PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 03-09-2006, 19:22

Hi,

I am new at this Global SIM thing, as I had, well, free international roaming for 6 years, but, that finally ended.

I have done a lot of research, went through all the rebadges, and tried to be fair on the country mix vs price, as I travel a lot, all over. I have found these 4 SIMS to be the best of the rebadge of the same companies, etc ... the thing is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz on this forum on these SIMs, and I am wondering if I'm missing something, or if anyone has some opinions.

By the way, as far as forwarding a US phone to any of these, I have found that Skype seems to offer the best possibilities (quick forwarding [as opposed to my former service Kall8], and you can forward to multiple international numbers at once)

1) E-Kit - http://www.ekit.com/ekit/MobilePurch...ice_ckregional

I know this is a rebage of one of the Manx SIMs, but, it seems that it has the nicest mix of price vs coverage. I actually got this one, and wil start trying it this month. I see very little mention here, yet, the customer service is very good, and it is pretty straight forward. The only thing it lacks is auto recharge. Any opinions?

2) Maxsim - http://www.maxsim.co.uk

Also, a good mix of price vs roaming. This seems to be a rebadge of maybe the biggest Manx SIM company? And many people tlak about the other badges of this brand, but, this seems to be the best pricewaise, and organization-wise. This one seems to roam in a couple more countries (but at a higher cost) than E-Kit, and it still is a Manx number

3) Range Roamer - http://www.rangeroamer.com

No one has mentioned it here. It is an Estonia SIM, and it seems to have similar rates and coverage to UM, but, to call Estonia is a heck of a lot cheaper than Lichtenstein. Any thoughts?

4) Talafone -- http://www.49centscall.com/

This is mentioned in the Wiki, but, although I see it as another rebadge of a different Manx number than the above 2, it seems very straightforward pricewise, and less complicated than the other of it's similar badge.

Also, in addition to the SIMS, I have found the best callback rates using these SIMs for Manx (UK cell), Estonia or other Euro destinations seem to come from Enlinea callback, in particular their Papaya service http://www.enlinea.com . All tolled, you do a complete callback connection from one of the Manx SIMs, to the US, for 24c a minute, billed 6 secs after first minute. Of course it is much easier if you have a second normal GSM phone to do the trigger. Anyone know anything better?

I would appreciate any bad things anyone knows of these SIMs, and why they aren't the favorite of all here ...

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-09-2006, 19:39

RangeRoamer is another Travelsim rebrand. Estonian prefix means Travelsim.

The othe 3 are Manx based offers. Surely Talafone looks nice, and we knew it. The other 2 does look the usual Manx offers, nothing new honestly, from a quick look.

About coverage, I suppose all Manx offers should roam in the same countries with the same operators. The problem with these many brands is that they all write different coverage lists, but I think the only reliable one is the one you can find on Manx Telecom site...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 03-09-2006, 19:46

Thanks for the feedback, Effendi.

You would think that the Manx numbers would all roam the same place. Some say yes to Japan, some say no. I'll be in Japan in October. I will see if E-kit roams there, although they say no in CS.

No doubt, though, that, for me, the E-Kit has better pricing than MaxSim, even though they are both Manx.

I guess, I really want to know, is there a definitive answer for the best priced rebadge brand, of each of the half dozen or so rebadges that these all are ?

Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-09-2006, 20:25

I would not use Talafone after libellous remarks against a rival were posted by someone supporting the company on more than one forum.

The tariff is in the hands of the reseller, so it is worth looking around. Some have increased rates recently, and it has been said by one that the others will follow.

On callback, Voipfone charges 9.6p (17c) per minute. Their portal number uses caller ID though, which the SIMs do not send, so use sms or wap/gprs instead.

Old
  (#5)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 03-09-2006, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I would not use Talafone after libellous remarks against a rival were posted by someone supporting the company on more than one forum.

The tariff is in the hands of the reseller, so it is worth looking around. Some have increased rates recently, and it has been said by one that the others will follow.

On callback, Voipfone charges 9.6p (17c) per minute. Their portal number uses caller ID though, which the SIMs do not send, so use sms or wap/gprs instead.
Using sms with voipfone would make the total cost of the call higher though. So I would not recommend it! Its better if you use a dedicated DID (like the ones given by enlinea or CBW)

Old
  (#6)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-09-2006, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion
Using sms with voipfone would make the total cost of the call higher though. So I would not recommend it! Its better if you use a dedicated DID (like the onjes given by enlinea or CBW)
I'm thinking that other people than the OP may read this, including guests.

Some of them may have cheap or inclusive text messages or wap/gprs abroad on another SIM, like a local one or my O2 UK contract which could trigger hundreds of calls a year for free.

Old
  (#7)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 03-09-2006, 21:33

I think that the voipfone sms trigger needs to be done via the roaming sim.. Not completely sure about that...

Old
  (#8)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 03-09-2006, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi
The othe 3 are Manx based offers. Surely Talafone looks nice, and we knew it. The other 2 does look the usual Manx offers, nothing new honestly, from a quick look.
In fact, ekit provides two kinds of Manx sims
Global Premium:
http://www.ekit.com/ekit/MobilePurch...rvice_ckglobal
and International:
http://www.ekit.com/ekit/MobilePurch...ice_ckregional

Please note new prices valid since 1st Oct for the two above plans :P

Moreover, both SIMs are not so global from the point of view of a potential customer , Ekit SIMs are shipped only to USA, Canada, Australia and 12 EU countries.
Maxsim SIMs are slightly better in that aspect - they are shipped to the entire EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, many countries in America, some in Asia, South Africa, Australia and N. Zealand.
Please don't tell me that most potential customers live in the countries mentioned above - for me "global" means also "global shipping destinations"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi
About coverage, I suppose all Manx offers should roam in the same countries with the same operators. The problem with these many brands is that they all write different coverage lists, but I think the only reliable one is the one you can find on Manx Telecom site...
Yes, all the "Manx" SIMs should roam in exactly the same countries, but it doesn't have to mean that this list is identical with the roaming list of Manx Telecom. In particular, soes the callback used by those SIMs work in 3G networks (Japan!)?

Old
  (#9)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-09-2006, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion
I think that the voipfone sms trigger needs to be done via the roaming sim.. Not completely sure about that...
It does, so sometimes I use the O2 SIM to start the call, pre-diverted to the IoM one. I and others have asked in the Voipfone forum whether they will consider specifying two numbers to be connected, which they may consider if there is demand. An sms to Mywebcalls from a pre-registered phone can specify any two numbers, including both landlines.

Old
  (#10)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 03-09-2006, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Well, I had thought Voiptalk was 11p per minute, plus the 2p per minute to US, for example, plus, some of the Manx reseller SMS charges are going up shortly, some to 50c. So, overall, makes the Enlinea callback an more consistant option. In addition, getting an SMS callback account at Voiptalk took 4 calls, and a lot of time. They don't have it set up very easily, especially if you have a US credit card. You first have to join their silver package, then, apply for the callback, and, I still haven't been provisioned correctly. A lot of work

Please don't tell me that most potential customers live in the countries mentioned above - for me "global" means also "global shipping destinations" smile.gif

Point well taken, I am a self centered American , and to me "Global" means "available for me, myself, and I"