PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#91)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 01-06-2012, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrequentflyer View Post
However the activation instructions on the PWIA page imply that buying the data packages ("Tagesflatrate" or "Monatsflatrate") has to be done through SMS, and I can't do that with the data stick or iPad.
The iPad indeed doesn't support SMS but all USB modems I've seen so far support SMS, at least if you use the unbranded dashboard software from the device's manufacturer.

Quote:
Is it possible to select these over the web?
Have you actually read the very first sentence below the heading "data tariffs" on the PWIA wiki?
It says:
Quote:
the following data options can be subscribed and cancelled by SMS or online through LIDL's customer service portal, which may take several hours to take effect (tariff changes made online seem to become effective faster)
So you can flawlessly select data packages online on Lidl's webpage, which from my observation actually takes effect faster than requests submitted by SMS.

Quote:
If this will not work, I assume that I could put the SIM in my phone to sign up the data package, then remove it and put it in the data stick. But that seems a little awkward.
Yes, this would work, too.

Quote:
One more question... I will give my hotel as my address when activating the SIMs. If the registration letter arrives at my hotel after I depart, will they cancel the account?
They will only deactivate your SIM card if the confirmation letter returns due to being undeliverable. If your hotel accepts the letter your SIM card will remain active for quite a while (at least 18 months after your last usage). So it would not be a problem if the letter arrived after your departure as long as your hotel does not return it. Just tell them to litter that letter from Fonic (that's the company behind Lidl) addresses to you.

However a problem could be for you that Lidl still don't sell microSIMs. If you want to use the SIM card in an iPad you would need to punch out a microSIM from the regular SIM. So you should buy and carry a microSIM cutter (sold for $4 on ebay.com) in order to render your Lidl SIM card iPad-compatible. Alternatively I can offer you to get you some Lidl SIM cards and punch out microSIMs from them as I recently bought such a microSIM cutter after I got a Sony Xperia P which requires microSIMs.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#92)
toofrequentflyer (Offline)

Default 01-06-2012, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Have you actually read the very first sentence below the heading "data tariffs" on the PWIA wiki?
It says:

So you can flawlessly select data packages online on Lidl's webpage, which from my observation actually takes effect faster than requests submitted by SMS.
Ouch! I plead stupidity. Or maybe negligence. No, stupidity will do...

Quote:
However a problem could be for you that Lidl still don't sell microSIMs. If you want to use the SIM card in an iPad you would need to punch out a microSIM from the regular SIM. So you should buy and carry a microSIM cutter (sold for $4 on ebay.com) in order to render your Lidl SIM card iPad-compatible. Alternatively I can offer you to get you some Lidl SIM cards and punch out microSIMs from them as I recently bought such a microSIM cutter after I got a Sony Xperia P which requires microSIMs.
Thanks but I have a SIM cutter already and have used it successfully a few times. In my experience it also is generally possible to snap the cut SIM back into the card and use it as a regular sized SIM -- usually the tension of the SIM holder is enough to keep the parts together. This is handy for moving a SIM between devices.

Thanks again for your help. I will remember to use your number so you get the referral bonus. (See, I can read after all...)

Old
  (#93)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 01-06-2012, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrequentflyer View Post
Thanks but I have a SIM cutter already and have used it successfully a few times. In my experience it also is generally possible to snap the cut SIM back into the card and use it as a regular sized SIM -- usually the tension of the SIM holder is enough to keep the parts together. This is handy for moving a SIM between devices.
Yes, that usually works.

Quote:
Thanks again for your help. I will remember to use your number so you get the referral bonus. (See, I can read after all...)
Thank you! Btw you'll also get some € 5 from the referral, so we'll both benefit from this. Since you said you were intending to buy two Lidl SIM cards, wait with the activation of the second SIM card until the first one is fully active (you'll notice this by the capability to place outgoing calls and your balance to be displayed after dialing *101#). Otherwise the referral between your first and your second SIM may fail (I assume that you'll provide your first SIM card's number as referral during activation of your second one). The only issue with the referral bonus is, that it may take up to 3 weeks (usually 1-2 weeks) to be accredited. So depending on the length of your stay you may not receive the bonus during your first stay in Germany.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 01-06-2012 at 12:28..

Old
  (#94)
smbgaiden (Offline)

Default 05-06-2012, 10:21

Thank you for your detailed instructions! I was able to activate the 5Euro card then the 15 euro top up successfully. The calling and SMS works, but I am unable to get the data to work. I did the SMS to start then confirm the dailz flat rate internet. Howver, even after adding the APN I am still not able to establish an internet connection. The phone worked well with SFR prepay in France. Is there some step that you can think of which I may have missed?

Many thanks!

Old
  (#95)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-06-2012, 18:03

I suspect the problem to be your phone or its configuration. Lidl SIM cards are data-ready out of the box, even if you don't subscribe to a specific data option. Also APN configuration is pretty straightforward as you can use any random APN - it will always connect. That leaves your phone as the most likely cause. What phone model do you use?

Old
  (#96)
smbgaiden (Offline)

Default 05-06-2012, 20:45

Use an unlocked htc sensation. I chopped the sim, three it in my 3rd gen iPad, went to settings and carrier, clicked the first German word, then clicked some pop up, and it started working for data. Moved the chopped sim into an adapter and put back in phone and data continues to work. Now rocking a hotspot from the phone.

No idea what the option I selected from the iPad is, but it made all the difference.

Old
  (#97)
sykeung (Offline)

Default 14-06-2012, 16:45

i got problem in subscibing the data plan.
i have tired to do it thur sms or do it online, it dont work ar all.
i am still using the 0.24/MB plan. my sim amount drop from 10 eur to 3.41 now.
what can i do?

Old
  (#98)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 14-06-2012, 23:47

Have you actually received an SMS confirming the activation of your data option? As I wrote on the PWIA-wiki you have to be very careful not to start browsing before your receive this message as otherwise you'll waste your credit and once the ordered data option is being activated it will fail due to an insufficient balance.

I guess you'll have to pick up a recharge voucher from the next Lidl store, recharge your account and then activate your desired data option once more.

Old
  (#99)
sykeung (Offline)

Default 15-06-2012, 07:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Have you actually received an SMS confirming the activation of your data option? As I wrote on the PWIA-wiki you have to be very careful not to start browsing before your receive this message as otherwise you'll waste your credit and once the ordered data option is being activated it will fail due to an insufficient balance.

I guess you'll have to pick up a recharge voucher from the next Lidl store, recharge your account and then activate your desired data option once more.
i tried to setup daily plan after it drop to 6eur. sms history like this:

send: START TAGESFLAT

received: Lieber FONIC Kunde, bitte bestätigen Sie die gewünschte Bestellung von TAGES-FLAT. Zur Bestätigung antworten Sie kostenlos mit JA. Ihr FONIC Team

send: JA

received: Lieber FONIC Kunde, Ihre Bestätigung ist bei uns angekommen. Ihr FONIC
Team

is there any thing wrong here? why i cannot use the daily plan as well?

Old
  (#100)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 15-06-2012, 12:50

Your request to change your data tariff was obviously successful but have you thereafter received a message confirming that the tariff change has been carried out? It may take several hours until your data option is active and as I wrote in the PWIA-wiki it usualy takes effect much faster if you perform tariff changes on the Fonic website instead of by SMS.