PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
SIMCollector (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default German Fonic questions... - 25-09-2010, 15:29

I was given a German Fonic SIM card recently and it has been working well. All the docs with it are in German and I haven't really checked out their website.

I was just wondering if there is credit expiry on it ?

If the SIM will expire if it is not used, top-ups not made, calls not made/received etc ?

Also, is it possible to top-up online ? If so, is it necessary to create an account with them and is English available ?

Is it possible to buy low value top-ups from shops in Germany that I could use some months later ?

Any other useful info on Fonic would be welcomed.

Also is Blau good any more ? I have a SIM that I don't think is activated / hasn't been used and just wondering if it is worth giving that a go too.

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-09-2010, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMCollector View Post
I was given a German Fonic SIM card recently and it has been working well. All the docs with it are in German and I haven't really checked out their website.

I was just wondering if there is credit expiry on it ?
See the "validity" section at Germany - Fonic - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access

Quote:
If the SIM will expire if it is not used, top-ups not made, calls not made/received etc ?
The SIM will not expire, but it will be blocked for outgoing calls, text messages and data connections 6 months after your last recharge, which means that your remaining credit is practically blocked, too. You can fully reactivate the SIM at any time (even months later) by topping up additional credit, which will also release the blocked remaining credit. So neither SIM nor credit expire, but are just blocked temporarily until your next recharge.

Quote:
Also, is it possible to top-up online ? If so, is it necessary to create an account with them and is English available ?
Unfortunately you can only top up online through a German bank account. Their website is only available in German.

Quote:
Is it possible to buy low value top-ups from shops in Germany that I could use some months later ?
You can buy top up-vouchers at local retailers, which can be redeemed even months later, but the smallest ones cost € 20.

Quote:
Any other useful info on Fonic would be welcomed.
check out Germany - Fonic - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access

Quote:
Also is Blau good any more ? I have a SIM that I don't think is activated / hasn't been used and just wondering if it is worth giving that a go too.
Blau charge a connection fee of € 0.15 for each international call, which other operators like Fonic don't have, and Blau is based on the eplus network, which is a low cost carrier with an inferior network.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
Schlips1 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 25-09-2010, 23:23

Validity:
@inquisitor: Are you sure? On the Fonic-URL is stated:
Wie lange ist das aufgeladene Guthaben für die Nutzung verfügbar?
Seit dem 01.02.2008 steht das Guthaben unbegrenzt zur Verfügung.
=> Starting 1st of Feb. 2008 there is no timelimit for the credit anymore!

Validity Top-Ups:
They do not expire if not used - but the paper, they are printed on may bleach out....

Top up:
Inside the EU (and EFTA) you may use the bank transfer:
Überweisung FONIC ? Prepaid-Wiki
In Short:
- Send a (empty) SMS to 63633
- You 'll get a code back with the Reference-Code
- Make an EU bank transfer to
- Fonic GmbH
- IBAN: DE03 7002 0270 0668 5192 37
- BIC: HYVEDEMMXXX
- Reference-Code
- Amount (what you like - starting with one Euro-Cent).

Old
  (#4)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-09-2010, 22:00

I'm not sure if SIMs are still disabled for outgoing calls 6 months after the last recharge. That's at least how it used to be until recently.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#5)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-09-2010, 13:27

Thanks for the great information.

I just used Fonic for a week in Germany for both voice and data. It was fabulous. And, yes, I remembered to cancel the data plan before leaving Germany.

I'll be back in Germany in June and would love to keep this card alive until then. I gather it is possible.

Old
  (#6)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 30-09-2010, 23:15

I don't know if Fonic still enforce their previous practice of blocking outgoing calls six months after the last recharge. If it's still the case you just need to recharge your credit when returning to Germany in order to unblock outgoing calls and release the remaining credit. If it's not the case you don't need to do anything to keep the SIM alive.

Old
  (#7)
CptBill (Offline)

Default 19-10-2010, 19:33

hello guys. Just purchased 2 fonic prepay packages too for me and my gf. The calling charge for landlines in Europe is just great! Only 9 cents per minute.

My question has to do with the tagesflat internet:

We have sent the sms for activation this morning (start tagesflat at 36642 and after the sms we received, we sent "ja"), and the received the following:

Quote:
"vielen dank fur die bestellung vot tages flat. Die Bearbeitung kann einige zeit dauern.. Sie erhalten nach erfolgter buchung eine sms bestatigung"
how long does it take for the package to get activated? It has been 10 hours since then and the tagesflat hasnt been activated

Old
  (#8)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-10-2010, 13:47

When I requested a tariff change to the "Tagesflat" last week, activation was confirmed only the next morning. However it was actually already active minutes after I sent the SMS.
Check your credit (*101#), go online for a minute and visit Google, disconnect and check your credit again (*101#) - if € 2.50 was deducted from your credit, the Tagesflat is active already. If less than € 2.50 have been charged, you're still on the volume based tariff (€ 0.024/100KB).

Last edited by inquisitor; 20-10-2010 at 14:09..

Old
  (#9)
pseudo (Offline)

Default new fonic sim - 01-11-2010, 19:29

Hi guys,

I purchased a FONIC sim a week back and activated the Monthly 10 eur data plan. Though the 10 eur was deducted and my mobile internet is working, i did not get a confirmation msg that the plan is activated. Is that a problem ?

Also, i wanted to know if there are any extra mailbox/voicemail charges on fonic prepaid, and if i need to disable this ?

Old
  (#10)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 01-11-2010, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I purchased a FONIC sim a week back and activated the Monthly 10 eur data plan. Though the 10 eur was deducted and my mobile internet is working, i did not get a confirmation msg that the plan is activated. Is that a problem ?
If you're not billed for data usage anymore (except for the monthly fee of € 10), there's no problem. If you're still charged volume-based you should contact customer care.

Quote:
Also, i wanted to know if there are any extra mailbox/voicemail charges on fonic prepaid, and if i need to disable this ?
No, there's no charge for the mailbox, at least for you. Neither is there a fee for having voicemail activated nor will you be billed for listening to your messages (at least within Germany). Callers of course are billed when the mailbox picks up a call as if you would answer the call.

Tags
fonic, germany