modem so just go for the Started Pack with a SIM only that is much cheaper.

Re your Huawei WiFi Modem, I don't think that you will have any problem given that it supports the Cosmote/European 3G bands. I have the previous model of the same modem, and it worked without any issues with all three Greek operators. I guess yours is the one on the right, mine is on the left:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/...cd6ec14f_o.jpg

Some tips that applied on my Huawei WiFi and probably apply on yours too:

1. Make sure that the modem is not SIM-locked, i.e., it's unlocked for all the networks. Also make sure that you can add new APNs setting. To do both, my modem needed first unlocking and then a firmware update.
2. The modem can be configured while wired (through USB in a laptop) or wirelessly (through a web configuration menu via a phone/tablet/laptop browser). The second method is much more versatile since you will be able to change or check any settings of the modem without any cables.
3. Check if you can make new settings for a Cosmote/Vodafone/Wind connection (APNs etc) while you are connected to the modem's web configuration wirelessly. It's better to save those connection settings before you come to Greece. Then, the only thing you'll need is to insert the Cosmote SIM, connect to the modem through your phone/tablet and choose the Cosmote pre-configured connection.

Hope this helps. If you need any additional information don't hesitate to ask.

Old
  (#180)
Nicholas (Offline)

Default 29-05-2011, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Hi Nicholas,

most of your questions are already answered by me and some the members here but I understand that there's too much info to read at once.

I'm afraid there's no way I could tell you which operator has the best coverage in Kerkyra or Symi, since the 3G by it's nature varies significantly in signal coverage and quality, not only in different parts of the same town but even in different spots of the same house. The best way to know which one has good data coverage/quality is to test them on the locations you are visiting (I have detailed how to on my first post).

In general though, Cosmote has the most extended coverage in Greece while Vodafone has the best (=speed and latency) network.

If you decide to purchase a Cosmote SIM and since you will need voice too, you can get a Cosmocarta OR a What's Up SIM Card (not both, there's no need for that). Yes, you just walk in and purchase one of these in any Germanos or Cosmote store but you will need your passport for the registration and the activation. You can read the experiences of wisniak and the DeBilbao on this and the previous page regarding the purchase/registration/activation of a sim card.

After the activation, if you want to have data on your phone, you can purchase the 60MB (for the moment it's 120MB) data addon for 3€. You can add as many data addons as you like, and each time 60 (now 120MB) will be added to your remaining data volume. However, if you already have the Huawei WiFi modem, you won't need to purchase this "small data" add-on. You can just buy the "Cosmote internet on the go me karta" and connect your Phone wirelessly with the WiFi Modem.

For data on your notebook/tablet, you need to purchase and register/activate a second SIM card which does only data (not voice or texts), with the plan "Cosmote internet on the go me karta". You can read my post for more info, as well as the recent post of DeBilbao regarding this plan (on the previous page). This plan comes with 1. a SIM or 2. a SIM and a USB Modem. Since you already have the Huawei Wifi you won't need another modem so just go for the Started Pack with a SIM only that is much cheaper.

Re your Huawei WiFi Modem, I don't think that you will have any problem given that it supports the Cosmote/European 3G bands. I have the previous model of the same modem, and it worked without any issues with all three Greek operators. I guess yours is the one on the right, mine is on the left:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/...cd6ec14f_o.jpg

Some tips that applied on my Huawei WiFi and probably apply on yours too:

1. Make sure that the modem is not SIM-locked, i.e., it's unlocked for all the networks. Also make sure that you can add new APNs setting. To do both, my modem needed first unlocking and then a firmware update.
2. The modem can be configured while wired (through USB in a laptop) or wirelessly (through a web configuration menu via a phone/tablet/laptop browser). The second method is much more versatile since you will be able to change or check any settings of the modem without any cables.
3. Check if you can make new settings for a Cosmote/Vodafone/Wind connection (APNs etc) while you are connected to the modem's web configuration wirelessly. It's better to save those connection settings before you come to Greece. Then, the only thing you'll need is to insert the Cosmote SIM, connect to the modem through your phone/tablet and choose the Cosmote pre-configured connection.

Hope this helps. If you need any additional information don't hesitate to ask.
Hi Evan,

Thanks for your reply.

The choosing of which telco/ plan to go with isn't too hard, it's more of a matter of getting as much info as possible. You certainly have helped in informing me as much as someone could hope for.

My Huawei is unlocked and ready to go. Luckily, it connects well with my tablet and the web management page in case I need to udjust settings while travelling. Yes, my one is on the right of that photo. I can also make new profiles, the only setting that cannot be changed is the dial up number which is set at *99#. This cannot be changed.

I will also have a look at the previous posts toget a better idea of the process and experience of others.

Kind regards,

Nicholas

Tags
cosmote, greece gprs, vodafone gr, wind gr