PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
wisniak (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 04-06-2011, 18:33

Yes, I'll be coming from Israel.

The info I sent you is the most updated, straight from the cell providers' web sites.

Old
  (#12)
cameronjpu (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 06-06-2011, 23:41

Any update on your thoughts? I'm moving towards trying out the Carrefour 100mb per day for 1e plan, since all of our hotels offer free wifi. 11 days for 11e will be better than 30e. 100mb is an OK amount if it's only for web and email during the day, with higher volume transfers requiring wifi. I thought it was 250 and was thinking it would be plenty, 100 is not so great but maybe enough. We'll see...

Old
  (#13)
123456 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-06-2011, 07:16

Last September i used Carrefour Movil myself on the 1 euro a day tariff. Which worked great for me on my laptop in and around Figueres and the Costa Brava. Maybe there is also some useful information in these threads.

Old
  (#14)
wisniak (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-06-2011, 10:06

cameronjpu,

I prefer not to rely on Wifi.
Are you certain you'll have free wifi, even in your room? Many times the free WIFI is available only in the lobby etc. Other times you have to ask for some sort of voucher containing access codes that are valid only for a certain period of time, pretty annoying.

There's a Carrefour a short distance from the Barcelona Airport, I think we'll stop there to fill up with water bottles etc, and I'll purchase the SIM as well. But they haven't returned to me yet on SIM availability in that specific store.

Old
  (#15)
cameronjpu (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-06-2011, 15:47

From what I've read, all but one has wifi that covers the whole hotel, and the last has wifi only in the lobby and 1st floor rooms. The hope would be that 100mb per day would allow me to use 3G freely and without limit when out and about, and rely on wifi in the hotel. If I'm walking around trying to conserve, that's no good. Certainly you could try the 100mb plan for the first day and then top up to the 30e plan if that didn't work well.

My typical usage in the states is about 750 MB per month, but of course that's not the same type of usage as it is when traveling. Plus this iPhone will be performing MyWi functions for another phone and for an iPad. I'm torn. It's a long way to travel just to try to save 20e. But then 20e is 20e

The Carrefour on Las Ramblas seems to not be of the type that sells the SIM cards. Grrr.

Edit: scratch that, it does seem to be that type: http://translate.google.com/translat...6prmd%3Divnscm

Services at this location include Carrefour telecom. I couldn't find it using Google street view but it must be there somewhere....

Last edited by cameronjpu; 07-06-2011 at 16:32..

Old
  (#16)
wisniak (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-06-2011, 17:02

Try looking for "La Rambla de los estudios" or "La Rambla dels Estudis".
and look here:
Carrefour Express, La Rambla 113, Barcelona. Shops - Time Out Barcelona

Old
  (#17)
cameronjpu (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-06-2011, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisniak View Post
Try looking for "La Rambla de los estudios" or "La Rambla dels Estudis".
and look here:
Carrefour Express, La Rambla 113, Barcelona. Shops - Time Out Barcelona
I searched Google street view for the address - it takes me there, but I see no sign. Not that that would make any difference, to see it from the outside. The Carrefour website says that location, which is only 2 blocks from my hotel, does have the telecom department, so I'm all good.

Old
  (#18)
123456 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-06-2011, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjpu View Post
I searched Google street view for the address - it takes me there, but I see no sign.
Well, last September it really was there, i saw it myself. In Streetview the shop and the sign can be found here.

Old
  (#19)
wisniak (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 08-06-2011, 07:39

I need to find a Carrefour, Yoigo or Simyo store that is along my route, as we leave from the airport along the highways to our 1st day destinations.

Seems there are no such locations for these 3 providers (most of the stores are located inside tows/villages and I don't want to deviate too much from our route.

Initially I thought that the Carrefour at the Prat would have a telecom service, but they have not answered my emails yet. This would be the most convenient location for me, as we could stop there right at the start of the trip to buy water etc as well as the SIM card.

The problem is buying the card and activating it, afterwards you can buy the refills in many locations.

Old
  (#20)
123456 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 08-06-2011, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisniak View Post
I need to find a Carrefour, Yoigo or Simyo store that is along my route, as we leave from the airport along the highways to our 1st day destinations.
Seems there are no such locations for these 3 providers (most of the stores are located inside tows/villages and I don't want to deviate too much from our route.
I think there are. Have a look here for all the Carrefour locations in Catalunya.

Tags
carrefour movil