PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
bartolo5 (Offline)
Official Member

Default Apple to change the global roaming picture? - 28-10-2010, 01:55

Just came across with this article

Is Apple About to Cut Out the Carriers?: Tech News

It suggests that Apple may come out with the iPhone integrated with some sort of 'upgreadable SIM card', a SIM card that would be able to change to whatever operator Apple wanted on the fly.

This would open interesting possibilities for us global roamers. Imagine Apple selling for example an 'european package' of service where you get data and voice for not too much money. Apple makes agreements with local carriers or MVNOs and every time you visit a new country the iPhone automatically upgrades the SIM card so it behaves like a regular SIM card of the carrier. Not bad.

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 28-10-2010, 03:59

Pehaps Apple could do what Truphone is aspiring to do -- be a multinational MVNO.

Update. Take a look at this 2008 article:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2008/04/1...tent-says-yes/

Last edited by Stu; 28-10-2010 at 04:23..

Old
  (#3)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 28-10-2010, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolo5 View Post
get data and voice for not too much money
From Apple???

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+

Old
  (#4)
weekilter (Offline)
Official Member

Default 29-10-2010, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolo5 View Post
Just came across with this article

Is Apple About to Cut Out the Carriers?: Tech News

It suggests that Apple may come out with the iPhone integrated with some sort of 'upgreadable SIM card', a SIM card that would be able to change to whatever operator Apple wanted on the fly.

This would open interesting possibilities for us global roamers. Imagine Apple selling for example an 'european package' of service where you get data and voice for not too much money. Apple makes agreements with local carriers or MVNOs and every time you visit a new country the iPhone automatically upgrades the SIM card so it behaves like a regular SIM card of the carrier. Not bad.
I see it as another way Apple can be in control rather than the customer. Just like the micro-SIM. The space saved by using a micro-SIM vs. a regular SIM is infinitesimal.

Current SIMs:

T-Mobile US (prepaid)
T-Mobile NL (prepaid)
Fido CA (prepaid)
Orange IL (prepaid)

Old
  (#5)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 31-10-2010, 20:12

This may also be a reaction to people turning off the 3g data capabilities of iphones and ipads when roaming internationally (who likely got burned on data roaming rates). Better to make a small profit off of every data download than make nothing at all.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#6)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-11-2010, 02:00

Soldering a SIM substitute to the mother board could be targeted at blocking use of the phone on unapproved carriers.

Old
  (#7)
meir (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-11-2010, 11:42

Well I guess something similar does exist already. When using Kindle 3G, you have free access to internet in about 100 countries. You can use the browser in Kindle. So I dont see reason, why Apple couldnt make it.

Old
  (#8)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-11-2010, 14:25

I'd be curious how Amazon has pulled this off -- a multi-MVNO relationship?

Old
  (#9)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-11-2010, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meir View Post
Well I guess something similar does exist already. When using Kindle 3G, you have free access to internet in about 100 countries. You can use the browser in Kindle. So I dont see reason, why Apple couldnt make it.
Apple and Amazon have completely different business models and intentions. While 3G connectivity just serves an an expedient for Amazon in order to sell digital content, Apple are focussed on increasing operators' revenues, from which they receive a share. Of course Apple also sell content (i.e. apps, music, videos), but they benefit from higher network revenues, while Amazon don't. So Apple probably have no interest in making data roaming cheaper. Further operators are Apples most important distribution channel, since due to the high price of the iPhone most of them are sold subsidized on contract. If Apple started their own MVNO-product they would compete with their largest customers which is likely to have an impact on sales and as you might now mobile network service is a quite unattractive low-margin business.
So I consider it rather unlikely that Apple might start their own mobile network service, allthough that would fit into their strategy of capturing the whole value chain.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#10)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-11-2010, 15:46

The problem is that most people turn their data off when their iPhone leaves their home country. Even the default roaming settings essentially do that. People will blast through their 50 euro allowance in their first couple of hours and stop using the phone. If Orange FR offered to sell your your O2 UK 200 megs for 20 Euros payable via the App store (while allowing you to keep your UK mobile number and voice calling channel), how would that play out? 02 would lose data roaming, but keep a piece of the buy and people wouldn't be afraid to use their iPhone abroad.

Why is this SIM change being rolled out in Europe first? Yanks don't leave their country as much much because the US is physically as large as the EU. Most of the US borders aren't into populated Reas. US cities near Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Baja California are the exceptions, but more of the border are places like North Dakota.

As I noted earlier, this could also be an attempt to thwart unlockers.