PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default UMA cheap set up for overseas travel - 06-12-2010, 21:04

I am looking for any idea of UMA set up with low monthly fixed fees and low termination cost. Would like to use this set up outside of the country, where is network operator home market. Doing about 2000 minutes of outgoing calls. Traveling mainly in SE Asia, Europe and Southern Africa. Currently on have some set ups working like fring, naked voip with pbx plus mobile skype.

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-12-2010, 22:28

The companies that offer UMA that I know of are TMobile (USA), Cincinnati Bell (USA), Rogers (Canada), and Orange (UK). TMobile USA has an unlimited plan over wifi and have just rolled out an unlimited talk plan to many countries:

T-Mobile to introduce 'International Talk & Text' plan - Phone Arena

Old
  (#3)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-12-2010, 10:49

Thanks Stu. I guess there is a few more companies, which do offer UMA. Orange France, Orange Spain, Orange Poland and China Unicom.

I know US T-Mobile UMA works well overseas, but the 10c/minute or higher monthly fee ( USD 30 for 1500 minutes or USD 50 for unlimited) is quite high.

Old
  (#4)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-12-2010, 17:37

You could always get a phone that can take a VoIP client, and use that over 3G or WiFi at your destination.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#5)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-12-2010, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
You could always get a phone that can take a VoIP client, and use that over 3G or WiFi at your destination.
Well Jim as I wrote in my opening message I do use VOIP on my phone. I see UMA in advantage in sending data over VPN, if I am wrong. So voice quality far better over regular VOIP. Of course I can set up data connection first, than VP and VOIP as last one, but this is not handy for regular user.

Old
  (#6)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-12-2010, 00:19

Plus, SMS works over UMA too.

Old
  (#7)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-12-2010, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
Plus, SMS works over UMA too.
Yep I forgot to mention this one too.

Old
  (#8)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 08-12-2010, 13:42

I kind of knew about Orange FR. The others are new to me. China Unicom would probably be a problem because it is a pain to set up international calling on Chinese phones.

TMobile has a new international calling plan, but the buy in for their unlimited international calling is something like $55 a month. It includes text messages as well, but excludes calls to mobiles and the higher priced countries. It is not, however, limited to the el cheapo calls. India is included, all of Mexico, etc. It is targeted at first generation Americans with strong ties to another country.

What about an IAX based softphone? IAX goes through firewalls better and runs into less blocking issues.

Old
  (#9)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-12-2010, 22:12

Well I will ask my friend in Shanghai, if he can find anything about Unicom UMA. But in China there are restrictions on everything. So I doubt. Just wish something like UMA is in HK. But here it doesnt have any justification, coz signal is everywhere. Even in MTR once the move.

Will check IAX.

Last edited by meir; 08-12-2010 at 22:23..

Old
  (#10)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-12-2010, 04:54

I am on TM USA. Live in the U.S. so have the unlimited Voice plan which for contract users comes out to something under $45/mo. Have made use of UMA in many countries over the past couple years. Voice quality is as good as regular cellular most of the time. You can call any U.S. number "for free". And of course, receive calls. The few times, I need to call a non-U.S. number (like a number in a country I am visiting at the moment) I use Google Voice, which works seamlessly on most smartphones with a GV app. GV charges 2 cents/min. to most countries landlines.
With many countries now having open wifi spots sprouting up all over (like McDonalds) you can often find places to connect outside your hotel.
Because of UMA I have found I no longer need an intl SIM.

...mike

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.