PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#51)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 27-04-2009, 13:01

You should also remember that the new Wind plus non-stop only offers 40MB/month for surfing outside the Wind plus portal! From there on you get charged!

Old
  (#52)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-04-2009, 10:45

I bought a Cosmokarte. No indication of free 15 days MyView as mentioned earlier by caliston. SMS 'WAP' to 1333 failed - "the activation of your function not immediately possible...ring customer services". CS (1313 then key 9 and wait) subscribed me to WAP & MyView (I think) but she said she could not subscribe me to My View 'n' Web - only I could do it though the cosmotemyview.gr website - which she admitted is only in Greek. She said I should go into "my account" and select monthly payment. I tried - but it just wiped out the 10euro on the card (I had added 9 so that I could pay for MyView 'n' Web).

I want to try again in an internet cafe. Can anyone give me instructions on setting up MyView 'n' Web using the website in Greek? I don't have an account: do I have to create a login and link the phone number to it?

The CS lady also said that Cosmote SMS messages are not available in English.

Old
  (#53)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 30-04-2009, 15:26

In order to help you, I started to register my Cosmokarta with the my account system so I'm still waiting for the confirmation SMS and I'll give you the first steps here:
First you go to cosmote.gr and click on the my account icon on the top right side of the site. Then click the second radio button that says "COSMOKAPTA/WHAT'S UP" next to the greek gibberish.
Then, click the first option (it's selected by default) which means you'll sign up using your user password (a five digit password printed on the plastic folding of your sim card next to the greek text "ΚΩΔΙΚΟΣ ΧΡΗΣΤΗ" (KODIKOS XPHSTH, meaning "user code"). On the next page you have five textboxes, you fill them as follows: username, email address, 10-digit cosmote phone number and 5-digit user code, then click either e-mail or SMS to receive your password by email or SMS! (If you're not in Greece and can't receive sms on your cosmokarta, choose email).
After they validate your data they will send you your password by email or sms (depending on what you choose on this page)!

I'm still waiting for mine!

If you don't have the 5-digit user code, then you can't sign up for "My account" through the website...

I'll get back to you as soon as I get my password for the rest of the steps you need to take to sign up for WEB'n'MAIL...

Old
  (#54)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-04-2009, 18:22

Thanks. I have the user code - customer serviices always asks for it.

I sail south from Nidri (Lefkada) tomorrow - not sure where the next wifi will be. But I will be back on here when I can.

Dave
yachtvigdis.wordpress.com

Old
  (#55)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 01-05-2009, 10:31

After you login for the first time with the password you receive on your mobile or email, you get a screen that asks you to change the password, first box is for the old password (the one they sent you) and the next two boxes are for the new one you choose (accept or OK, is the second button, which should be selected by default), then you get another screen with just one button, click that and you're on the main "my account" page, You see your mobile phone number, click on it and you get the options.
Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find any option for Web'n'walk...
On the web interface, I found an option to activate Cosmote my View...
Probably you have to access their My View portal on your mobile, and from there access the "my account" section and ask for the Web'n'mail plan... It's nowhere to be found on the web interface...

Old
  (#56)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 03-05-2009, 15:33

Thanks for your help, gmmour. I have set up an account. But I cannot see a way of subscribing to My View 'n' Web on the cosmote internet website.

The option 'prices' (6th down on the left) says (google translate):

For more economical and navigation, you can choose the monthly pass «my view 'n' web», charge 4 € / month for 1 months to enjoy unlimited navigation COSMOTE my view and 40MV navigation in Internet and WAP sites selection your! The navigation to specific sites on the threshold of 40MV, will be charged with 0,0119 € / CG.
The activation of a monthly pass «my view 'n' web» can be done through COSMOTE my view or in the shops COSMOTE. If you activate the first pass at a shop COSMOTE, and you have xanaepiskeftei the COSMOTE my view or is within 15 days of acquaintance, you will have 50% discount.

I suspect this means that it can only be activated through the WAP service itself - not the internet website. (The helpdesk lady would have assumed that I was going to do it that way.)

I may have to try that, but before I do I would like your opinion. I've just put another 9EUR on the phone and I don't want to lose it again!

I could go into a shop - but they might expect me to use the WAP browser on the phone. I've never actually used WAP on the phone. In fact, although it's unlocked it's still branded T-mobile UK and if you start the phone browser it goes to their site. (That's probably what ate the last 9EUR.) I didn't mention before that the CS lady sent me the phone-configuration message, and gave me the PIN, and it didn't work - perhaps because the WAP settings are locked to T-mobile. So I must use my Nokia N810 tethered to the N70 phone - and that's not a WAP browser (it's Firefox or Fennec). So I may be unable to do anything that involves the Cosmote MyView WAP site. Complicated, isn't it

So, your guesses as to what to do next would be appreciated.

