PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Using Italian Wind in Canada - 04-11-2008, 19:01

I've been trying to use my Italian Wind prepaid in Canada. It recieves the Rogers network but when I try to dial a local number +1-403-**** Roger says Wind has not authorized my use in Canada. I have sent an SMS message to Wind with no problem and I can use my phone as a modem with my laptop but no luck in using it as a phone!

Old
  (#2)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-11-2008, 21:51

Sometimes there is a dial code that you can use.

Try *111*+1403xxxyyyy# or *123*+1403xxxyyyy#.

Expect it to be expensive to use, alas.

Not all prepaid SIMs permit outbound calls in Canada, even when they permit inbound calls.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-11-2008, 13:42

With Wind you have to dial:
Code:
*124*+1403xxxyyyy#
Calls from Canada will cost you 2 eur/min...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#4)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-11-2008, 15:50

Thanks guys but nothing seems to work. I have "easy roaming" and "call your country" so I can call Canada from Italy cheaply and I can call Italy from Canada but I can't call within Canada!
I can add money to my Wind card over the internet from Canada using my Visa card but I can't refill my wife's TIM card as TIM seems to only accept Italian Visa cards?
I had hoped to use my wind phone in Canada as I don't use a cell phone much and it would save me maintaining a Canadian number but I guess I'am out of luck.

Old
  (#5)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 05-11-2008, 16:29

There are at least a couple low cost alternatives for infrequent use in Canada.

PetroCanada Mobile - min $20 (~13 Euros) refill every 180 days - $0.20/minute
7-Eleven SpeakOut - min $25 (~16 Euros) refill every 365 days - $0.25/minute

Both offer a starter pack including a low end Nokia phone, SIM card and $5 credit for $50-60.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#6)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-11-2008, 21:53

I've got a Virgin mobile, $100 for 1 year but the battery is dying. They want $40 for the battery so I was hoping to use my Wind instead. I've got several phones so I don't want another phone and you have to buy the phone with Petro Canada or 7Eleven. Maybe I'll try my wife's TIM card and see if it works.

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-11-2008, 10:17

The *124* roaming should work on Rogers but I really don't get the sense of spending 2 EUR/min for each call, even with the Easy Roaming (still 2 EUR for the first minute).

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#8)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-11-2008, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
I've got a Virgin mobile, $100 for 1 year but the battery is dying. They want $40 for the battery
By "they" you probably mean Virgin. "They" are a rip-off. Try eBay. You may be able to find an OEM battery for ~$10.

Quote:
you have to buy the phone with Petro Canada or 7Eleven.
Officially, yes, but you can find individual SIMS and/or airtime top-ups at http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/speak/

There are also rumours of another SpeakOut promotion starting 16Nov. Usually that means buy $100 of airtime (~500 local minutes) and get a free Nokia 1600 or 1208. You could use the SIM out of that and sell the "free" phone (it's unlocked) on the site above or eBay. By contrast, at 2€/min you'd go through $100 in ~30min.

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+

Old
  (#9)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-11-2008, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
Rogers
Better known in Canada as Robbers

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+

Old
  (#10)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 06-11-2008, 15:17

*124* dosen't work with the 403 area code. I suspect this is a Roger's thing rather than WIND. I guess I will have to carry 2 phones around and get a new battery for my Virgin Mobile phone!

On another point entirely my cell phone has no reception in our house in Italy. I have to walk outside the village ( 2 houses down) or into the little Piazza in order to use the phone. I suspect it's the 2 feet of rock in our house walls but we may be in an area of weak signal? Does anyone else have this problem?

Tags
canada, wind it