PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
praiano

Default Help! Need an Italian SIM, special conditions... - 21-08-2009, 03:15

I am looking for an italian mobile number that I can keep current and charged up, ideally both from Italy as well as the states. (I am in the U.S. now.)

I am about to print materials for my business, and want to include an Italian mobile number. (I have family in Italy, and may be moving there next year.)

There seems to be so much information out there, I don't know what's what: possibly I won't be able to update some SIM accounts from a US website, some may not have voicemail (those through roamsimple.com). And then there is the ability to keep the number active.

Generally, I wouldn't use the number when I'm here in the states, but it would be good to have it be active so I could check voicemail as needed. And it would be great to be able to give my number to business colleagues in Italy before I travel, and know that the number will work!

The best of all worlds would be where I could transfer the number to a billed account when the time comes.

Any ideas to my best options? I won't be traveling anytime soon, and I need to print materials relatively soon.

Does prepaid GSM still sell SIMS?

Thank you,
M

Old
  (#2)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 21-08-2009, 09:53

Vodafone roams in the US (all the major prepaid offers in Italy do), and can be topped up once a year for 5 euros using PayPal (foreign accounts work); you can monitor your account online. They'd be glad to transfer your number to a contract later if that's what you want.

You'll probably need one of your family members there to buy the SIM for you, as this will require registration at the POS with a (real or fake) codice fiscale. No big deal, you can change the account details online.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#3)
praiano

Default 21-08-2009, 18:09

thanks for the information. looks like vodafone is the best solution.

i wouldn't get my real codice fiscale until i am living there, i assume. so a family members would be ok for now, right? just want to make sure that it wouldn't confuse things down the road to have different codice fiscale's tied to my name: one for the phone purchase, and then a legit one. i know this is used as your taxpayer id, for state health ins, purchasing a home, etc. and am not sure of all the implications.

m

Old
  (#4)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 22-08-2009, 12:26

We've discussed this in several places before, but as the formula for the CF is no secret, the one you generate online will almost certainly be identical to the real one you get at an Italian tax office (mine wasn't; they included my middle name in calculating it!). You won't get in any trouble using a "fake" one.

BTW, if you've got family in Italy, you could always get them to top up any prepaid SIM once a year for you, if you needed them to.

Another thing - Almost no one in Italy has a contract; it's one of the most prepaid-heavy markets there is (last time I checked, the share of contracts was 8%).

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#5)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-08-2009, 19:21

Generate your codice fiscale here:
Comuni d'Italia - Servizi al Cittadino e alle Pubbliche Amministrazioni

The link I found on SparRuf – mit dem Handy billig ins Ausland telefonieren

Old
  (#6)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-08-2009, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
Another thing - Almost no one in Italy has a contract; it's one of the most prepaid-heavy markets there is (last time I checked, the share of contracts was 8%).
like Finland. It's more practical a prepaid card than contract (above all 'cause you haven't to pay 5,16 euro each month )

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)
My best sim?--> Wind +39-328
My phones: Samsung Galaxy Next S5570

Old
  (#7)
praiano

Default 23-08-2009, 19:27

Thanks for the good information! To get into specifics, would someone in my family need to activate the SIM within the network in Italy, or would I be able to do that with a fresh card here in the states?

Thanks again.

Old
  (#8)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-08-2009, 20:18

Yes, you can buy the card here---> http://www.shop.vodafone.it/190/tril...ecPage=Top+OLS

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)
My best sim?--> Wind +39-328
My phones: Samsung Galaxy Next S5570

Old
  (#9)
praiano

Default 23-08-2009, 21:01

hmmm...the above link doesn't seem to work from the states:
Vodafone

Old
  (#10)
praiano

Default 23-08-2009, 21:02

wait...now it seems to be working. so can i purchase these from the U.S.? i assume not.

i'll forward this link to my family, and have them purchase...if they have a credit card.