PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#121)
PSIM (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 28-12-2012, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by depee View Post
During my trip to South Korea and the Piranha SIM worked good. The first time the SIM needs to register in a new network takes really long. Round about 30 minutes in South Korea. Back in Germany the SIM needed round about 12 hours to register in a network. During this time I have tried to register with different mobiles.

Does anybody knows what the reason for this is?

The Callback worked really good and the voice quality was also high.

Sometimes I was not direct reachable over the US number. The caller had to try 3 or 4 times to reach me.

The VOIP application worked for outgoing calls good with also a good voice quality. For incoming calls was the voice quality was really bad and I removed the VOIP application from my phone.

SMS are only working outgoing. I' am not getting any incoming SMS. Only the SMS from the Piranha support are working.

The prices are really good and I hope Pirnaha will be longer in business.
Hi we are glad the Piranha Sim worked well in South Korea for you, unfortunately the incoming VoIP problem is dependent on the routes used by the calling party, we only use premium routing on VoIP and Voice calls which you described as good quality when calling out (thank you). SMS, we have tested your existing number and given you a new number to test SMS, we have sent you test texts from 4 different operators/networks, all of which have been received on your original and test number, please let us know where the texts you are talking about were sent from and the result i.e were you charged etc. Finding network, this is very unusual and only normally happens when a handset is left on flight mode, once we replied your support ticket, it was logged that your handset registered shortly thereafter.

PSIM.

P.S We expect to be around for sometime and thank you again for using our service.

Last edited by PSIM; 28-12-2012 at 12:41..

Old
  (#122)
gkeeper (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 31-12-2012, 16:06

Just pulled this off the Piranha forum:

Dear Customers, from the 31-12-2012, Piranha Mobile reduces the costs of Call-Off-Load and Call-Forwarding by approximately 15%-20%.
More price reductions, “COMING SOON” in 2013. Happy New Year from the Piranha Mobile Admin team.

If they have reduced prices today, i wonder what they are planing for 2013?.
Happy New Year to you all.

Old
  (#123)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 01-01-2013, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
what is actually the use of these very tiny mobile operators in the US that cover one or two corn fields? Is that more like a network for closed communication (like a petrol company or sth like that) or do they really seriously getting customers?
Built to be sold, a rich man's toy, built for roaming revenue in areas not covered by major companies. In the case of Telna, it appears to be primarily to claim "GSM carrier" status for their international roaming operation.

Old
  (#124)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 01-01-2013, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Notice that Verizon Wireless holds a number of GSM licenses in the US even though they use the competing CDMA technology. In small towns where they have licenses, they will often through up "roamer nets" which are GSM networks solely designed to get roaming revenues from GSM visitors who travel through or visit these towns.
n.b. There are really no "GSM licenses", just RF licenses. Verizon got into the GSM business when the bought Western Wireless (or when they bought Alltel, who had bought Western Wireless) a GSM-850 carrier. Since they had the network up and running, they kept it operating for the roaming revenue. This was a good thing for ATT & T-Mobile customers, who in many places would have no service otherwise.

Old
  (#125)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 03-01-2013, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
Built to be sold, a rich man's toy, built for roaming revenue in areas not covered by major companies. In the case of Telna, it appears to be primarily to claim "GSM carrier" status for their international roaming operation.
i guessed so... We have a customer here in germany who has one (1) GSM tower in antarctica on a research station. So he is a registered carrier and gets good conditions on SMS and data services to sell his telematics products here in germany

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#126)
squawk1200 (Offline)
Official Member

Default Piranha Mobile Data pricing - 07-01-2013, 19:57

Noticed a few folks posting here on how good the Pirhana data prices are. Maybe it's the engineer in me, but can anyone confirm that? I see on their web site that they show they charge by the Mb. In my world, that is mega-bit. Other carriers usually charge by the MB (Mega-byte).. If they are charging by Mb you would have to mutiply thier rate by 8 to convert it to MB... I know it's a trivial issue to question if a letter is capital or lower case, but when it means a factor of 8, that is a BIG price difference...

Anyone know the real story?

Old
  (#127)
PSIM (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-01-2013, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk1200 View Post
Noticed a few folks posting here on how good the Pirhana data prices are. Maybe it's the engineer in me, but can anyone confirm that? I see on their web site that they show they charge by the Mb. In my world, that is mega-bit. Other carriers usually charge by the MB (Mega-byte).. If they are charging by Mb you would have to mutiply thier rate by 8 to convert it to MB... I know it's a trivial issue to question if a letter is capital or lower case, but when it means a factor of 8, that is a BIG price difference...

Anyone know the real story?
You are quite right it is a typo it should read MB. Thank you for pointing this out.

Old
  (#128)
gkeeper (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-01-2013, 21:00

Dear o dear seen some points on this forum but the last comment takes the buiscuit Mb over MB every body else seems to understand, prehaps you need a hobby.

Old
  (#129)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 08-01-2013, 02:47

I am a lawyer and wouldn't have thought about that! I have a client however who has a draft website going live and is paying employees and outside beta testers (small group) a bounty for errors, gaps, and omissions they find on the website. Despite serious proofing, it is interesting what they are finding.

Old
  (#130)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Haven't used an int'l SIM in 2 or 3 years - 10-01-2013, 15:59

Will be in China for 3 weeks as a tourist in April. For the past couple years I have found using T-Mobile's (U.S.) UMA wifi calling to be quite adequate since wifi was quite prevalent wherever we went overseas the past few years
This time I thought I'd look into an int'l SIM. Piranha seems to be the only provider to provide reasonable rates. Many charge over $1/min. Piranha charges 32 cents/min. for outgoing to U.S. and 19 cents/min. incoming. Question, has anyone here used them in China? The fact they are so much cheaper makes me wonder if I am missing something. The reviews, here, seem quite good. They make use of both carriers in China.
I read a review of China's own prepaids. Excellent and detailed, posting on the "Asia" forum here. Sounds almost impossible for a foreign traveler to make real use of it.

Any China travelers here? Is wifi easily found? Anyone use Piranha or another SIM there?

Thanks.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Tags
piranha voip