PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
monkeyboy (Offline)
Official Member

Default Report from Morocco: Celtrek: YES / UM+: NO - 11-08-2008, 17:19

Just came back from a 10 day tour of Morocco: Highly recommended.

as far as int'l GSM roaming SIMs go, I tried both Celtrek and UM+, and the upshot is:

Celtrek: had some troubles with incoming calls, but outgoing calls worked VERY WELL. I believe the incoming issues were not really a problem with the service but a configuration issue with my account and could easily be fixed. In any case, outgoing calls were much more important to me, and those worked very well. Coverage in Morocco was excellent, even in the most remote areas. The only aspect that I wasn't totally thrilled with was the options for recharging the account. It is most geared to Internet/web-based recharging, which isn't always very convenient, particularly in a country like Morocco. There are some other recharge options, but they need to provide more flexibility (e.g. for autorecharge, it is always for $100, which is too much IMHO).

UM+: incoming calls *did* work, but outgoing calls were a total bomb. I did not succeed in making a single outgoing call using UM+. Definitely NOT recommended for Morocco.

Old
  (#2)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 11-08-2008, 20:44

UM+ is the only card offering free incoming in Morocco. I would expect that it would have some trouble. UM+ is not a card I would trust to carry alone when abroad!

Old
  (#3)
monkeyboy (Offline)
Official Member

Default 11-08-2008, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion View Post
UM+ is the only card offering free incoming in Morocco. I would expect that it would have some trouble. UM+ is not a card I would trust to carry alone when abroad!
Indeed that is why I tried it (I had hoped to combine it with callback services like CallBackWorld.com or enlinea). And it may be okay for incoming calls, but it was totally useless for making outgoing calls...

Old
  (#4)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-08-2008, 00:19

Actually, UM+ has been having some problems lately. There are a number of posts here regarding that. Besides, I made a few test calls from here last week about 10 in total, in preparation for an upcoming trip that will take me through Europe and Nigeria. Almost all the incoming calls did not ring to the phone. Even though the caller hears a ringing tone. I tried a couple of outgoing, and I did get the callback (did not answer it though). Of course, that does not mean it will work when I try to use it in another country.

It seems like it's not as reliable as the UM +423 number which works flawlessly. Unfortunately, it's very expensive to reach it.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#5)
olev_p (Offline)
Official Member

Default 12-08-2008, 11:29

Just in case
TravelSIM inbound/outbound works in Morocco very well too,
MarocTelecom(IAM) network

Old
  (#6)
whatt (Offline)

Default 05-09-2008, 13:16

Hi,

I am looking leaving for Europe and Nigeria also and wanted to know if UM+ or anyother similar provider works in Nigeria.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Actually, UM+ has been having some problems lately. There are a number of posts here regarding that. Besides, I made a few test calls from here last week about 10 in total, in preparation for an upcoming trip that will take me through Europe and Nigeria. Almost all the incoming calls did not ring to the phone. Even though the caller hears a ringing tone. I tried a couple of outgoing, and I did get the callback (did not answer it though). Of course, that does not mean it will work when I try to use it in another country.

It seems like it's not as reliable as the UM +423 number which works flawlessly. Unfortunately, it's very expensive to reach it.

Old
  (#7)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-09-2008, 15:07

Yes, I have used UM/UM+ and yackie in Nigeria without any problems. Check the respective pages for the rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatt View Post
Hi,

I am looking leaving for Europe and Nigeria also and wanted to know if UM+ or anyother similar provider works in Nigeria.

Thank you.

Old
  (#8)
whatt (Offline)

Default 05-09-2008, 23:37

Bossman, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Two more question: were you charged in Pounds or Niara? How more does it cost for to receive incoming calls in Nigeria.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Yes, I have used UM/UM+ and yackie in Nigeria without any problems. Check the respective pages for the rates.

Old
  (#9)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 06-09-2008, 00:17

I was charged in euros by UM+ and yackie is US dollar. It can never be the local currrency (naira). You are charged whatever is listed on the website for the country you are visiting. So, in the case of Nigeria, UM+ is free to receive calls. Yackie is $0.29 to rceive. I would suggest you check out the rates on their respective websites. They are stated clearly there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatt View Post
Bossman, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Two more question: were you charged in Pounds or Niara? How more does it cost for to receive incoming calls in Nigeria.

Thanks again.