PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
MarkA (Offline)

Arrow Data for iPad - 06-10-2010, 06:41

I am planning on having both a GSM phone and iPad. I have been told the iPad is unlocked and all I need is a microsim. It appears that all the plans include a phone with data and not data on its own. I was planning on purchasing two sims, one for each. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 08-10-2010, 09:44

Which country are you talking about?

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 08-10-2010, 10:08

...the United States of Europe!

Old
  (#4)
mingelli (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-10-2010, 20:56

In Italy all the operators offers microsim for ipad with data only plan, on a pre paid basis. Vodafone has plans pre paid for 15 Euro a month for 500MB a day of data or 2 Euro a day plan. TIM offers similar plans, sligthly more expensive.
In France SFR offers microsim data only for 6 euro a day, not very good price.
I am sure other countries will have similar microsim prepaid with offers specific to Ipad

Old
  (#5)
MarkA (Offline)

Default 09-10-2010, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
Which country are you talking about?
Sorry, Italy. I will have both a GSM phone and the iPad, with NAVMII software for Italy (GPS). It appears I can just go to Vodafone for SIMs for both the phone and the iPad. Any suggests regarding stores in Milan (airport and train station) or Verenna?

And any aviation fans can suggest aviation museums as well. Thanks.

Old
  (#6)
MarkA (Offline)

Default 07-11-2010, 16:56

FYI for those interested in my results. We found a WIND store near the Milan train station and purchased both the standard sim for the GSM phone and a 1G plan for the iPad. The only tricky part about the phone for us non-prepaid folks is recharging the phone. A few questions to our hotel personnel and that was easily resolved. The iPad worked fine in most areas and the device worked fine after the one-day wait (turnon) period. The iPad was very useful and we used an Italian GPS program when we hired a car.... ok it uses the GPS signal and not the Cell but both we handy to have when we traveled, especially when we got lost.

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 07-11-2010, 20:29

Wind is usually a good solution.
To refill just go to any Tabacchi shop and ask for a refill. They will ask your number, the amount of Euros you want to refill and that's all. If they sell you a refill scratch card just dial 4242 and wait for English prompts (or dial 1 twice and then enter the refill code plus #)

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#8)
Grampa (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-11-2010, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
The iPad worked fine in most areas and the device worked fine after the one-day wait (turnon) period.
FWIW, I was recently in Italy and used a TIM card for data. There was no waiting period -- the data worked immediately.

Old
  (#9)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-12-2010, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
FYI for those interested in my results. We found a WIND store near the Milan train station and purchased both the standard sim for the GSM phone and a 1G plan for the iPad. The only tricky part about the phone for us non-prepaid folks is recharging the phone. A few questions to our hotel personnel and that was easily resolved. The iPad worked fine in most areas and the device worked fine after the one-day wait (turnon) period. The iPad was very useful and we used an Italian GPS program when we hired a car.... ok it uses the GPS signal and not the Cell but both we handy to have when we traveled, especially when we got lost.
What is this Italian GPS program? And you used the iPad for the GPS?

Here's some more info I found about iPad data options in Italy:

Want to use my IPAD in Italy - Page 4 - Apple iPad Forum

Of course, nobody mentioned that you can just take any SIM and cut it to fit inside the microSIM slot. There are also cutters which will do that.

Would also apply to iPhone 4 if you can get an unlocked one or jailbreak and unlock it.

Old
  (#10)
jcburns (Offline)

Default iPad "senza limit" with Tim—how to cancel - 04-06-2011, 00:32

We had a VERY successful one month trip in Italy with an iPad2 3G and a Tim microSIM. (We used the 'Internet Senza Limiti per iPad' plan. Only one question for those of you more knowledgable: how do I cancel it so our card won't be chaged for another month (and another, and another)? The iPad isn't a phone, so you can't send or receive SMS messages to TIM on the device (correct me if I'm wrong.) Even registering on the Tim website as a user requires a send and receive of an SMS. So how do I do it?

(Thanks...)