PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 23-08-2009, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiano View Post
wait...now it seems to be working. so can i purchase these from the U.S.? i assume not.

i'll forward this link to my family, and have them purchase...if they have a credit card.
Vodafone is a big company (it owns about 45 percent of Verizon Wireless - and, anomalously, Verizon owns 22 percent of Vodafone Italy - but is present under its own name in most European markets), and they have shops all over Italy, as do the other majors. Your family can pick up a SIM for you there, too, if that works out better.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#12)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-08-2009, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiano View Post
wait...now it seems to be working. so can i purchase these from the U.S.? i assume not.

i'll forward this link to my family, and have them purchase...if they have a credit card.
I really don't get your point. Since your family is in Italy they can go at any Vodafone shop (there's plenty of them) and just buy a prepaid card. They don't need any credit card, the sim usually costs 10 euros. Since registration is compulsory they need their ID/Passport and their codice fiscale (real or fake, it doesn't matter). The sim card will be automatically activated at once or in a couple of hours.

BTW if you have your family in Italy which can top up your card at any time I wouldn't choose Vodafone since it's the most expensive network in Italy and usually not so fast with data (even if it has a very wide 3G coverage).

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#13)
praiano

Default 26-08-2009, 17:36

Hi...well, someone had passed along a link to the Vodafone online store where the SIMs can be purchased, so I only mentioned a credit card as this could be easier for my family, but a walk in shop may be better.

Vodafone was recommended on this forum, I believe, as it was the only carrier where you can recharge online from the states. But I imagine my family could email me recharge codes to top off from other carriers just as easily.

One other question I haven't heard a definitive answer to: With an initial SIM card, will it need to be activated within the countries network, or would I be able to drop it in my phone in the states and have it work via roaming? I think the safe thing is to have my family drop it in their phone, make a call, and then send me the SIM.

Yes?

Thanks.

Old
  (#14)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-08-2009, 20:46

With Vodafone, you don't need to make a call, the sim is already able to work when you buy it. The problem about the call is with Tim card

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)
My best sim?--> Wind +39-328
My phones: Samsung Galaxy Next S5570

Old
  (#15)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-08-2009, 20:51

Again, family in Italy can top up for you. They don't need to send you the codes; as long as they know the number they can add credit at any tabacchi, for as little as 3 EUR (if you just want to extend validity). Or buy several small-denomination scratch cards when you are in Italy (note the expiration dates on them), take them with you, and keep them handy until you need them.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#16)
praiano

Default 26-08-2009, 22:57

Oh, great. I didn't know this. So all they need is my number. Even if I have the SIM & phone in the U.S., they can recharge from Italy.

Thanks!