PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
Robins (Offline)

Default Dual sims for travel - 24-02-2013, 23:03

Hi all,
Newbie here appreciate the info so far. Just purchased a blu dual sim phone for travel from the US to South America Europe and Japan.

Based on what I've read here, will load it with a piraña card for the benefit of everyone to call us while we travel and then will also load it with some local cards as we go and rely on skype for most calling. Will be on the road for three months total. If the whole thing doesn't work in Japan, I guess that will,have to be ok.

Other thoughts?

Old
  (#12)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-02-2013, 23:31

Which phone model have you bought exactly? For Japan you will need one that supports at least UMTS2100 as they don't have any 2G networks anymore.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#13)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-02-2013, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robins View Post
Hi all,
Newbie here appreciate the info so far. Just purchased a blu dual sim phone for travel from the US to South America Europe and Japan.

Based on what I've read here, will load it with a piraña card for the benefit of everyone to call us while we travel and then will also load it with some local cards as we go and rely on skype for most calling. Will be on the road for three months total. If the whole thing doesn't work in Japan, I guess that will,have to be ok.

Other thoughts?
Who is your local carrier in the U.S.? If you are on T-Mobile you would have free wifi calling built-in if you have an Android or BBerry. Free calling back to U.S. wherever you have wifi.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#14)
Robins (Offline)

Default Update with more info - 25-02-2013, 03:41

Hi all,
Thanks for the input: we got a Blu samba junior plus. As far as tmobile goes, we use prepaid, and according to them, there's no international available for prepaid, we also found that the sim did not work in Mexico.

As far as Japan goes, if the phone doesn't work there, it's only 14 days. I also did not think we could get a phone that worked in all places for less than forty bucks.

Thank you again, appreciate it

Robin

Old
  (#15)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-02-2013, 03:53

That phone won't work in Japan at all. The cheapest phone sold in the US and being compatible with Japanese networks that I could find on the quick is the Nokia C2-01 for a price of $80.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#16)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-02-2013, 04:56

Actually, tmobile prepaid does have some international roaming, at very expensive rates of course. My sim worked in Mexico as well.

I am currently in Nigeria, using the Piranha sim and my local Nigerian sim in a Samsung 6102B (with the 2100 3G)Galaxy Y duos dual sim phone. In my experience, it seems like the Piranha sim is doing a lot of checking or connecting and disconnecting from the network. And that uses the battery a lot. Besides that, it works fine.

Quote:
Hi all,
As far as tmobile goes, we use prepaid, and according to them, there's no international available for prepaid, we also found that the sim did not work in Mexico.

Robin

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#17)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-02-2013, 06:26

Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks for the input: we got a Blu samba junior plus. As far as tmobile goes, we use prepaid, and according to them, there's no international available for prepaid, we also found that the sim did not work in Mexico.

As far as Japan goes, if the phone doesn't work there, it's only 14 days. I also did not think we could get a phone that worked in all places for less than forty bucks.

Thank you again, appreciate it

Robin
Prepaid users on TM have had the ability to roam intl. for a while. You would NOT want to do that as rates in Europe are $1/min and in So. America much more than double that. You would need to call CS at TM to activate that. To make use of their wifi calling feature you would need an Android or BBerry.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#18)
EDF30 (Offline)

Default 28-03-2013, 21:23

Thanks for all the help from the experts!

I think I will try the Piranha sim, I can have it shipped to my house before my trip, test it out and learn how it works.

I checked the providers for the various countries I will visit. Hopefully I will have good coverage on my journey. I love the internet and forums like this one, as you can find out just about anything from experts that have been there and done that.

Netherlands

KPN
TMobile
Vodafone

Germany

Eplus
Tmobile
Vodafone

Austria

Mobilkom
Orange
Tmobile

Italy

Tim

France

Bougues
Orange
SFR

Is TIM a good nationwide coverage network for Italy? I will spend a week of the trip going to Venice, Lake Como, and Italian Riviera.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old
  (#19)
ranerio (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-04-2013, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF30 View Post
Thanks for all the help from the experts!

I think I will try the Piranha sim, I can have it shipped to my house before my trip, test it out and learn how it works.

I checked the providers for the various countries I will visit. Hopefully I will have good coverage on my journey. I love the internet and forums like this one, as you can find out just about anything from experts that have been there and done that.

Netherlands

KPN
TMobile
Vodafone

Germany

Eplus
Tmobile
Vodafone

Austria

Mobilkom
Orange
Tmobile

Italy

Tim

France

Bougues
Orange
SFR

Is TIM a good nationwide coverage network for Italy? I will spend a week of the trip going to Venice, Lake Como, and Italian Riviera.

Thanks again for all the help!
Yes Mr, TIM has got very good coverage in Italy. Wind offers a better value plan if you want to use a lot of data, but it takes like 24-hours to activate.