PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-08-2012, 21:08

Italian SIMs last longer than most European SIMs, mainly because nearly nobody has a subscription except professionals, etc. (long story). So the prepaid market is the main mobile market, while in most European countries the main market is made of subscriptions.

Old
  (#12)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-08-2012, 21:38

OK, so arrived and it seems to work fine. Good coverage more or less with SFR in a couple of the places I tried it. So as long as there's no secret cap or it gets throttled unexpectedly, this isn't a bad deal.

However, I forgot to pack the charge cable for my Huawei E585!

It looks to be a micro USB cable. Any ideas who might carry it in Cannes or Nice or one of the cities along the coast?

Maybe a FNAC in one of the cities? Or did a mobile operator in France sell the Huawei E585 like other operators in other countries did?

Old
  (#13)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 28-08-2012, 13:48

Any phone or electronics store should have those cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
However, I forgot to pack the charge cable for my Huawei E585!

It looks to be a micro USB cable. Any ideas who might carry it in Cannes or Nice or one of the cities along the coast?

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#14)
jstern (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 17-10-2012, 17:21

wco81 -

Can you update us on the cards? Did they work as intended during your stay? This seems like the best bet for me.

Old
  (#15)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-10-2012, 01:05

Yes it worked fine, though the hotel in Cannes that I stayed, it was hard to get good reception. On the same street, the reception was decent but in the building itself, which is behind walls to the street, it didn't work that well except once or twice and I think I measured around 2 Mbps down.

But I was on an hour train ride and for most of that ride, it worked well, going along small coastal towns between Cannes and Monaco.

Obviously didn't come close to testing the bandwidth limits because of the poor reception at the hotel, which also had really show Wifi. I would have used it at the hotel more if I could.

I'd be willing to get it again if I'm going to France, because SFR is suppose to be a major carrier. I would guess the reception would be better in bigger cities. Hopefully some other options come along in France.

Old
  (#16)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 23-10-2012, 20:59

Another update from France - the kit is available at local SFR stores as well for EUR9.95 - I got a "KIT PRET A SURFER Apple iPad", put the SIM card into a Huawei wifi puck and got three full days of HSPUA data.

The average download rates were good, in the 3-4Mbit per second range. Uploads were quite slow, but what can you expect for less than EUR3.32/day?!

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#17)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-10-2012, 21:52

Was it a hassle to get? Like did it take time to activate or did it work right away?

Some SFR shops have some waiting, where you have to take a number.

Is it really unlimited?

Hmm, found this and it looks like there are limits:

KIT PRÊT À SURFER IPAD - La Carte - SFR

Old
  (#18)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 23-10-2012, 22:05

No hassle whatsoever. I went into the store, got a ticket from the machine, had to wait no more than ten minutes before an agent became available.

Can't say for sure if there's a delay in activation. I got the SIM card around lunch time and only got to use it in the evening when I got back to my hotel room.

I also have no clue whether it is 'truly unlimited'. My usage was about 500MB the first day, 2.5GB the second one and about 1GB the third (kids and youtube - duh). No warning texts were received nor did we notice any slowdown during this time.

I'm not sure if this is common practice, but the shop registered my details with SFR thus eliminating the need to mail out the registration form.

Word of warning: make sure you have a micro to mini SIM adapter as they only had iPad packs available for sale.

VladS
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow

Old
  (#19)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-10-2012, 22:14

Hmm, that's interesting. Holidayphone.com sent me full-sized SFR SIMs, not mini or micro.

If this is a kit for iPad, I guess it would be a micro. And now, Apple is starting to use nano-SIMs so that may be what they stock next.

Those won't be so easy to use in Mifis, which still take standard SIMs.

Old
  (#20)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 06-01-2013, 10:21

An update on the SFR data SIM.

The new SIM cards come with a 15day 200MB data pack preactivated and a top-up voucher for 72 hour unlimited access. The voucher can only be loaded by calling a 0811 premium rate number from another phone.

Other than that, performance is great.

VladS