PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 02-05-2010, 05:21

Isn't there zero danger of an inadvertent outgoing call, as the dialing codes are different in Mexico, and the standard 1+area code +7 digits would not go through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack_111 View Post
We live in San Diego and if we go hiking near the Light House in Point Loma we get a message on our Verizon phones that says "Welcome to Mexico" etc. We have to be careful if we make a call not to pay Mexico Roaming. Point Loma is pretty far from the border too.

Old
  (#2)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 02-05-2010, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwi View Post
Isn't there zero danger of an inadvertent outgoing call, as the dialing codes are different in Mexico, and the standard 1+area code +7 digits would not go through?
You should always set up your numbers with the + sign, followed by country code and number so they will work anywhere (such as +12125551212 or +491722222222). It's true, by omitting the GSM-standard plus sign, they might not work in Mexico, but that's no guarantee they won't call something else instead.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#3)
FBlack_111 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 02-05-2010, 21:43

Motel75:

You are probably correct. I never tried making a call when the phone roamed to Mexico. This area has a number of hiking trails and cliffs. My bigger fear was not being able to make a call in the US if we were inadvertently set to roaming. FYI, our carrier is Verizon.

Old
  (#4)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 02-05-2010, 23:02

I did state there was little danger of an inadvertent "outgoing call". An inbound roaming call is probably more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack_111 View Post
Motel75:

You are probably correct. I never tried making a call when the phone roamed to Mexico. This area has a number of hiking trails and cliffs. My bigger fear was not being able to make a call in the US if we were inadvertently set to roaming. FYI, our carrier is Verizon.