Dave
(Poros, Kefalonia)

Old
  (#57)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-05-2009, 20:11

I figured out how to get the WAP browser on my phone to go to Cosmote and not T-mobile. On first access to the WAP portal (wap.cosmotemyview.gr) I got a long welcome screen which tells me I have 15 days free access.

The portal has 2 tabs - Home and My Account. The latter has an option MyView Charges (xreoseis - sorry - I can't type Greek on this Nokia tablet) and within that there is an option which probably subscribes you to MyView'n'Web (Miniaio paso ...) once the 15 days free use is up.

So in summary:
- When you get your Cosmokarte, activate it by making a call anywhere and listening to the Greek message to the very end.
- Activate WAP by sending 'WAP' to 1333 (didn't work for me - don't know why) or ringing Customer Services (1313 then key 9 and wait)
- Configure the WAP browser on your phone as previous posts (that's what I did) or get CS to send a config message (my PIN was 1) or maybe the 'WAP' SMS does it automatically. (You just need to set the APN and WAP homepage.)
- Access WAP on the phone and note the expiry of the free period.
- You can then forget WAP and use the phone as a modem - after setting the APN & proxy server.
- When the free period expires I hope to subscribe to MyView'n'Web via the WAP PORTAL.

I now have 2 40Mb/month services - Wind & Cosmote (which use different HTTP proxies). The Cosmote internet access allows me to access my email and PPGSM - unlike Wind. Both work with Windfinder.

I've restricted the phone to GPRS - not 3G (not much 3G out in the islands anyway); I don't know if it's necessary - the CS lady said that 3G was activated automatically.

This post comes to you via Cosmote from a boat at anchor off Methoni at the end of the Peloponnese.

Old
  (#58)
gig (Offline)

Default 22-05-2009, 16:26

I may be there in late July, but would really like to stay connected for work. For the most part I'll be in Atheras (northwest part of the island). I believe Lixouri has 3G coverage now, but further out they only get GPRS, which I'm afraid may be way too slow.

I've sent messages out to both Wind and Vodafone and Wind has an interesting offer:

WIND HELLAS

see the bottom where you can get:

WIND exclusively……Unlimited Mobile Broadband for 2 weeks & USB modem Alcatel X020, at €99

Alcatel X020 &NS7
Only WIND offers the amazing Alcatel USB modem X020 and 2 weeks unlimited mobile browsing for just €99

The 99 EUR deal seems pretty sweet for two weeks of access, which is what I'd like to have to stay connected to work while I'm on the island. Apparently Lixouri has 3G coverage, but likely not in Atheras, which is where I'll be. Any have any experience with using the data USB modem outside of the 3G coverage in Kef? is it worthless? If I could get anything above 56K it'd be greate, but I'm fearing it's only 9-10K in the village.

anyone know anything about this deal?

Thanks!

Last edited by andy; 07-06-2009 at 16:31.. Reason: posts merged

Old
  (#59)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 24-05-2009, 20:44

Having used up the free period, I have now successfully subscribed to a 4€ monthly pass using the WAP portal.

1 Select 'My Account'
2 Scroll down and look for 'Monthly Pass' - 'Miniaio paso' (apologies to any Greek reading this.) Select that.
3 You get a page of details on charges. Look again for 'Monthly Pass' and select it.
4 You get a page telling you what you'll get and that it'll cost 4€. Select 'Activate' - 'Energopoiesi' (like 'energize'). The other button 'Akuro' is cancel.
5 You should get a 'successful activation' - 'epituxis ...' page and your credit should have been reduced by 4€. There is no confirming SMS.

I don't think that this renews automatically, or that I'll get a warning SMS when it expires, but I won't know for a month.

I know that some sailors like me read this site, so I've collected together the Cosmokarte and My View'n'Web stuff, and added some information about using it for sailing weather forecasts, here:

Greek Internet Weather Yacht Vigdis

(Corrections and comments welcome.)

Dave

Old
  (#60)
nicolaerugina (Offline)

Default 03-06-2009, 06:33

Hi to you, all,

I was goint throw all this topic and I found some good advices, but some of them there are older than a year!!!! Some of them no more available on today! Maybe!!!

I am traveling soon in Greece (islands Mikonos, Rhodos, Santorini, Crete) on a short vacation!!! LOL, it is good when you have vacation!!! But, but I need still to be "ONLINE" for emails (some time even you are in vacation, you need to be connected with your work place).

I was looking for a 3G mobile SIM which I can put in my nokia mobile and connect my EeePC by cable to access Internet, Emails...etc.

I have also an Huawei 220 HSPA modem.

I am looking for something for 2 weeks and my trafic will be around 15MB daily.

Did anybody have some advice? Which option is the best (3G Mobile SIM or HSPA), which operator, which card, what is the cost and I can have coverage on all island?

Thank you
Nick

Tags
cosmote, greece gprs, vodafone gr, wind gr