PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
BurBunny (Offline)

Default Setting Up Blackberry on TIM or Wind - 05-06-2009, 02:49

Am traveling to Italy in August and getting a pre-paid card from either TIM or Wind so that I can have a local number for my contacts to call and also so that I can have a reasonably-priced data plan. While my TMo account gives me unlimited email internationally, I do want to have other data at a price less than $15/mb.

However, I'm having trouble getting info on how to set up either of those SIMs for Blackberry. I know my email is tied to my PIN, but are there other settings I'll have to change?

Also, anyone know a Wind store open in Rome on a Saturday? Termini probably okay (I'm actually staying a bit out of town, but should be able to easily get to Termini) or prefer something perhaps around Piazza Navona? I'd rather not go wandering trying to find a store when I'm jet-lagged, so if I don't have one identified in advance, I'll probably just default to TIM at FCO.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-06-2009, 07:41

Here is all the info about the Blackberry option on Wind:
Wind - Privati - BlackBerry® Internet Service
if you need help in translating let me know.
It costs 12€/month but if you buy a new simcard it's free for the first 3 months, so it's really a good solution!

On Saturday all shops are open in Italy, so no problem at all. On Sunday they are almost all closed.
Here is the shop search engine for Wind:
Wind - Privati - - Rivenditori

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
BurBunny (Offline)

Default 05-06-2009, 16:41

Grazie mille, Effendi! That was exactly what I was looking for!

If I am reading this correctly, after I purchase the card from an authorized Wind location, I simply text 4033 to initiate the service? I couldn't tell if I needed to indicate I was going to be using Blackberry when I purchased, but it didn't appear so.

Also wanted to be sure I'm understanding correctly that with this, all my mails will be included. But other data would be covered under whatever plan I purchase with my card?

I'm also presuming I will have to go into my Mobile Network setup and change to Wind. Am hoping that is the only change on the phone itself, and that it will likely be automatic. As will the browser configuration.

Appreciate your assistance.

-Amber

Old
  (#4)
dmao (Offline)

Default 15-06-2009, 18:43

I'm also interested in something similar for when we visit Rome later this year -

I have TMO and an UMA enabledBB8820 with H@H plan. Will use it for emails and calls home.

I also have unlocked iPhone and would like to get Wind or TIM prepaid sim card/account for local calls and surfing internet. What are your recommendations?

Old
  (#5)
BurBunny (Offline)

Default 28-07-2009, 08:10

Sorry to resurect this thread, but thought it made more sense to continue this thread for those looking to do the same thing, and wanting more info. I'm also having difficulty and need some assistance.

I have a Curve 8900, natively on TMo. I purchased a Wind card from Save on Roaming: Ihr Spezialist für Mobiles Internet - italienische Prepaid SIM-Karten - UMTS Italien in Germany. Nice company to work with - very quick shipping, a bit more expensive than if I purchased in Rome, but then I don't have to worry about fiddling with things when I arrive in Italy and won't have easy access to forums for help.

The card is activated, and I am able to text, make and receive calls, and I've enabled the Blackberry service for the card, receiving the proper SMS message that it was activated.

However, it's not pushing out any of my existing POP3 emails to me. I've gone into Options>Settings>Setup Wizard>Email Setup, and the only option I'm given is BES. No sign of BIS anywhere. I have BIS on my TMo, so it's got to be something in the SIM card settings.

Anyone have ideas of what I'm missing here in settings? While I can switch the SIMs back and forth (I will have unlimited international email set up for TMo while I'm gone as a backup), that's a pain and not what I want to do.

Help?

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 28-07-2009, 10:50

I think you have to register here:
BlackBerry Internet Service
to get your BB service with Wind working.

I'm sorry I don't have a BB so I'm no an expert about it. A colleague has it on Vodafone and it has a similar website where to configure the phone.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#7)
BurBunny (Offline)

Default 28-07-2009, 18:32

Grazie, Effendi. That is extremely helpful. It also appears the card data plan may not be the correct one for BIS service as well. But the registration site is definitely part of the whole picture to get this working.

I knew it wasn't just as easy with a BB as popping in a card and going!