PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 11-07-2010, 15:09

Another suggestion is to switch from using Google maps to another application where you can download maps onto the device in advance so that the device operates offline when you are out and about. On Nokia's, you can use their free OVI maps application which I am beginning to find is actually quite good in pedestrian mode. The device can even give you route guidance in discreet beeps and vibrations.

Even in driving mode, the voice guidance in OVI is actually much better than on my dedicated Navman car GPS system! I especially like the "Surfer Dude" voice guidance that you can download for free.

Even though I am a big fan of Google maps, it's high data useage makes it completely impractical for roaming applications. Now I just download the map if the country I am visiting in advance and just stick to OVI maps.

Old
  (#12)
laptopnomad (Offline)
Amateur Member

Exclamation 16-07-2010, 11:54

Here's my experience with 3G PAYG prepaid data in France:

3G prepaid internet access in France with Orange

Info included how to work around the small print to avoid having your prepaid balance zero-ed in no-time. Orange excludes POP/IMAP access from the flat-fee rate, including using the connection on a laptop.

IMHO these small printed conditions are on the sheer edge. A non-tech savvy user doesn't understand these exceptions. It might not even hold in European courts when put on the stand.

Cheers!

The Laptop Junction
Overland by 4x4 truck in Asia, Middle-East and Afrika

Old
  (#13)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-07-2010, 13:40

When I had subscribed to Orange's "Internet Max Journee" and "Weekend" options in May, I was definitely not charged additionally for surfing the web using Firefox on my Netbook (Windows XP, Huawei EM770 datacard). And I did not fake Firefox' user-agent.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#14)
christophe (Offline)
Official Member

Default data France - 16-07-2010, 23:27

hello
as french customer, the best solutions is only to remain on orange, sfr and bouygues data+ phone prepaid cards available on brands shops.
MNVo or exotic data cards are too expensive.

International Prepaid services : YackieMobile +31, GoSimEkit +44 & Truphone +44

Old
  (#15)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 17-07-2010, 01:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophe View Post
MNVo or exotic data cards are too expensive.
With € 1/MB Leclerc mobile seems to be an exception there.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#16)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Thumbs down 18-07-2010, 17:34

Holy shit! I always thought we had it bad here in Switzerland...

I think I'll rather not have mobile Internet on my vacations that deal with this shit.

Thanks anyway for the information.

Old
  (#17)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 21-07-2010, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Leclerc is a chain of super markets, which also have a MVNO-product called "Leclerc mobile". According to their price list they charge € 1/MB (billied in 1KB-increments)
Actually it's 10KB increments.
Quote:
0,001 E/ko (par 10 ko indivisibles), soit 1 E/Mo
Would this work with my unlocked dongle an if yes, what would be the WAP settings?

Old
  (#18)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 27-07-2010, 14:54

Quote:
With € 1/MB Leclerc mobile seems to be an exception there.
Have you had the possibility to try this yourself?

I've been following this guide:

E.LECLERC MOBILE - Paramètres SMS / MMS / WAP

The connection gets established, but I can't access any pages (no matter if it's WAP or not).
I'm using the huawei dongle...

Old
  (#19)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-07-2010, 15:58

No, I've never tried Leclerc. But the solution could be configuring the proxy (010.143.156.009) in your browser.

Old
  (#20)
90180360 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 27-07-2010, 23:28

Quote:
No, I've never tried Leclerc. But the solution could be configuring the proxy (010.143.156.009) in your browser.
I've tried that.

Quote:
Services WAP, MMS et Visio disponibles uniquement avec un téléphone mobile compatible (et dans une zone de couverture 3G pour la visio et le WAP 3G). Les services WAP et MMS ne sont disponibles qu’en France métropolitaine.
Maybe they don't allow dongles, just phones?
Unfortunately I don't have the E52 with me to try.

What's wrong with you, France?