PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
MustBNuts (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 31-03-2010, 07:29

quick update, depending on where I am in Paris, ,the wapsfr is working perfectly and with a fast connection. I think the main problem I had in the beginning with wapsfr was my location (latin quarter, 5th arrond.) surrounded by a lot of buildings.

Moving over to the 6th, my speed was fantastic.

MBN

Old
  (#22)
musigny (Offline)

Default 31-03-2010, 17:07

MBN - i've been following this thread closely and thanks for the constant updates. i'm looking to do the exact same thing in a few weeks with my unlocked 3gs.

what is wapsfr?

and where did you find the sim card? would any sfr or virgin store have it? any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Old
  (#23)
MustBNuts (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 01-04-2010, 19:58

musigny, here's the full poop! Go to an SFR store and ask for an iPhone SIM card...in comes in several flavors: 1 day for 3euro up to 20 days for 24euro and this top one includes unlimited internet and 10euro "communication".

You will have to buy the SIM card first, then add the iPhone package. In all I spent approx 40-something euro for the package. Then to recharge, you can use a Tabac and ask for a card. It has a code you scratch to see, then follow the directions on the back.

Easy-peasy!

Old
  (#24)
musigny (Offline)

Default 01-04-2010, 20:04

thanks!

so, it's working now for you?? as expected?

Old
  (#25)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 01-04-2010, 22:41

Any news on the original topic of this thread?

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#26)
MustBNuts (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 02-04-2010, 07:16

musigny, I find the connection a bit flaky....but it has served its purpose.

inquisitor...I'm sure if anyone had anything relevant to say on the original thread topic, they would have added it by now. =)

MBN

Old
  (#27)
musigny (Offline)

Default 02-04-2010, 14:55

thanks MBN -- really appreciate the updates and information. i'll be there soon, so it's worth doing.

wondering if i can buy a SIM here in the states and take it with me?

Old
  (#28)
bukzin (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 02-04-2010, 15:52

[QUOTE=MustBNuts;31753]musigny, here's the full poop! Go to an SFR store and ask for an iPhone SIM card...in comes in several flavors: 1 day for 3euro up to 20 days for 24euro and this top one includes unlimited internet and 10euro "communication".

You will have to buy the SIM card first, then add the iPhone package. In all I spent approx 40-something euro for the package. Then to recharge, you can use a Tabac and ask for a card. It has a code you scratch to see, then follow the directions on the back.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Does the iphone need to be un-locked and/or jailbroken
to get that French SIM card to deliver data?

Old
  (#29)
MustBNuts (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 02-04-2010, 17:30

bukzin, yup, you need to jailbreak and unlock. Musigny, yes you can buy in the US but I found them to be way more expensive with no better a guarantee that they would work (just my opinion)

UPDATE: Persistence pays off! I found websfr did not work but wapsfr did. HOWEVER, it seemed to be eating up my phone call credits - which it shouldn't have been touching. I went back to the store I bought it from and explained the websfr vs. wapsfr, they got on the phone with the sfr folks and opened up my acct to work WITHOUT charge utilizing the wapsfr setting.

I had gone in and explained that it was eating my credits and I thought it was because the wapsfr may be a different package/program...that was, in fact, exactlly what was going on.

So if it doesn't work, be persistent, try everything, and go back to your store and talk to them.

Oh, one more thing...the store I bought from had a young lady who spoke english...all be it very broken english, but between the two of us, we managed to work it out and she made at least three or four calls to get me straightened out. If you're in Paris you may want to show up at the store on 15 Rue Soufflot in the 5th arrondisement. I am female (so this isn't a sexist comment) but there have always been the same two girls there...if you go there, look for the slimmer, cuter one of the two, she was the one who went out of her way to help and got me up and running...FANTASTIQUE!

oh, and if I haven't mentioned it before, you need to have "communication" credit on your card in order for your internet and wifi to even work. If you get too low, you will find that even though you have "unlimited" internet and wifi should be a non-issue, they will all of a sudden stop working. That is a clue that you are getting too low and need to get to a tabac and buy a recharge.

Bonne chance to all....I don't even really need the phone part, and having the interenet instantly available has been fantastic....(and the GPS is a no-brainer, must-have).

MBN

Last edited by MustBNuts; 02-04-2010 at 17:31.. Reason: additions

Old
  (#30)
jonnybleu (Offline)

Default Tethering? - 03-04-2010, 05:41

My wife is going to be in France for about a month this July. I'd love to send her with an iPhone so she can get internet access as where she's staying out in Bretagne doesn't have any internet connection.

Using the phone itself for email, chat, and skype would be ok but would be great if the internet tethering hack for unlocked phones would work. Anyone tried? Also, hows the whole APN srfwap/other name situation going? What currently works? Thinking about doing the 24 euro unlimited connection with 10 euro talk time. However if the internet starts depleting from the call credit she won't be near a store to get that resolved...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jonathan