PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default Strange problem with +447 and cheap call providers - 18-03-2009, 08:08

I have a UK o2 number and a number of my callers are reporting a strange bug when they call me. It could be a common problem so I just thought I would check if anyone else here gets this. As far as I know the following problem only happens when I am roaming and for callers from other countries (not the UK) when they use cheap call providers.

Basically, they select a provider for UK mobile and dial my number, then hear a few rings and someone picks up and says "Hello?". My callers realise it is not me and ask to speak to Peter upon which the other guy says: "just a minute" or "hold on" or something to that efect. There is usually some background TV noise (apparantly some economic news channel) and of course they keep on holding but I never appear and eventually they hang up. Of course, I am the only one who ever picks up my mobile phone, so it is all a con to keep people on the line. I have actually tried this calling my own number when I was in Germany once and realised it is all a recording. The gap between the first "hello" and the 2nd statement is the same irrespective of if you say anything!

So is this a con by the cheap telco companies? Some of my callers have reported holding on for up to 5 minutes and at about 15c/min to UK mobiles that is a fair bit of revenue!

Of course I could do a bit more research and find out what call providers they use etc. but I just thought I would check with everyone here first! The problem is especially bad for callers from Germany and the USA. Lately it is getting worse, to the extent that some people have given up on calling me! I am trying to convince them to just use another call provider to call me, but obviously that is out of my control!

Does anyone know what i can do, or has anyone experienced similar problems?