Old
  (#51)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 01-07-2008, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxor84 View Post
Hello!
I'm writing you with my laptop using opera and wind plus non stop.

But I have some problems.
1) I cannot read my yahoo e-mail, using whatever browser. It seems wind plus non stop doesn't allow it.
2) I'm in Chalkidiki. Often it seems that this wind plus non stop doesn't work or is too slow. Are there other particular settings for the browsers or something else?

Thank you.
Your best chance is to go with the mobile version of the site. Yahoo! mail has one for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57g View Post
was/is ''Wind Plus non-stop'' not originally to be a WAP-only service? could this not be the reason
that certain things are blocked and cannot be made to work? even if it worked before, maybe they
got smart and noticed how many users were actually on laptops etc.

see my post on the sticky above: i have a feeling the service is turned off, or at least not offered
anymore to new customers
. wish somebody in GR cld check and confirm this, either way, as i will
only be there late july.

greetings - heinz -
The service is still available! Here's the refference on their site you were looking for in the other thread: http://www.wind.com.gr/pages.fds?langid=2&pageid=1512

Old
  (#52)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 01-07-2008, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57g View Post
was/is ''Wind Plus non-stop'' not originally to be a WAP-only service? could this not be the reason that certain things are blocked and cannot be made to work?
Yes, I'm sure that is the reason. I was sometimes served WML pages instead of html - I assume that the proxy was altering the http requests in some way.
Quote:
...even if it worked before, maybe they got smart and noticed how many users were actually on laptops etc..
Maybe they read this forum! I don't think they could reliably detect whether someone is using a tethered laptop, but they could certainly look at the browser identification strings (UA string) and detect browsers that don't run on phones. I was going to try changing the UA string of Firefox to Opera Mini to see if it was any better. But I doubt if Wind are bothered by a few people using the service in this way; we are paying, and it won't have much effect on the service.
Quote:
.see my post on the sticky above: i have a feeling the service is turned off, or at least not offered anymore to new customers. wish somebody in GR cld check and confirm this, either way, as i will only be there late july.
I return in late August so let us know how you get on.

As I said above, I'd use and pay for a proper internet service if there was one at a reasonable price - like with WInd Italy. (Are you reading this, Wind GR?)

Old
  (#53)
heinz57g (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 01-07-2008, 14:35

>> I'd use and pay for a proper internet service

thats probably the issue, because what is paid now (under 4 EUR/month) is plain luck on our side.
and if it is correct that thousands of students found out, and were using that 'service', i would not
like, but understand WINDs reaction - comparable real services, if at all available for tourists,
being 40-100 EUR/m.

has anybody ever used that service on modems like the HUAWEI E220? what would the setting be?

the EU has come up with a new regulation (yesterday?), and as far as i know, greece would be
included in some reduced cost schemes that ORANGE (and others) immediately announced.
give it a few days to be sorted out. either way.

greetings - heinz -

Old
  (#54)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 05-07-2008, 11:17

I think I now have a work-round to the HTML mangling (XML parsing error) problem caused by Wind's WAP Proxy. It uses privoxy and seems to work on both my laptop and the Nokia N810 tablet - though I cannot test it with Wind's proxy from here in the UK. It changes the http 'content type' header to text/html which (in Firefox at least) stops the browser trying to parse as XML.

The relevant configuration lines are:

In config:
# Wind's proxy server
forward / 192.168.200.10:9401

In user.action:
# Change content type on all sites to html
{+server-header-filter{xml-to-html}}
/

Install, run, and set up privoxy as in its documentation.

Feedback from anyone in Greece using Wind + Non-Stop welcome. I've only tried it with Mozilla-based browsers.

Technical thread about privoxy on the Nokia tablet here.

Old
  (#55)
pontusb (Offline)

Default Wind plus with nokia e90 - 28-07-2008, 14:30

Hi!

Thanks for all good info in this thread. I have used wind plus with my Nokia E90 for 10- days on my vacation at Naxos.

It just works perfect with the built in browser. Better than with Opera mini in fact. I have not had any problems downloading large pages or reading https-pages.

The only thing I have not figured out is how to listen to live internet-radio. I have done the settings in real player (real player installed on my E90) with the proxies mentioned in this thread but it still does not work. Any ideas?

Pontus

Old
  (#56)
vladabgd (Offline)

Default 28-07-2008, 19:30

I need simple wap over gprs in greece for 10 days.. which operator and packet would you sugest me ? the most important to me is price of data transfered via gprs (I'll not download more then 3-4 megabytes) and price of sms to foreign networks.

thanks

Old
  (#57)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 30-07-2008, 13:33

@pontusb: This the "catch"! The Wind Plus proxy does not allow streaming! That's why you can browse without problems but you can't use neither streaming nor POP, IMAP e-mail servers...
I agree that the Nokia Browser on newer N-series phones is far better than Opera. The bad thing is that if you don't have 3G it takes time to load the pictures, whilst Opera compresses the pictures and it takes less time when not under 3G coverage!

BUT! Opera Mini is annoying compared to Nokia (or other phone browsers) because it goes through an Opera proxy in Norway and most times of the day this Opera proxy is so congested that you might wait for minutes for a page to load on Opera mini, whilst a phone browser directly connects to the internet and works fine all day long!

@vladabgd: The best offer as described here is Wind Plus Non-stop which will cost you a flat rate of 3,49 for your 10 days in Greece. As long as you don't want to download big files (larger than 1MB each) and you just browse websites and access webmail (not POP or IMAP mail, only webmail) then it will work just fine for you.
Buy a Wind F2G prepaid SIM from any kiosk in Greece and send "PLUS" to 19349, after that 3,49 Euros will be deducted from your balance (so make sure you have at least 4-5 Euro balance before you do that) and you will have unlimited internet access through the Wind GPRS access point (download settings online at www.wind.com.gr).

Wind F2G prepaid offers a basic package as well as "price commitment" packages that match virtually all competitive offers in the Greek market, just do your math on the www.wind.com.gr website and find out which package suits you best and activate it on your F2G mobile for free! It is good that they match all competitive offers from other networks (Cosmote, Vodafone and MVNOs) so you don't have to worry about not getting as good prices as with another company...

Have a good time in Greece!

Old
  (#58)
lotis (Offline)

Default 30-07-2008, 22:07

Will cost how many card Wind F2G prepaid SIM? Will be possible it to activate internet from limit 3,49 Euro too directly Wind Plus Non-stop ?
Do something belong to buy else?

Old
  (#59)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 31-07-2008, 01:05

Online translators are pure crap...

A Wind F2G prepaid SIM costs 5 Euro and will give you 1 Euro upon activation and 1 Euro every month for the next four months, provided that you have spent at least 1 Euro in the previous month. This means that in 5 months from activation you get your 5 Euro back... Confusing, if you try to decode that on an online translator...

You can activate Wind plus non-stop at any time, if you have at least 3,49 Euro balance in your account. This means you have to top-up before you activate wind plus non-stop...

You don't have to buy anything else...

Powodzenia translating...

Last edited by gmmour; 31-07-2008 at 15:46..

Old
  (#60)
lotis (Offline)

Default 31-07-2008, 14:13

Yes I know, translators translate not well .W this case, not just me 5 euro pre-paid and all, thanks for your help.