PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#51)
flychr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 30-09-2011, 20:29

hi
i think i will try this next time i come to fr!!

Quote:
The credit expires within a month so don't buy it too early before travel.
is there a away to keep the sim /data plan working for a longer time?
thanks Scirocco for share this with us!!
Chr

Old
  (#52)
scirocco (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-10-2011, 12:27

The credit expiry time is related to how much credit you buy. 15 euros will expire within one month. If you want two months you have to buy 25 euros or more. The time is calculated from the "last recharge" time, so if you top the card up when in France, the clock is reset to zero at that point.

The Ebay seller that I mentioned does now sell the Mobicarte in SIM and micro-SIM form with 25 and 35 euros credit as well as the 15 euro version.

Old
  (#53)
woody1 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 11-10-2011, 21:29

I'm in France now and I bought an Orange Mobicarte SIM today. As usual, the guy who sold it to me didn't really know very much about the options, etc. I loaded up the phone with 20 Euro credit. When I tried to activate the Internet Max Option on the phone using the menu, I got a message saying that I was not properly identified and needed to go back to the point of sale to get my documents verified.

I did go back and the Orange rep did put in the information that he thought was required. I'm still getting the same error message several hours later and I'm unable to sign up for Internet Max. Is this the issue with having to wait 48 hours, or is this another problem? I thought that the 48 hour thing kicked in after you signed up for Internet Max, not before.

Can somebody clarify this for me?

Old
  (#54)
scirocco (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 11-10-2011, 22:35

I don't know whether there is a delay between the entry of your details and the "system" allowing you to access the Internet Max option, or whether the local sales guy just got entering your details wrong.

Whatever, this is another reason to go the pre-paid, pre-activated Ebay purchase route that I outlined. You avoid all the hassle, delay and uncertainty that woody1 is experiencing (not to mention the multiple trips back to the store). I'm sure most people have better things to do with limited time when visiting France.

Old
  (#55)
gregor (Offline)

Default 11-10-2011, 23:04

hey woody,
i dont know about your identification problem.
just wanted to let you know that i activated the internet max option via internet (activating via phone didnt work for me).

Portail Orange : Actu, Sport, Assistance Internet, Web Mail Orange
-->identifiez-vous

then you have to option to enter your phone number and the password for the online account will be sent you via short message. you receive a "mot de pass" and you are able to log in

when you are logged in:
--> espace client
--> mes option / bon plans
--> Gérer mes options
--> Souscrire une nouvelle option
-->mes bon plans

then you can "Souscrire" to the internet max option (9 euros)

thats how it worked for me. cheers

Old
  (#56)
gregor (Offline)

Default 11-10-2011, 23:08

woody, why dont you try the online sing.up. scirocco wrote a nice how-to earlier in this thread

Old
  (#57)
woody1 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 12-10-2011, 18:03

Update. I did try to set up my account on the internet last night, but I never received the SMS with the password. This morning, I tried again from the phone and this time, I was able to sign up for Internet Max. The guy at the Orange store told me that there would be a delay before my identity was confirmed, but he didn't know how long.

I agree that the best approach is to buy the SIM and set everything up before you leave home, but I didn't have time to receive the SIM card this time. Now, I have to wait 48 hours from this morning before my Internet is working, but at least it looks like everything is properly set up now.

Old
  (#58)
woody1 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-10-2011, 21:46

OK, another update. I successfully subscribed to Internet Max and, after the 48 hour wait, it has been working fine. I also subscribed to the Mail option, just to be safe.

I have a couple of questions, in case anybody can answer them:

1. I've read that Internet Max is supposed to have a 500Mb data limit. Does anybody know if that is actually enforced? Also, is there any way to check your usage? I can't find anything on the Orange website that shows how much data I've used so far.

2. It sounds like the charge for email is for POP3 and SMTP usage. I use an Android phone with the standard gmail app. Does the gmail app run up email usage, or does gmail use a different protocol in the app?

If anybody knows the answers, please let me know.

Old
  (#59)
104001 (Offline)

Default 17-10-2011, 00:19

I second the request from Woody1. I am heading to France with an Orange SIM I just bought from the E-bay seller mentioned previously. I have also heard of the 500mb data limit and am curious if it is enforced at all, and if there is a way to monitor usage.

And to answer your question Woody1. Android / iOS both use the POP3/IMAP protocols to download and store incoming e-mail. The way to avoid this is to use your browser, chrome or other, to go to the mobile Gmail site. The email will not be available offline this way, but it will work without paying for the email add-on.

Old
  (#60)
MayaS (Offline)

Default What if I need more than 500MB? - 17-10-2011, 14:00

I'm travelling to Paris next month for a week, and I'm quite sure I'm going to need more than 500MB, as I plan to use my phone + data plan as an access point for 2 laptops.
Is there any option to go more than 500MB (at extra cost, off course)?

Thanks.

Tags
france, internet data, mobicarte, orange france